Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

Obviously I was referring to the shape of the stabilizer, not the airfoil. Nothing in the photos gives any hint to the airfoil profile view which, on a vertical stab, should be symmetrical anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :

1 Like

Aha good point! You’ve got me there!

I don’t think so. The tube at the back does look a bit like the ones on the WW2 V1 bombs, but the sound of the jet is very even. The sound of the V1 pulse jets were quite distinctive. I presume the point of the tube is to prevent the jet wash from disturbing the air over the rear control surfaces.

Maybe

Yes they were.

Wheels

2 Likes

This is how I expect @smokinhole to arrive at our next Mudspike Fly-In…!

2 Likes

Oh man that kicks epic amounts of posterior!

What do you do for a living bob? I fly a motherlovin fireball that shoots lasers baby!

2 Likes

Uhhh Wow? Dr. Evil would approve.

1 Like

Well, that’s certainly spectacular! Hard to imagine it passing the risk assessment here in Blighty, though. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Bet he wore a 'chute that night!

A non-flammable one!

1 Like

You better hope the maintenance people did their job because there is no place here for an emergency landing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure what is “never before seen” about it. I was a front seat passenger for that same arrival in similar conditions. The Captain was a young and quite pretty Nepalese girl. She nailed it just like the landing in the video.

2 Likes

Video title aside, that is an amazing approach. From about the 8min mark onwards is amazing.

2 Likes

Hum…all of a sudden the video is now unavailable. What the hell? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: What did you guys do? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yesterday I made the mistake of reading the video comments (protip: never do that) and it looks like the uploader was being trolled pretty hard (you are such a lucky pilot, so near to crashing! etc) so maybe they just pulled it. People are weird.

2 Likes

That’s a shame. That was a pretty and amazing video. Both the flying skills and just the view of the environment they were flying in. I was admiring all the little houses I saw on the mountain sides thinking “Wow, what a view to wake up to and go to bed with every day!”

XKCD says:

And this one, too:

3 Likes

So ahh… I found this rather informative video on how to start the engines on a B737…

2 Likes

She’s… Very informative. I could watch her for hours!

“Somebody shoot me.” (My thoughts after about 5 minutes. )