Anyone have thoughts on the announced Nvidia RTX 20XX line

The reports of the 2080 Ti’s failing are increasing. Seems like a large batch of bad RAM got through.

The 2070s and 2080s are unaffected.

3 Likes

Well there is one thing. I have been watching GTX 1080ti’s and RTX 2080’s like a hawk for a while.

Its very clear that 1080 Stocks are coming to an end and prices of RTX 2080’s with after market cooling from makers like zotac gigabyte etc. are now matching 1080ti prices.

This provides a some serious quandary in the market in the next few months.

1. There is a bucket load of used 1080ti’s entering the market.
  2. New 1080ti’s are now the same price or more expensive than 2080 (non ti) cards. The 1080ti and 2080 are pretty much same-o in gaming performance even though the 2080 has less ram and 256 bus compared to the 1080ti’s 356

So something has got to give. As 2080’s are now flooding the market and the prices are coming down, you could argue two points.

1. stockpiles of 1080ti’s are almost gone (as per reports from sources like Gamers Nexus). So as the 1080ti is a beast of a card and superior in some ways to the 2080, the prices will remain high

2. The flood of 1080ti’s hitting the used market will plumet the price of the 1080Ti.

So its now an interesting time. I can still perhaps see a small reduction in price of the 2080 still to come, if no valid competition arrives from team AMD. To me, even though I was determined to buy a 1080ti in the next week or so and no want for current RTX series, the sudden drop in prices are changing my opinion somewhat.

I am going to see how the waters settle and continue to watch the trends. I am positive we will see a small discount further in 2080 and my personal hope is that 1080ti’s will have to drop drastically to counter.

1 Like

Right now I am aiming for January-February, maybe even a bit later.
Unless there is a crypto mining surge like last year prices will most likely go down a bit.
Maybe there will even be new cards from various manufacturers that use optimized chips or architecture. The one currently sold are very likely the first batch and the card manufacturers didn’t have too much time to build good cards with them.

I see your points but I doubt either price will drop at all for the next 6 months. I see used 1080Ti’s selling for almost new a lot too(depends on local market). Besides Nvidia can control the stocks themself, although I think they fear that it will undersell due to the weird embargo’s that all the reviewers got and a lack of benchmarks for a lot of stuff. Something is fishy with the 2080.

I’ve decided to wait another year before i start upgrading my computer, probably going full AMD then too unless Nvidia/Intel can show something dramatic.

I fear that by then, AMD GPUs still won’t be anywhere near nVidia regarding performance per Watt. CPU wise, AMD is really getting a move on, though.

If any european Mudspiker wants to sell me his/her 1080ti I’m willing to pay a decent price.

True, but the bang for the buck is so much higher compared to Intel/Nvidia combo.

@TheAlmightySnark Well I have seen a drop very recently in the last 2 weeks on the prices for 2080 (non founder cards). The 1080ti I was looking at, not the mini, actually went up almost 100 pounds, which I thought was strange. But the reseller I think is matching other resellers.

Prices I am seeing at the moment.
1080Ti’s are going for about 750-850 pounds (unless you go mini which is around 600 - that price went up too)
2080’s were hovering around 850ish+ and have dropped in some resellers close to 700 in the last week. Manufacturers are also stocking more brands E.g. Asus EVGA ZOTAC etc. Which means the nvidia partners are now starting to flood the market with their prices and that means competition.
Used 1080Ti’s are easily selling for around 400ish. But I am very wary of those. Some of the descriptions ring alarm bells. Such as, “Brand new never used, packaging opened just so photos could be published”… Yeah right… However there are a gazillion new postings on places like ebay for this card.

But I am hopeful it will keep moving, slowly for the case of 2080. In the case of the 1080ti, I am very interested how this will play out. Now that 2080’s are cheaper in some stores over 1080ti’s surely something has to give. So this is what I am watching.

2 Likes

How bizarre, oh well, if it’s cheaper go for it!

1 Like

Yet mine works flawlessly. Must have gotten a lemon LOL.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that. However, I’ve had good experiences with NVidia support, including them replacing a tablet after almost two years of use. My 2080ti gets run pretty hard in a horribly ventilated case, a Falcon NW Fragbox. In VR, the GPU temp sits right around 84C. Hot CPU (8700 @ 4.8) doesn’t help either. I really need a new case.

2 Likes

I’ve had my Antec Sonata case well over a decade now. Been through 3 or 4 PSUs as well as multiple internal changes, but it still works well. Every time I think about changing it…I just don’t bother.

I had one of those way back! A good case :+1:

Nvidia announces Ansel RTX in the latest release of GEForce Experience. I’m sure that the MUDSPIKE admins are ready to host some 8k HDR captures :slight_smile:

And some Battlefield V Ray Tracing deployment.

2 Likes

In case you think the RTX 2080 Ti is too entry-level for you, there is now the Titan RTX at double the price.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Any thoughts on this as a pre-built? At $2200…

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SkyTech-Legacy-Extreme-VR-4K-Ready-Gaming-PC-i7-9700K-RTX-2080-Ti-11GB-500GB-NVME-240mm-Liquid-Cool-1TB-HDD-16GB-DDR4-Window-10-Home/339663623

Processor: Intel i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6GHz Processor (4.9GHz Turbo)
Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste – 3 to 3.5 Degrees CPU Temperature Decrease Than Standard Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Motherboard
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB with Real-Time Ray Tracing Graphic Card (Brand varies)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Memory
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart DPS G 750 Watt Gold Certified Modular Power Supply
Primary Drive: HP EX900 M.2 500GB NVMe with 2,100 MB/s Read and 1,500 MB/s Write
Secondary HDD: 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Liquid Cool: Thermaltake WATER 3.0 240mm AIO Liquid Cool
Fans: Thermaltake 5 x 120mm Riing RGB Fans
WIFI: Intel 802.11 ac Wi-Fi Module – Supports High Speed Connection Up To 433 Mbps
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Case: Thermaltake View 32 RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case
Rear Panel
Ports: 3 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A Ports (10Gb/s) (ReDriver) (Supports ESD Protection); 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C Port (10Gb/s) (ReDriver) (Supports ESD Protection); 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports (Intel Z390) (Supports ESD Protection)
Front Panel Ports: 2 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / HD Audio / 1 x RGB Switch

For $2200, these are real weak points. I’d go with a 800W minimum PSU for a 2080 card. The memory speed isn’t bad, but for $2200 I expect 32GB, not 16. Primary drive 500GB? No. 1TB HDD? No. That’s ridiculous. Cherry on the top is only Win10 Home? Should be Pro.

It’s not bad but for $2200 it seems steep for what you get. For comparison, I have a 3 year old setup with an i5 Skylake @ 3.5GHz, 16GB DDR4 3000 quad channel, a 980, a 650W PSU, two 1TB SATA SSDs, and two 1TB SATA HDDs.

2 Likes

Also did not like (brand varies)

1 Like