Chat and Mudspike Discord

“F”

1 Like

So just to be sure, who is in charge of the discord now? I believe it’s @Fridge? Could you be so kind and activate the explicit content filter on discord please? We’re constantly being asked out on dates :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hey speak for yourself!
I just found out there are lots of hot single girls who wants to date me in my area!
:rofl:

4 Likes

So gamer chicks dig gamer fighter pilots? Who would’ve thought :smiley:

5 Likes

We are sexier than those WASD guys.

:f14::a6::salute:

4 Likes

Rhine created a Discord channel for those of us that play R6, Rocket League, Golf Club 2019.

No matter what game we play, the voice comms are way way way way too low. We have to jack our volumes to max and turn down in-game sounds to almost nothing to hear anything.

Personally, I’ve played with all the settings regarding codecs, etc and boosting other people’s mics.

Anybody else have similar issues? Anybody know how to overcome this?

Thanks.

Turn down your game master volume?

I’m not sure but I can ask around. Are you using the client or the web browser?

RB6 Terrorist Hunts or competitive?

We’re all using the client.

And we’re all having this issue, with the master volume down, the voice in Discord is still minimal.

@Rhinosaurus, @adlabs6 @Prof can probably add their own things they tried to get it to work.

I’m inquiring with my Discord expert…20 year old daughter lol. She actually does run a pretty active 350+ server.

adlabs found the solution on a forum!

start discord. then right click on the sound mixer in the lower right (the amp symbol)

There should be a column for Discord. If you’re having problems, it will be way down. Move it up to the same volume as your overall system sound.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that Discord didn’t get much activity on Mudspike.

As mentioned earlier, it can replace the forum functions and that is what i did at SHQM.

If anyone wants to talk racey-car stuff, our permanent link is here: https://simhqmotorsports.com/discord-chat/

When you enter, you’ll have access to a couple of rooms only. But then we check to make sure you don’t have rabies and give you the open door after a few minutes.

Anyhow, stop by if you feel so inclined and/or have sim racing questions.

1 Like

Actually, Discord is really popular here, but more in individual private groups. I think @Wes runs a public one for Hollo Point DCS flying, but that’s about it in terms of people prepared to open one up.

Just like simhq sort of got retired by things like reddit.com, this place is seeing a big traffic drop-off from Discord. We should probably look at moving the forums over there as well, as at least it would save @BeachAV8R some cash each month. Ultimately that’s where I think we should head.

The money isn’t a problem (yet), but I’m very conscious of the maintenance time these forums require from the volunteers. If there is an alternative that works all-around, I’d certainly entertain it. The only Discord channel I’m at all familiar with is the VTOL VR one, so I’m not sure what level of functionality that showcases (or not).

Correct, I started one for HP at the end of December as I hadn’t heard of the one Fridge was running at the time.

While discord allows for many channels, friends list and PM’s, tags and mentions - it lacks threaded conversations like a forums does. Forums are far friendlier to allowing numerous conversations to exist at the same time, as well as be created at any user’s whim. Could a large amount of the conversation move to discord? Perhaps, but not all of it. Large, single topic threads such as the screenshots thread could be made into a discord channel without much headache (and that would save Beach’s bandwidth and/or disk space, whichever is the concern).

2 Likes

I think that is our greatest and growing expense I believe. At least, based on my AWS bills…they steadily go up each month and I assume that is due to us keeping local copies of most of the images we upload to prevent dead links. By greatest and growing, I don’t mean to make that sound it is prohibitively expensive, but if I draw the line out into the future, I can see where we’d have to do something (either solicit for additional donations or accept some form of advertising).

To be fair to @Fridge :slight_smile: it was more a case that he got it dumped on his lap, rather than he set it up. The alternative was just to close it, but my thinking was at least people could use what was there to invite people into their own private ones that were appearing.

For Discord, it would certainly be different, but where this forum is weakest is more of the ‘stream of conscious’ -like chat that tends to happen on most topics. A more chat like format might be better. We have the ‘articles’ site for long-form, so anything else is just a bonus. The forums were originally just for a nicer way to manage comments/chat for that side.

If we set one up I think the plan would be to set up a series of bots to enhance it a bit, but do a lot of channels to map the small amount of ‘categories’ we have here etc. One other plus factor would be that it could be unmoderated (as ad/spam bots could be caught), which would save a lot of work and wear & tear. Because Discord would ‘own’ the words, it wouldn’t really be our problem :slight_smile:

This is our last year of AWS storage…as you can see, it has a consistent trend…

A lot of that is the CDN side called ‘AWS Cloudfront’, in that we can run a very small server because the bigger content (images) etc is cached on edge locations. What we save on server costs, we get pinged for ‘per access’ costs on the CDN side. It is not the number of images being stored, it’s the amount they are being viewed. A popular topic that gets high in the google rank for search, or gets hoards from reddit probably account for a good chunk of the costs. It’s a side-effect of being a public board, rather than member-only etc.

We use Cloudflare as well on the main site, and for now that is free, but we can’t use it for all images unfortunately. AWS used to be a lot cheaper as we enjoyed their ‘free limits’ plan, but it got to a tipping point (over the first 75GB) where now it charges.

Ads or Patreon have always been an option, but it sort of smelled bad. Ads would bring in very little money, basically just because the base payments for those has collapsed unless you are really big. People don’t seem to mind Ads on things like reddit or facebook (and they will come to Discord too, it’s just honey-time), but for here it just seems funky, and personally makes me shiver. We get accused enough of being of evil intent, so running ads would just pile it on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be more willing to help pay for the forum space rather than switching to something like Discord. No offence to those who like Discord but the ‘stream-of-conscious’ thing is difficult for an ADHD person - I find it hard to pick up a thread and read it for information.

Socialization, yeah Discord is great. Information transmission, in my mind, not so great. I could see the discussions (aka F-16C love/hate thread) on something like discord but AARs or discussions about how a particular thing like CASE I landings work would not be great (for me).

So it is a balance between moving conversations to something like Discord versus having information in something like the forums? Then again, maybe this is all just me and I’m becoming that ole curmudgeonly lad who doesn’t want to change. I would miss AARs and such.

4 Likes