Anyone have thoughts on the announced Nvidia RTX 20XX line

Can’t argue with that. However, I’ve had good experiences with NVidia support, including them replacing a tablet after almost two years of use. My 2080ti gets run pretty hard in a horribly ventilated case, a Falcon NW Fragbox. In VR, the GPU temp sits right around 84C. Hot CPU (8700 @ 4.8) doesn’t help either. I really need a new case.

I’ve had my Antec Sonata case well over a decade now. Been through 3 or 4 PSUs as well as multiple internal changes, but it still works well. Every time I think about changing it…I just don’t bother.

I had one of those way back! A good case :+1:

Nvidia announces Ansel RTX in the latest release of GEForce Experience. I’m sure that the MUDSPIKE admins are ready to host some 8k HDR captures :slight_smile:

And some Battlefield V Ray Tracing deployment.

In case you think the RTX 2080 Ti is too entry-level for you, there is now the Titan RTX at double the price.

Any thoughts on this as a pre-built? At $2200…

Processor: Intel i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6GHz Processor (4.9GHz Turbo)
Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste – 3 to 3.5 Degrees CPU Temperature Decrease Than Standard Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Motherboard
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB with Real-Time Ray Tracing Graphic Card (Brand varies)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Memory
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart DPS G 750 Watt Gold Certified Modular Power Supply
Primary Drive: HP EX900 M.2 500GB NVMe with 2,100 MB/s Read and 1,500 MB/s Write
Secondary HDD: 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Liquid Cool: Thermaltake WATER 3.0 240mm AIO Liquid Cool
Fans: Thermaltake 5 x 120mm Riing RGB Fans
WIFI: Intel 802.11 ac Wi-Fi Module – Supports High Speed Connection Up To 433 Mbps
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Case: Thermaltake View 32 RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case
Rear Panel
Ports: 3 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A Ports (10Gb/s) (ReDriver) (Supports ESD Protection); 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C Port (10Gb/s) (ReDriver) (Supports ESD Protection); 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports (Intel Z390) (Supports ESD Protection)
Front Panel Ports: 2 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / HD Audio / 1 x RGB Switch

For $2200, these are real weak points. I’d go with a 800W minimum PSU for a 2080 card. The memory speed isn’t bad, but for $2200 I expect 32GB, not 16. Primary drive 500GB? No. 1TB HDD? No. That’s ridiculous. Cherry on the top is only Win10 Home? Should be Pro.

It’s not bad but for $2200 it seems steep for what you get. For comparison, I have a 3 year old setup with an i5 Skylake @ 3.5GHz, 16GB DDR4 3000 quad channel, a 980, a 650W PSU, two 1TB SATA SSDs, and two 1TB SATA HDDs.

Also did not like (brand varies)

Agree with @Franze on price and the PSU; it’s driving a whole heap of stuff there and could have more zip.

On face of it a good machine, I’d just be wary of not buying from a system integrator directly where you may get better access to support and slightly keener prices.

There are several reviews of Walmart’s gaming systems out there and they don’t seem to be favorable.

Wow…people actually buy PCs at Walmart?! :scream:

I’m building a new home for my 2080 ti today. Basically, I’ve been making do with a Falcon NW Fragbox v3 for a few years. It’s quiet and takes up minimal space, but leaves a lot to be desired in the cooling dept. Moving everything to a Corsair 460x.

Disassembly underway.

Primary components removed. Will probably not install the optical drive. Thoughts?

New home awaits installation.

I have an external optical drive. Haven’t used it in years…

Havent had a disc drive installed in years.

My last build, 3 years ago, I left out the optical drive because I mistakenly ordered a case without one. Have never needed it.

Back in business. Still tinkering with fan control as it seems to want to run WFO, but CPU and GPU temps are much cooler.

I guess I’m the outlier in that I still will use my DVD drive to burn discs from ISOs I download (such as from Rifftrax) and watch some. I also have a lot of old stuff archived on DVD/CD and I will also rip CDs on occasion.

Why? Because you can’t get digital copies for many of the CDs that I buy. A lot of the collector’s CD sets are limited run things. I still want to have copies to put on my phone or player, though.

However, if you don’t need to do any of that stuff, then you may not need one.

Fan problem solved. I thought that I was going to need to replace the fans with 4 pin PWM type, but went into the BIOS, set all of the fans to PWM, and then ran the calibration utility that came with the ASUS mobo, and all is well. Really liking this case.

My 2080ti is running a staggering 20c cooler in X-Plane high settings and 4K. 58c vs 78c. This is basically the same load as VR. Very happy camper right now. Case is a Corsair 460x.