Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

Cool audio. So I never thought about an incident far inland like that. I’d assume they have a designated “fuel dump” pattern area that has already been considered? Never really thought about it…

From some ATC handbook:

“Altitude: In general, fuel jettisoned above 5000 ft will vaporize before reaching the ground. Due to this, some manufacturers recommend fuel dumping above 5000 ft. In general, the ATC will guide the aircraft to an altitude where it can dump fuel so that it vaporises before reaching the ground.”

13.1 Pilots of aircraft in flight are permitted to jettison fuel in an emergency. The decision to jettison rests solely with the pilot but he may request guidance from ATC.

13.2 When an aircraft in controlled airspace needs to dump fuel, ATC should co-ordinate with the flight crew:
(1) the route to be flown which, if possible, should be clear of cities and towns, preferably over water and away from areas where thunderstorms have been reported or are expected; (2) the level to be used; (3) the estimated duration of the fuel dumping; and (4) the frequency to be monitored whilst the aircraft is dumping fuel.

13.3 Controllers are to recommend to flight crew that jettisoning of fuel should be carried out above 10,000 feet agl. Exceptionally, if fuel dumping at this level, or over water, is operationally impracticable or inconsistent with safety, fuel may be jettisoned above 7000 feet agl in winter and above 4000 feet agl in summer. For fuel to be jettisoned below these levels the situation must be unavoidable.

13.4 A vertical separation of at least 1000 feet between aircraft should be maintained.

13.5 Adjacent ATC units and control sectors should be informed of the fuel dumping taking place, including co-ordination with units providing services outside controlled airspace where the aircraft’s track is near to the boundary of controlled airspace (both laterally and vertically).

2 Likes

Locally we have pre-planned area to “adjust gross weight”. None-homebase ATC directs. I’ve “adjusted” here locally few times and hawaii. Not that big of an issue…we like to do it over FL200 though.

1 Like

This a RR engine so I can’t give much useful info, but if a GE 6-80C2(B1 through 7) would experience this the most likely either the VSV system jammed due to Jhook wear, the VSV, a broken masterbeam(allows the whole rig to vane into the wind, and ripping itself apart with a mighty mess at the engines functional end). Or the unlikely event of a HMU unit giving wrong commands, but that would assume the whole FADEC system is compromised (ECU is the computer, FADEC includes all the sensors and control mechanisms).

So yeah, interesting this is. Shouldn’t happen on proven engines like this if they are properly inspected and maintained. Although there is always a uncertainty factor, it’s a human job after all.

1 Like

I thought Chewbacka was the only certified Millennium Falcon techie… :wink:

3 Likes

So couldn’t it have been a bad motivator on engine three?

1 Like

1 Like

I meant to say “WD-40 should be applied if parts fail to move, Speedtape if move is too much” :wink:

2 Likes

That is not a happy engine:

http://newsinflight.com/2017/12/08/airlines-are-grounding-787s-for-urgent-maintenance/

1 Like

AgentJayZ will have to file a bit until that buffs out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnb6uYAzuno

1 Like

Grab the boroscope boys, we’re going to be here for a while!

Saw this one on Facebook:

1 Like

Might have to print that one out and hang it on the shop wall lol

1 Like

Aah, our shop is kept at a comfy 21 to 22 degree celcius. I work year round in a t-shirt whilst inside!

7 Likes

I’m betting he doesn’t show this video to his life insurance agent.

1 Like

Very cool to see the amount of technology used in the spraying operation. GPS has changed much of what we do. I wonder if the steering queue indicator was slaved to the GPS?

1 Like

Speaking of safety, I found this vid fascinating …

So clean, and light… I have MX envy right now…

Oh dear…

Please, my dear pilot and ground crew friends, stay safe out there!
Especially near doors…

https://www.timesofmalta.com/mobile/articles/view/20180106/odd-news/pilot-is-killed-by-plane-door-in-freak-accident.667291