DCS 2.7 Discussion

Not on downwind leg :rofl:

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

My neighbor was a hot air balloon “pilot”. I used to tease him: “Wait a sec Bill, did you say pilot, as in you have some actual control over that thing?”. Power lines and HAB’s don’t mix well either.

I had less qualm’s about jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane.

4 Likes

I want to be skeptical. I want to be grounded.

But, the idea of F-5Es no longer telling me I’m lame and that they’re going to go hangout on the moon has me so absolutely excited that I can’t help it. I’d have been happy with just better dynamics, but the promise of better AI over all? That handles more like a real person? If it can match the AI behavior that can match IL-2 '46’s own AI modeling of that phenomena, I’ll be overjoyed.

8 Likes

That actually looks kind of cool. Ironically probably the only DCS aircraft/mod that would be interesting in MSFS as well, given the winds and what not.

4 Likes

Let’s hope it a HUGE step from what we have today, I’m kinda fed up with the “AI”.
It just ruins so many missions and moments, like the other day when the AI did a kamikaze turn right into my friend on the way home from a successful mission. It was hillarious and also very frustrating.

1 Like

On another topic, is there a Mudspike DCS mission sharing list somewhere? I both want to share and download some good missions.

1 Like
5 Likes

Please pardon the mini AAR. I flew for hours a few days ago wearing that stupid, unwipeable grin that comes with having DCS surprise me yet again. I was on the “rotorheads” server which this week has been focusing on lovely Cyprus. The weather was 2000 overcast in rain, precluding any effective fixed-wing contribution. Everyone was either doing support work or flying Ka50s. I figured I would do what those guys were doing and be a single-pilot destroyer of stuff. Why why why do I ignore this machine whenever a new shiny toy comes out? I always come back to relearn how perfect the Ka50 is for just this sort of work. The grey rain, the excellent SRS participation and the abundant and various helo ops all happening within a player’s view made the missions dangerous and never dull. I managed to Winchester twice and get damaged once but still get back to the FARP for repair. On the third sortie the rain went from constant to showery with occasional breaks in the overcast. I found a vehicle in some trees all by myself (not marked with smoke) and spent some time finding an angle that would let me vikhr it effectively. I did and noticed mortars and infantry nearby. I turned away over the water to gain some separation. I switched to helmet and guns and began my turn back. As I did the grey cockpit that I had grown used to for two hours lit up in bright sunlight. Rays were poking through the breaks. The change was dramatic and utterly realistic. This is exactly how weather works. I made short, satisfying work of what remained but used all my ammo doing so.

I turned back over the water in the direction of the FARP and noticed another Shark overhead in a steep dive throwing flares. Nothing was shooting at him so I found this curious. Just then Nagging Nadia offered, “Warning, under attack!” and the laser warning showed in my rear hemisphere. I figured it was an Mi28. I’m not a smart man but that’s how this server shakes. Laser warnings are more often airborne. That intel was confirmed when the Ka50 blew up just yards from me. Sorry but it was gorgeous in the grey weather! I separated from the still unseen Mi28 as others on comms began to shout warnings. I peeled around to find him pursuing another teammate. Helmet sight again. Work hard on getting a lock and GOT ‘EM! I pulled the trigger and…nothing. No ammo. I switch to vikhers and with some effort I managed another lock. Phwish. It goes right past him. There is an airborne target button but I had forgotten how to engage it. I shoot two more at it but I think my range was too close. Other players began to laugh at this inept display. Finally a Hind did what Hinds do and showered him with the gunpods from close quarters. Back to the FARP with a renewed love for this always surprising sim.

Pics would have been great but I am no @BeachAV8R. VR=No screenshots unfortunately.

17 Likes

No need == excellent writeup.

2 Likes

Looks like actual FLIR rendering is about to land. This should be good.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/254461-official-news-2021/?do=findComment&comment=4843138

4 Likes

Hell yeah! That’s hot!

2 Likes

Speaking of the AI I found some time to move mud in the A-10 the other day. I was operating fairly alone away from allied air cover and got bounced by a AI Mig-29, after a short fight I was down (I’m not a great dog fighter).

I decided I wanted to go back and finish the job, on the way though I stumbled across an enemy convoy and decided to have some fun with that, on my second pass my aircraft denigrates, no warnings, nothing on RWR, nothing…

Shot down by my own AI strike eagle… :unamused:

3 Likes

Black-hot baby!

@smokinhole; excellent AAR there bud, one of the greatest. You don’t need .JPG when you paint with words that well.

3 Likes

Viper “new air-to -ground features for the helmet”

2 Likes

There’s more screenshots in the “in development” section.

Not sure about the shadow though. Hopefully they can force shadow rendering off for single viewports and it isn’t a global setting.

2 Likes

Dude…that was a great retelling of your mission. I could see it all unfolding. Epic. To be able to refuel, rearm, repair means you are pretty darn proficient and play the game as it is intended…well…the way I like to play it. Survive. At all costs. Even if it means not killing twenty things. Even better if you CAN kill twenty things and survive.

Awesome. I can’t wait to get back in the Ka-50…she is always home to me.

5 Likes

This sim! It is so damn good right now. And the servers are applying tools that render the years of teeth-gnashing over the lack of a dynamic campaign just so much old boomer talk.

10 Likes

nice writeup!

I need to check that heliborne server cause the Cold War servers are much more suited for fast movers than low and slow

1 Like

Ouch. :wink:

2 Likes