Carrier Ops Screenshots and Videos

Probably because the Gnat was a real aircraft :wink: .

Yes, but the “thing” in that freezeframe up there, about to park on the carrier is a mock up…

At least comparing this

to that it seems so…

Hosting Tailhook 2017 aboard the Eisenhower initially seemed like a great idea.

BTW, when you guys are setting up your AI carriers, what speed is appropriate for recovery ops?

Does the VRS carriers setup default to 30 knots? I think it might…

Not automatic, but that is one of the selections.

Depends on prevailing winds. Ideally you want about 25 knots down the angled deck.

1 Like

So, back to the mention of Java and carriers, @BeachAV8R, I think that I now know where that question came from. I discovered it as I was messing around with the AICarriers add-on, which originally was a Java app. That version is called AICarriers2, and it works fine with P3D 3.4. Because I started with the TacPack and was using it to launch carriers, it took me a while to get around to trying out AICarriers. When I did, I found it much more powerful than TacPack, giving options to spawn a number of different configurations of carriers and their supporting ships, and allows you to steer the ship once under way.

Initial AICarriers page that you can call up with Shift-J.

A few more pages later, you can load the Eisenhower or a host of other ships. No more tinkering with the TacPack manager.

Another thing that I discovered today is that someone has developed a .Net version of AICarriers, and released it on gethub. So if you are either Java averse, or having trouble running that platform, you have options. This YouTube video describes where to get it and how to install it. There is also useful info on grabbing the AICarriers config file out of Javier’s pack.

Lastly, something that is mentioned in the video is how to edit your exe.xml file in C:\Users\ profile name \AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 folder in order to get AICarriers to launch automatically with P3D. Well, I didn’t have one. It turns out that P3D doesn’t need that file, but you can create one and edit it to launch AICarriers when the sim loads. This is what mine looks like. AICarriers comes with a sample that you can use as a template. Note that you will need to edit path section to point to your AICarriers folder and executable, and rename the file to exe.xml.

This is probably old news to to a lot of you, but hope that this will save some time for the rest of you nuggets (self included). Happy CQ’ing.

Our vVFA practicing carrier ops last night in DCS. Got 7 guys day qual’d

3 Likes

-87s on a Hornet?

It’s configurable including an option to put 30 knots down the deck, matching current wind direction and speed.

2 Likes

Shush, its a mod… :wink:

1 Like

out today… ArmA3 DLC…

3 Likes

Oh dear…well…

2 Likes

Is it releasing on Steam?

Here I think?

1 Like

Got it …err…getting it…my A3 is updating anyway… Thanks! (Hmm…gonna be a late night tonight!)

Ya’ know what I like about that above video? At 1:22 - you’re game isn’t over. Go steal a truck, loot a dead soldier, find another airplane. You’re still in the game man…! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ok, ok- I’ll start learning how to skin this planes too…
:smirk:

2 Likes

One can dream…

5 Likes