Aerges' DCS: Mirage F1

French birds usually do have very nice legs.
;D

(there i made an almost sexist joke to cover your)

4 Likes

Some of you may be giving “the French” too much credit. Dassault gives its designs a certain look that I submit is more corporate than national. The inelegant Super Etendard came from there as well but I blame that on the unholy matchup with Breguet.

5 Likes

That does make sense. IIRC, Marcel Dassault himself insisted on extending the leading edge of the vertical stab on the 2000, “to make it more beautiful”. Can’t find that anymore, not sure where I read it, so take it with a grain of salt.

And while Breguet has also made planes of questionable appearance such as this dual-cylinder fuselage sub hunter:

And what is essentially a slightly less ugly and perhaps more practical version of the Fairey Gannett:

They are also the company that made the main landing gear constructions we are all :drooling_face: about, found on the Jaguar and Mirage F1:

6 Likes

I was just thinking that. The F1, M2000, and Rafale all have very similar vert stabs.

2 Likes

I have said before that the F1 landing legs remind me of a cowboy stance.

That jaguar main landing gear always reminds me of a bird of prey coming in to attack …:grinning: I think it the slight forward angle

2 Likes

MiG 23 has such gear too.

3 Likes

How dare you be rude about the glorious gannet.

She has a unique beauty :laughing:

4 Likes

I spotted a eurasian crane land on the banks of the Rhine on my commute this week and the head on profile reminded me a lot of the F1 :smiley:

4 Likes

Another one because it is so much fun :slight_smile: Now I will shut up about bombing in the F1 for a while…

6 Likes

Please don’t! Just keep posting videos and tell us the numbers please!

For me these videos with a full IP, ingress and egress combined with bombing profile numbers help me so much more than just the tables.

5 Likes

Here is some raw stuff that I noted down so far:

Dumb bombs**, 15° dive angle, 1’500 ft AGL release:
500 KTAS - 82 mils
520 KTAS - 69 mils
540 KTAS - 64 mils
560 KTAS - 59 mils
580 KTAS - 53 mils
** At this short time of flight, ballistic for all unguided bombs seem the same

Belouga CBU, level release, 500 ft
500 KTAS - 114 mils
520 KTAS - 108 mils
540 KTAS - 106 mils
560 KTAS - 98 mils
580 KTAS - 94 mils

Belouga CBU, 15° dive angle, 1’500 ft AGL release:
500 KTAS - 100 mils
520 KTAS - 85 mils
540 KTAS - 77 mils
560 KTAS - 71 mils
580 KTAS - 65 mils

I would not get too hung up on the single digit mils values, as this is highly weight dependent. A change of 1° AOA will impart a difference of 18 mils. Also in practice you will most likely never bomb to this kind of precision. Still, as the mils values at different speeds where gathered at the same weight, it gives a you a precise idea how much mils change with speed.

For the pop-up bombing attack I figured out the following profile:
-Initiate at 4 NM from target flying directly at target.
-Turn 30° offset from target.
-Pull 30° climb in full AB.
-Initiate roll-in and pull-down when climbing through 3’000 ft above target elevation.
-This will result in a 15° dive on target for a 1’500 ft AGL release.
-During the pull-down and dive, control throttle to attain the desired attack speed in KTAS.

7 Likes

Have any of you virtual pilots of the Mirage F-1CE had any issues with the Alternator caution light coming on during high altitude flights? It’s been happening to me a few times, always cruising up at say between 25-30 thousand feet and then boom, alternator caution light comes on indicating there is a problem.

Now I’ve seen in the manual that one has to be careful with the airflow in the fighter due to “cooling issues” with equipment and how the air-cooling intakes are designed. I’m still wrapping my head around this. Do any of you have suggestions as to preventing this from happening? What parameters do I need to keep in mind while flying this superb fighter? Does this happen to anyone flying at lower altitude?

3 Likes

Since release, the alternators overheat too easily. This has been reported over at the bug reports section of the official forum:

They should overheat only in the shaded areas of the graph in the manual (also posted in that thread, below Mach 0.6 or above 30K feet), but with the current (ha!) modeling they often overheat between 25 and 30 thousand feet at high speeds.

I have been flying below 25K feet except for those times when I wanted to go high supersonic, to evade this problem. Let’s hope this gets fixed soon.

4 Likes

Is this the HYPO warning or is that something else? I’ve had that pop up at the strangest times.

No idea about that one, will have a read at the manual because I want to learn this aircraft inside out and it sounds interesting.
The warning lights for the alternators are labeled ALT1, ALT2

1 Like

Animated GIF

3 Likes

Definitely something else. HYPO warning, I think has something to do with you having your “combat flaps” deployed while moving too fast.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will try the lower altitudes to see if that temporarily solves my issues with the alternators. Cheers.

1 Like
1 Like