Carrier Ops Screenshots and Videos

Well, if it’s any consolation, you’re probably as successful getting that thing aboard in one piece as that actual pilots are.

3 Likes

I got it on board in good order…but quickly ended up a fireball at the ski jump since I didn’t have a hook…LOL…

1 Like

Screen and short video of P3DV4 carrier ops using Dino Cattaneo’s F-35C. He has posted a statement concerning V4 compatibility detailing what works and what is inop. I was hoping that the STOVL functionality would be fixed with the new version of FSUIPC5, but no joy. So, no TacPack, HMDS, and STOVL functionality until he drops an update. However, I can confirm that the T-45C and F-35C work fine getting on and off the boat using AIcarriers.net, which is enough to keep this newb busy while waiting on the DCS birds.

4 Likes

Is that a stock aircraft with prepar3d? Haven’t checked that out yet. Looks pretty sweet.

1 Like

Yes and no. The stock a/c is IndiaFoxtEcho’s F-35A, but the payware version also includes the B and C models.

1 Like

I did some research last night, version 4 looks pretty interesting. My main concern is that VRS is basically saying don’t hold your breath on the tacpack compatibility, which as far as I understand, eliminates a bunch of military aircraft from working properly.

1 Like

Yeah, I read that too about TacPack. But in the other hand, I was having an OOM crash about once every time I flew P3Dv3 doing carrier ops. I haven’t had a single one in P3DV4. I don’t know how they could hold out against such a compelling reason for upgrading. And all P3D vendors are feeling pressure from XP11, whose sales is said to be very strong, if you believe the flight sim YouTube vlogs.

I think all FSX/P3D developers might be feeling the heat. XP11 seems to have garnered a nice chunk of the market…and yes, those customers with deep investments (like me) with FSX/P3D will likely continue to have parallel installs, I think X-Plane is definitely making very big inroads these days. The smart developers should jump on the bandwagon early with development and strike early in my opinion…

2 Likes

Is there Carrier Ops in XP 11? I have been messing with the demo for a few weeks now. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

There are carriers…and they look kind of nice…but I wouldn’t call the carrier ops ultra-realistic. There is some nice dynamic feel to the landings though. I like the way they struts compress and stuff…just feels kind of cool. And I think that a tailhook isn’t even required for landing on the carrier…it is almost as though the carrier landing area is “sticky” and catches anything LOL… Call it the fly-trap trap…

1 Like

I believe the demo actually contains a carrier and the F-4 that can land on it?

That default F4 leaves a lot to be desired. Feels very arcade like. I also managed to do a split S in the default 747. Is it a deal where the paid modules use more authentic flight models?

As the patient once said to the doctor: “It hurts when I do this…” and the doctor replies: “Then don’t do that…”

In other words…many sims fly pretty good within the 98% of normal operations, but break down at the extremes…so my guess is that if you fly the default 747 as it should be flown, it is probably OK. The same was true for most FSX add-ons (pay or otherwise)…if you put them in an extreme flight parameter, the FS physics just weren’t there. X-Plane is arguable better in that regard, but not perfect.

Not necessarily, but probably usually. I mean, a paid module (one would assume) would have a development team or author trying to at least approximate the 98% flight regime (speeds, fuel flow, altitudes…that kind of stuff). But there have been free modules that are as good as payware modules without a doubt. And some payware modules that people probably shouldn’t have paid money for.

1 Like

The 747 G limits are +2.5 to -1. That matches up exactly with the Global I fly. I have seen some pretty scary unusual attitudes in the sim, but so long as you don’t load up the airplane you can generally pull out and keep the wings attached, assuming the ground doesn’t come up to smite you first. I think you might be surprised at what you could do with a 747 if you know what you are doing.

Of course, I wouldn’t want to try it ;).

And that’s the limit loadfactor. The ultimate loadfactor is 1.5 times that.

It’s not a limit…it’s a goal…err…or was that Mmo? :thinking:

2 Likes

Ooh, we got a nod after all:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1041498559318484&id=972090136259327

VRS is slowly driving me away from their products. Their attitude of you’ll get it when we say so, is frustrating. Especially when the yearly license clicks away, as we wait for compatibility. I’d like to believe they have something better upcoming to go along with the 5 years in dev F/A-18F, but its a stretch.

Realized I hadn’t flown anything in about a month. Decided to take Dog 102 up for a spin over the Eastern Med.

License and registration, please.

Playing underneath the clouds.

Time to land this thing (also the deck is pitching because I don’t know how to say when).

Safely aboard the Ike on the third attempt. The first two I let my self get suckered by the pitching deck, saw a low aspect, instinctively thought I was low, and added enough power to sail over the wires. The last attempt I focused on following the needs and obeying the FLOLS, fought some nasty roll at the end and was rewarded with a nasty catch of the “I land now” wire.

5 Likes

Well done Sir👍

1 Like