Aginor's profoundly weird Baseball thread

For @Aginor, “Time out” in baseball is a weird thing since a baseball game as no time limit…the team with the most runs after the 9th inning wins. I am pretty sure that any player in the field (defense) can call a time out. Base runners? I would think if he has a base running reason like tying his shoe.

I’ve seen catchers call time to go talk to the pitcher on the mound.

And managers (the old looking guys that are in a baseball uniform but rarely come out of the dugout) can call time, usually to replace a pitcher.

That last is an interesting evolution that is not in the rule book. The manager calls time out. There is a place for each team, adjacent to the field that is called the Bullpen. Essentially just a long narrow area where pitchers can warm up while the game is in progress.

If, after calling time out and while walking to the pitcher’s mound, the manager looks over his bull pen and points to his left arm, that means he wants a left handed pitcher as a replacement (aka a “south paw”…no, right handed pitchers are not known as “north paws”, the are creatively know as …um…right handed pitchers)

The manager gets to the mound and starts talking to the pitcher–many times the catcher also comes out to the mound. The pitcher is most likely holding the ball. So, while you cannot hear what they are saying out there, you keep your eye on the ball. If the pitcher gives the ball to the manager, that means he is being relieved. The manager then passes the ball to the relief pitcher, and usually jogs off the field (remember, they are usually old guys). Play continues when the Umpire signals it.

1 Like

…uh… do I understand correctly:
A sacrifice fly cannot be used to score a last run at the end of the inning?

1 Like

OK, got it. Makes sense since running to 1st is required. If they on third took big lead or was just faster than the batter, it could certainly happen…though I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

Still it is one of those things to remember when out in the field. In your situation, at 1 or 0 outs, “the play” is at home. But if there are two outs the play is at first, since it is a forced out, i.e. doesn’t involve tagging the batter/runner, and any “runs” don’t count.

For me, it is the little nuances that are baseball fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

Probably one of my favorite rules in baseball, as it’s a “failure to do right” kind of rule. IE play the game by the spirit not the letter of the game. Since it was added, you don’t ever really see the situation where it applies as there is no reason for a team to try it.

The setup: Runners on 2nd and 1st, or bases loaded. For our example we’ll use 1st and 2nd. The batter hits a fly ball.

What I as a fielding player want to happen is a double or triple play. However the only way I can accomplish this is to allow for the ball to drop (ie no longer on the fly) as the runners are now forced off their based. The plan would be to let it hit, and then rifle the ball over to third, and then 2nd for a double play. So to prevent me from just watching the ball drop and then getting a double or triple play, the infield fly rule came into being.

The umpire, based on his opinion that an infielder with ordinary effort could have caught the ball, can single the rule in effect. When he does so, this automatically forces the batter out. Thus even if the ball is not caught on the fly, I as the defensive player can not force a double or triple play (shoddy base running, and run downs might cause one to still occur however). So now as a defensive player I have no motivation to not catch the ball on an infield fly play.

One thing to note is that the way the rule is written technically a deep high fly ball, well past the base path, can still be an infield fly rule play. If the umpire feels an infield player with ordinary effort would be able to make the catch. It matters not if the ball lands at the feet of say the left fielder, or even hits the wall.

A sacrifice fly can not score if that is the third out, would be a better phrasing.

1 Like

Yep, it’s pretty common, just the camera’s don’t show it. There’s always the chance for an error, so if you’re on third you run like it matters regardless.

1 Like

Yep you are correct. Remember that the base runners must touch the base that they were last on, after the ball is caught, before they can run. If they do not, they can be forced out by throwing the ball to the base, and a defensive player catches it with his foot on the base.

That said, with two out, the runner(s) will “be going on the fly ball”, i.e. when the ball is hit.
The reason: If it is caught, it is the third out, ending that “at bat” for the team. no other outs are applicable. However, if the ball is not caught by a fielder, the runners obviously don’t have to “check” the base (touch the before running). Thus they might as well run right away on the possibly that the ball is not caught, thus the batter is not out, thus no 3rd out.

Running when the ball is hit gives the base runners a huge advantage. The defense can do nothing until the ball is fielded (in the possession of a defense player)…on a long fly ball–the ball traveling from the bat, arcing out to the outfield, being fielded, and then thrown so that it is traveling all the way back into the infield…that might easily be enough time where he a runner might score from second base…most assuredly he will score from third base.

If less than two outs the runners keep one foot on the bag until the ball is caught. Once caught, they run.

1 Like

It can be…even somebody like myself, who grew up with baseball and played baseball when young, doesn’t know it all…not nearly. So first, just look at the basics:

The pitcher throws the ball to the catcher. The catcher catches the ball. There is a guy standing near the catcher with a wooden stick who tries to hit the ball before the catcher can catch it. If he doesn’t hit it enough times he is out. If he does hit it, he runs.

…everything else is just a refinement of that.

EDIT: Oh yeah…for some reason you are not allowed to bring the stick with you when running around the bases…probably a safety thing…

5 Likes

Ok I still cannot decide on a team.

So please help me pick one, based on the following criteria:

• east coast preferred, because then I can watch games live. Probably.
  • shouldn’t be the team everyone else absolutely hates (if such a thing exists)
  • should not be a really bad team, I want to see good plays
  • should not be THE best team (I want to void being “that guy”, you know)

between these fI’ve, any good? And why? (I picked them using a secret method)

• Braves
  • Pirates
  • Reds
  • Nationals
  • Cardinals

I’m guessing that secret forumla has nothing to do with the previous post then :smiley:

Not only. I used something I call the “Monroe factor” additionally.

no idea what the monroe factor is (their uniforms look good?), but i was being a bit literal.

Rather than negatively responding to the list, may I offer a suggestion of the Brewers. (not east coast, central so 1 hour off, but 3 of your 5 original list also play in that division)

absolutely hated? nope (outside of fans of division rivals, but that can be said of any team really)

Good team, made it to the NL championship series last year.

Not the best team, even being one of the “final four” last year, no one is going to give you grief for following them this year.

*bonus - heavily beer oriented,
there’s this

and finally you’re not going to want to mute the TV listening to their coverage.

1 Like

Thanks!

Monroe factor:
Use Bill Monroe’s birth place (somewhere in Kentucky) and look which teams are closest. :smiley:

1 Like

-The Braves will break your heart every September, but I still cheer for them religiously, because southerner.
-As a southerner, I was born and raised to hate the Pirates. Thankfully, Dr. Girlfriend (a native Pittsburger) doesn’t like baseball.
-As a North Carolinian, I dislike pretty much anything having to do with Cincinnati. Except Ken Griffey, Jr.
-The Nats have had up and down years, and should be good to watch this year.
-I was born in St. Louis, and we’d go visit my grandparents in St. Petersburg every year in time for spring training. I have a very, very special place in my heart for the Cards, and will always cheer for them, even over the Braves.

Hope this helps?

1 Like

I believe that the spring training games are free on mlb.tv, maybe check things out. Not the best for judging how good a team will be this year, but you can at least get an idea of who you might have to listen to all year long.

1 Like

That’s a good advice. The broadcasting team being good surely is a factor, especially for Baseball noobs like me.

And then there is one that is out of my control completely, and that’s availability of streams I can watch. But I will see that once the season starts.

that’s ok, no one from Pittsburgh acknowledges their existence anyway unless they’re winning :joy:

2 Likes

That’s a bit of a shame- they’ve got that gorgeous stadium in the middle of downtown, right by the rivers.

Then again, maybe that’s the problem. There are lots of great bars in the middle of downtown, right by the rivers.

If it isn’t too much asked, could you briefly explain why?
I am interested in such cultural things, we have such animosities in Germany as well, for example the rivalry between Cologne and Düsseldorf, which dates back to the 12th century.

MLB.tv will give you everyone since you’re completely out of market. You just have to pony up the $$.

Also the broadcasters for spring training are not always the ones you’ll listen to all season long. It depends whos covering the game, and in spring training that’s a flip. Sometimes MLB Network, sometimes team coverage, etc…

1 Like