Angela McCloud (ANGEL WINGS), Comic heroine

wow this man can draw. His planes are 11/10. His women… Not quite as rivetcountingly perfect :wink: 8/10

3 Likes

@schurem. Agree. No artist is 100% perfect. But he is still improving.

From this year:

Ditto, a closer look:

Ditto, concept:

© R. Hugault, 2020

1 Like

The aviation series “Angels Wings” was inspired by the famous aviation series “Buck Danny”, who startet in January 1947 and is still going strong (visit: Buck Danny. Cartoon hero! ).
At first just one trilogy was intended, like Hugault’s previous projects. But because off very successful, a 2nd trilogy (cycle 2) was introduced. And the fans wanted even more, so Angela McCloud will, like Buck Danny, take part in the Korean War too. Buck Danny’s adventures during WW-II (6 volumes) and during the Korean War (5 volumes) were (and are still) bestsellers also.

Below: Brussels 2016. Meanwhile a historic scene: artist Romain Hugault (left) and scenarist Yann are on a relaxed way preparing a 2nd cycle of Angel Wings (on behalve of the fans and their publisher):

But today Romain Hugault has other plans, so the final cycle (#3) will be a diptych. Aviation series Angel Wings will then consist of 8 volumes.
As Lt. Angela McCloud is a fifinella, her job as a WASP pilot will finished in December 1944, when the WASP was disbanded. And as the Korean War was during the early 50s, the creative team (Yann and Hugault) saw an inconsistency coming. So during the 2nd cycle of Angel Wings, the readers learn that Angela McCloud is an OSS agent too. As a pilot and a OSS (today CIA) agent, she can take part in the Korean War.
After more than 6 years of Angel Wings, artist Romain Hugault this year took a break, but during Autumn 2021 we may look forward to Angel Wings volume 7!

The first preview from Angel Wings volume 7 (from 8):

Probably this 3rd cycle will again show some great art, like:

concept:

finally:

A Lysander:

finally:

3 Likes

LOL!

(from Angel Wings #3)

4 Likes

I just love those drawings!
Do you know where one could buy the english translations?

I see some in English for 90 USD. No Thanks! I got two French ones. They are beautiful.

@Troll.
Angel Wings, cycle 1 (volumes 1 - 3) and oneshot The First Flight in english (so far): English books (romainhugault.com)

Skip the UK- issue of trilogy The Grand Duke, as this album is down-sized. The great art from Romain Hugault suffers from downsizing. And the print- and paper quality is less than the original Swiss releases (by Publisher Paquet) or Dutch releases (by Publisher Silvester) or German releases (by Salleck Publications).
Regarding the Romain Hugault albums, the today trend is even king-size format (special, limited editions with bonusses).

The 5 Pin-up Wings albums by Romain Hugault are (stand-alone) picture books. In short, with about 99% images, so actually no translation needed. They are regularly offered at the Duxford airshows.
On YouTube you may find preview vids from 4 Pin-up Wings volumes by a fan from Poland (search “Pin-up Wings Romain Hugault”)

Impression of a common bookstore on the Continent: a lot of albums by Romain Hugault (every album is still on stock, in the French, Dutch and German language):

A panonama-view of posters and albums by Romain Hugault at a Duxford airshow:

1 Like

Thank you!
The trilogy is out of stock, but I ordered Final Flight.

You will love owning this. I DO!

1 Like

@Troll. Take into consideration, that this album is from 2005. Although the drawings in this debut album are great, Romain Hugault has meanwhile improved his art a lot…

But The First Flight may become a…

© R. Hugault

aka Xmass gift…

2 Likes

POSTER!!! Where can we get the posters? I’m excited now.

Exactly! I ordered two… :wink:

@Maico. Without shipping costs at the Duxford airshows, but also: Affiches (romainhugault.com)

Romain’s reproductions are awesome too, but rather expensive: PRINT (romainhugault.com)
(All in 3 sizes)

PS
Also interesting: metall plates: Plaques métal

1 Like

Xmass 2020 with Romain Champagne: https://www.silvesterstrips.com/champagne-right-on-time-2021.html (in Dutch and English language)
Rather expensive, but a collectors-item.

1 Like

THATS WHERE I’VE SEEN THESE!!! this has been driving me insane.

1 Like

@Vicktork2.

Between those guys at Duxford…? :wink:

More “Duxford”…

Where is my credit card when I need it!!! …and not enough funds on PayPal!..

Hope the Final Flight will not get sold out, I want one copy, plus the ‘beer poster’ :slight_smile:

@NEVO. Hmm… today pubs are closed; so, saving some money… :wink:
First Flight: € 10.00 / £ 9.11 ; Warbird beer poster € 12.00 / £ 10.94.

To stay in the mood… :grin:

I prefer this linen poster though…

Artist Romain Hugault surrounded by 2 of his fans…

2 Likes

“may bring beer” Beer flown into Normandy under Spitfires

2 Likes

Alcohol brands who co-operate with artist Romain Hugault…

3 Likes