Anyone have thoughts on the announced Nvidia RTX 20XX line

Not exactly sure how you got from “unhappy with the direction these companies have taken in raising their prices for the same thing” to “disrespecting someone’s choice”, but I think you’re filling in info that is not missing. :confused: Unless you mean the CEO’s choice to up the price, then yes.

Also, you forget to qualify that the Lexus price includes a safety feature that only works in one city (RT in BF V) and a driving aid that only works between 1 and 2pm (DLSS) and the auto driving car is “coming” but after 5 months still isn’t ready.

If Metro Exodus releases this week and if the RT feature is in it at release, then we will have the 2nd game with RT ready 5 months after the card came out. We also don’t know what kind of performance hit it will make for the (noticeable?) improvement of the visuals or if everyone will leave it off like when DX10 came out.

The logo says Lexus, and we’ve been promised all these advances, but right now it can’t do anything that the Toyota can’t do. It does the same things 30% better for 30% more. And they stopped selling the Toyotas (10x0 series) so your only choices are a Lexus or some AMD Hondas…which are apparently going to rise their prices to match (Radeon VII) even without any of the Lexus features. :grimacing:

Not only the customers, but the investors have noticed. Behold:

1 Like

Extremely happy with my RTX 2070.

What? That makes no sense.

I agree. Production on 1060s and above has halted, once the ones in the channel are gone they’re gone, unless you buy used.

What??

I am arguing that your analogy is flawed … at best the 20XX line is faster than the 10XX line, ignoring the extra features. Yes there is a premium on that performance increase and it is, maybe, a little out of sync with what the market is/was willing to accept (note: I have not bought a 20XX card because I am part of the market that is not nibbling on that bait).

No where do I say that Nvidia made a smart move. But some customers have bought the cards and are happy with them. You might not agree … and that’s your opinion … but that doesn’t make anyone who bought and are enjoying the new cards, wrong.

We are a few months past the release of new tech. I am not surprised there are not a lot of games (ie: almost, pretty close, might as well call it none). There were not a lot of Blu-ray discs available at it’s launch either (certainly more than the games available with the RTX launch) but that is the cost of being an early adopter.

You’ve voiced your opinion that this gen of Nvidia cards are not worth your money. Great. Move along then.

Go ahead. Double down on that bad analogy.

Well that sucks, because normally I buy a generation or two behind. Partly as well because I don’t like the 20x0 series’ thirst for power.

For once my early adoption (my 1080) paid off. Waiting didn’t buy you any advantage with that card, but it just so happened to coincide with the miner boom.

1 Like

And I’m wondering if the i9 has any advantage for heavily CPU weighted sims at all?

I’m not one to overclock, but my i9-9900k doesn’t seem to care to have DCS running while OBS records using its software encoder. I can’t say more to that effect, as my 1070TI gets to it limits before the CPU starts breaking a sweat.

1 Like

:confused: So a Nvidia RTX 20XX is not better than a Toyota because once the AC was recalled…didn’t think you could recall alternating current…but it…no…still :confused:…think I’ll go back to looking at this thread and nodding knowingly, even though I don’t understand one bit. :grin:

1 Like

Air conditioner relay, it wouldn’t cool when the fan was on. It would click on then click back off because the relay was defective.
As everyone in Florida knows, AC is always air conditioning. The electricians say alternating current…and then refer to the AC being on. :slight_smile:

I live in Virginia.

STOP saying that. I did not say that EVER. You are putting words in my mouth and I find that highly offensive. If you inferred I was saying that, you are WRONG. Saying I don’t like coffee is NOT the same as saying I think people who drink coffee are losers or something, do you think it is??
Do you honestly believe that if someone expresses a negative opinion about something they are transitively attacking everyone who has a positive or even neutral opinion?? :astonished: By that logic no one is allowed to say anything negative, about anything, ever!
I’m not responsible for your flawed interpretation of my words, or that in YOUR mind the analogy doesn’t work. That’s YOUR opinion, which you’ve stated, not a fact, so move along then. Because apparently your dislike of my analogy is an attack against the person who thought it was good and was enjoying it, me. So stop attacking me!

That analogy fails for multiple reasons.
BD players made standard DVDs look better with upscaling in the interim, just like the 20xx line can do non-RT faster than the 10xx line. And on release Bluray players cost as much as DVD players did when they came out 10 years before, looking better than VHS or Laserdisc but having little to buy for them. And the UHD players then came out 10 years later, upscaling Blurays but having little content at first, for that same high price.
Yet no one paid MORE for a bluray player in 2014 than they did in 2009. In fact, my first BD player cost less than my first LD player, and so did my first UHD player, and they were far superior to the LD. In each case the next gen came out for the same or LESS than the previous gen’s debut (not the current price, those always fall).

And if the 2070 had been $399, and the 2080 and TI’s been the same price as the 1080s, no one would’ve batted an eyelash. If they’d been even $50 more, maybe not, but nvidia instead assumed the dataminer-inflated prices were the new normal and released their products at that price.

1 Like

Sigh

Can we all be friends again? :wink:

5 Likes

I bought an RTX2080 two months ago to replace my GTX970 because

1. I got a significant pay raise
  2. I had just sold my other toy, an electronic drumset
  3. I drank a beer at 1 am

Is it worth the money I paid? No. Not as long as there is not an single game using the new features it brings. I used to buy GPU‘s for ~ 250€ - 400€ and played games when they had been out for a while, and there was nothing wrong with that. Well, now I know for sure.

I‘ll still keep it, because of VR. And I‘m too lazy to change it again.

If you got a 1080 now, my advice is to keep it for a few more months. You‘re missing out on almost nothing except a 2 minute demo showing off a chrome spaceship in 3D Mark 11.

Now when cockpits in DCS will be raytraced, that‘s when the fun starts…

6 Likes

That explains a lot of my purchases…! :bulb:

Yeah, I’m sitting on my old i7 and 1080, happy enough for now and just waiting for a good deal to come along.

2 Likes

Given the recent trend, I think by the time I upgrade my 980, the 2070s should be far more reasonable in pricing, provided I can’t get a used 1080 for a good deal.

2 Likes

+1

Another RTX title, Metro Exodus looks fiendish.

1 Like