Anyone have thoughts on the announced Nvidia RTX 20XX line

Noice.

I love my ultrawide. Definitely a nice splurge purchase.

1 Like

Yeah, if the 2060 had 8GB Iā€™d say it was a decent update from my 1070ā€¦but it has 6. To pay basically the same amount I paid for this 1070 2 years ago to get some more speed but some LESS RAM seems a lateral move.

On the other hand, the 2070 is a big price jump even though it will definitely improve the performance over what the 1070 has. Iā€™m not really interested in the RT stuff, I donā€™t think anything short of a 2080Ti can manage good fps, even at 1080p.

At this point, I think RT is like DX10 when it came out. The cards that could turn it on AND offer good performance were outrageously priced, while the affordable cards that supported it had awful performance.
It was the 2nd or even 3rd gen cards that really got the performance going, and by then really DX11 had come out and surpassed what DX10 could do.

Even today, few games that support DX12 play faster with it. DX11 replaced DX9.0c as the main version and itā€™s barely changing even with how long DX12 has been out now.

So while I may get a card that supports RT, I donā€™t plan on being able to use it until at LEAST the 21xx series if not 22xx.

The DLSS, though, that looks like it could be good, but as itā€™s done on a per-title basis only donā€™t expect niche titles to really have it, it will be the bigger ones only I think. More than have RT, but Iā€™m not holding my breath for Il-2 or DCS to have it.

1 Like

I thought a bit about it, and as my current cards are a 770 and a 970M (which is about as fast as the 770) the 2060 is really tempting, even though I might replace it in two years instead of the usual fourā€¦

Wow, yeah, you would see a benefit even going to a 1060/70 card.

So apparently a swing and a miss for nvidia.

I guess jacking up the prices for a card that canā€™t yet do what you claim it can do was a gamble that didnā€™t pay off. Missing estimates by half a billion dollars is no small mistake, thatā€™s almost a 20% drop.

Iā€™m glad I havenā€™t looked to replace my 1070 yet, maybe the 20xx series prices will come down to something more reasonable now.

I wonder how much of that was also due to the peaking and probable decline of crypto-currency.

I think that was mostly over by Q2. By Q4, that drop had already been figured into their projections for the ā€œnew normal.ā€ They hoped for a while it would run longer than the year plus that run boosted prices, but it was clear by summer it was over.

Instead, it seems the 2 areas they specifically fell short were in datacenters and discrete gaming GPUs. While Iā€™ve not read enough about the former to understand where that may come from, weā€™re all intimately familiar with the latter.

Probably getting similar to iPhone sales. Iā€™m still sitting on a 6+ and havenā€™t seen any compelling reason to go ā€œnewerā€. Similarly, my 1080 is still working pretty good. Sure, Iā€™d love something newer, but Iā€™m not in a huge hurry.

2 Likes

I agree that they probably just gambled.
They knew that AMD failed hard and they basically got a monopoly on gaming graphics cards.
But they just hit a price/capabilities ratio that wasnā€™t compelling enough for people to actually jump on the new cards.
Letā€™s see what this news does for prices. I still intend to get a 20xx card, but I can wait a month or two.

I think that could be argued as Nvidia bought PhysX and integrated the hardware acceleration into some of itā€™s products. The SDK was eventually published on GitHub. There are still some games that have support but as of last year, that has dropped off.

Your point still stands, however. RTX may not catch on but I think that we are just on the leading edge of that technology and it will not be ripe for a few years. They had to start somewhere ā€¦ they just ended up doing it the expensive way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the thing with tech. There really isnā€™t a good time to buy because there is always something better coming around the corner. At some point you just have to jump in and buy what is currently available that is within your budget.

3 Likes

MS DXR is definitely a thing, right now RTX is the only card that can do it, but that wonā€™t be forever. AMD will do it when the tech gets along far enough.

The RTX 2060 is a joke, it canā€™t do BFV at playable frame rates at 1080p with RTX on. Itā€™s a bit faster than a GTX 1070 in standard games, but RT is out. Therefore, there will be no RTX 2050.

Instead, nvidia will need something else to replace the GTX 1060, 1050, and on down the line. The 1160 is the mooted name for something that will come along, possibly another Pascal variant? Maybe it will be something like a 1070-level chip with 6GB of GDDR5X RAM, making it better than a 1060 but not as good as a 1070 w/8GB. They could probably do that for around $250. No point getting it if you have a 1070 or something, though. With the overpricing on the remaining 1070/1080//Ti cards thereā€™s no point getting them now either.

Anyway, donā€™t buy an RTX card for the RT because thereā€™s little to no point. Buy it for how it does in regular games, which is to say better but not at the same price points.

1 Like

My take on what I have seen on this.

Games have up to now used Rasterization for rendering, however this apparently hit a dead end a few years back so unlikely to be much more progression in getting towards realistic graphics.

So the next step up is to use Ray Tracing for rendering with just the slight problem that home computers wont be powerful enough to do full RT for many years.

So that is why the Ray Tracing today is literally just on a few things like shadows in puddles and is mostly a hybrid rendering gimmick.

It is likely (they say ) that AMD may have to follow suit regardless because at some point RT will be the only future for lifelike rendering. Not to rule out Rasterization if someone comes up with X technique like so often happens of course but that is the current state of things.

1 Like

RTX 2070, BF5, ray tracing set to Ultra, gives 60+ fps @1080p.

RTX is now.

My take on the RTX cards.

The 10xx series cards were, and are held in high regard for performance. RTX cards are faster. Thus, they also must be good. That they come with with cool new tech is bonus.

Big thumbs down for the price gouging, especially on the tail of the inflated prices of last year. So many people were priced out of good cards while miners were snapping them up. The currency starts to crash and gamers start to breathe a sigh of relief. Then Nvidia sets the RTX pricing. Insult to injury that made lots of folks mad.

The cards themselves are fantastic though.

I was in the market for a new card last summer as my GTX660TI was dying. I was hoping to buy a 1080TI, but that was right when the miners hit.

Not only could I not find a 1080TI in stock anywhere - they were over $1500CAD (and we have a $13% sales tax to add to that).

I needed something - so I bought a 1070TI which cost me $750 with tax.

The RTX cards are still too expensive for me to justify an upgrade into an -80TI in terms of cost to returns ratio, and this year instead I upgraded the rest of my hardware including going from an I7-2600 to an I9-9900K.

2 Likes

60Hz @ 1080p for $500 in 2019 doesnā€™t sound like a great deal to me. Itā€™s just ok.

In short, weā€™re paying Lexus prices to get a Toyota. I like Toyotas. Iā€™ve owned half a dozen at least. They never break down (aside from a recalled AC relay once), theyā€™re cheap to maintainā€¦but if Iā€™d had to pay $70,000 for one Iā€™d have been far less pleased than paying $30k.

I have a friend with the new card and he is getting oculus errors saying his gpu drivers are out of date but he has latest installed. Any ideas. The card is the rx2080

You are paying Lexus prices for the safety features, driving aids and maybe an auto driving car where Toyota only has the base model? Thatā€™s not an accurate parallel.

Plus. If someone wants to buy it an RTX ā€¦ thatā€™s their choice and we should respect that.

So far very happy with my 2080Ti . Because I bought it as part of my new PC, I donā€™t really think of the cost of any particular component. The PC cost what it cost, and evidently I was ok with that at the time of purchase.

1 Like