Cold Waters

A beta version of the v1.1 patch is out on Steam which seems to fix some of the most pressing issues.

Commanding depth, speed and heading coming soon

5 Likes

Outstanding :slight_smile:

I am just going to put this here for anyone who could make use of it. I can’t say enough good things about Killerfish for posting a mod guide for their game so soon after release. The game is great already and so much more potential for opening it up…

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938593459

After getting into a scuffle with some surface ships, that I though were on the bottom of the North Atlantic, I kept getting an intermittent contact from one of them. Once I had the nerve to come up to take I look I found this guy still chugging along in a circle.

Oooh the ultra rare Ugh-Boot.

Capsizing doesn’t put them out of the fight. Those Russians sure are tough SOBes, they will send a fish your way even they’re upside down.

You See Ivan, for to make fast submarine kill, we must first flip ship so that guns are under water!

5 Likes

You make a compelling argument.

Also it makes sense to shield the vulnerable belly of the ship. Everybody know that ships don’t like to be tickled on their bellies.

2 Likes

Eliminates any drop the rounds might have encountered.

2 Likes

Completed my first campaign :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Time for a shower, it seems :smiley:

Soooo…

Is this any good?
Can you scale back graphics for a 4 year old laptop?

It’s good alright. I don’t know to what extend you can scale it back, it runs fantastic with everything maxed out on my merely decent rig (R9 290/FX8350) Only on certain missions (Spec Ops insertion/TLAM strike) with time compression maxed out I’m noticing a little choppiness.

Just realise it is what it is. It’s no succesor to Sub command, Dangerous Waters, or 688(i). I personally think of it as Flaming Cliffs for subs. The mechanics are pretty accurate but the workload is simplified.

Anyone here play Seawolf?

I played a TON of that game, about as much as I played of Dangerous Waters in later years. The difference was while DW’s systems bordered on “flipping a switch because I know I’m supposed to and not because I know what it actually does” in Seawolf you understood it all.

I actually learned to read and understand the waterfall display faster than my crew could id a ship from it. I’d look at it and watch it come down and shout “Alfa!” a good minute or two before my crew would figure it out. It was that good a game at making them distinct and recognizable without you needing a grad-level course.

Never played RSR, though, although I read the book a good half-dozen times at least.

Your laptop will be fine. Get it.

The game is based on the Atlantic Fleet engine, which started life as a tablet game before making its way to PC.

The 1.05 beta patch has introduced crew voices.

I am very pleased with the steady fixes, polishing and improvements that the developer is applying to this game. And rumors are that Cold Waters sells fairly well on steam, so there is reason for hope for a rich sub future.

Did anyone try the 1968 campaign yet? I am now playing this mostly and it is a lot of fun and very challenging.

US submarine weapons of the era were awful. You have the Mk 16, which is a WWII-era straight running torpedo, and the Mk 37. While the Mk 37 has an active/passive seeker and wire guidance, it is actually slower than most nuclear submarines! To have any chance of success, you have to get really close, preferably in the baffles of the enemy, and hit them before they can even react. This means there us usually a lot of stealthy maneuvering, often hair-raising close to the enemy, before you can take the shot. And if you blow your cover too soon and get counter-fired upon, at these close ranges you are in deep trouble. In 1968, sub-sub combat is very exciting stuff.

1 Like

You’ve got company.

Prepare for a nasty surprise.

1 Like

I was thrilled to see another nuclear-era sub sim as I played the living daylights out of 688i and SC but have no interest in WW2-era sub sims. I’m just about coming to terms with the mechanics now and am liking it but I am very grateful for the recent addition of crew voices because without them it felt more like a strategy game than an immersive simulation, especially given that this is a sub command sim that is played from a perch within the 3-D world outside the vessel under command, with the all-important data and control interfaces being relegated to the corners of the screen. For an old Sonalysts purist like me, this limits the claustrophobic immersion I have always treasured about sub sims.

My biggest beef is – thankfully – shared by many and is, I believe, about to be addressed in an update: this is the micromanagement of driving the boat. It is very odd that a command-level sim which delegates TMA and sensor management to competent AI crew will not let the player command depth, course and speed, i.e. order periscope depth or a particular compass turn rather than have to manage the planes and ballast, especially when there are other things going on. I know this has been noted here, I am just adding my voice to the chorus. An upcoming patch will apparently give us a helm control panel, which, in addition to addressing the micromanagement issue will also make the control interface less dependent on constant keyboard inputs.