DCS 2.7 Discussion

Something I’ve been wondering for quite a while, why do you think is there so little mission/campaign content for the Viper, paid or free?

Mission makers probably waiting for more systems to be deployed before making them instead of making limited scenarios.

1 Like

But what is actually missing that has a great effect on mission capability? The weapons are all there AFAIK.

At this point, I agree. We’ve got Mav, AAMs, HARMs, LGBs, dumb bombs, JSOWs…
I’m not sure what they are waiting for, or if it’s a case of the systems are there and NOW they’ve started working on them (instead of making them and waiting for system integration to release).

Good question. I think there’s a paid Red Flag campaign with the Viper…shameful that I own it but never play it - can’t recall the details. Scripted campaigns aren’t my thing, but I do like to support some of them.

Some of them are great fun, and often they contain many sweet nuggets of info on the machines you fly in them. Iron flag for example, for the Hog, teaches all kinds of neat tricks from deep down in the bowels of the avionics. Big ol’ geek like you oughta dig it.

1 Like

I think it’s more the missing parts of DCS.
We just seen last week, finally, some great improvements in BVR AI…
I’d say that was a good thing.

5 Likes

The WVR counterpart of that AI improvement is just around the corner as well. Things are picking up on the AI front.

5 Likes

I do!! It’s a time thing, ironically.

Great news for sure. When my wingman has half…a quarter of a brain we may have arrived.

1 Like

That gets even me excited. It has been a loooong time.

1 Like

Reflected may be working on a Red Flag-ish campaign for the Viper, judging by a couple of his Instagram posts. I haven’t yet figured out if the Viper is just a side piece in the campaign or if it’s the player aircraft.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. Not only that but didn’t ED promised the same old usual set of content such as training missions and a mini campaign? I think things are very much stagnant at this point.

BTW @jross the Red Flag campaign is good. At least in it’s own way. Very procedure heavy lot’s of documentations made me much better aware of flying in the NTTR. The missions themselves… well, they work for the most part, heavy reliances on DCS AI that simply isn’t there yet. The flights are long, but I like that. there is an option to start at push time that come in handy when some triggers don’t work and you need to redo something.

But it’s old school. Immersion is mostly handled by the PDFs and you feel like you are a human flying in a sandbox filled with robots. It’s not in the contemporary level like Raven One or Paradise Lost. All and all worth the price. Feels like half a glass of tap water in the middle of the desert. It’s not evian, but I’ll take it.

1 Like

Yup, Maye - maybe - ED is listening? Based on recent AI upgrades? If this sim wants “legs”…

…good AI is the way (helps online play too: PVE). Of course being the “Best [only] PC combat flight simulation” [with VR] should keep it going regardless.

Same. And completing AR is more satisfying when you really need the gas.

That sounds familiar (that campaign, been a while).

Giving the mission “atmosphere” is hard. I’ve been able to do it by adding both canned (highly random + hundreds of individual audio clips) and AI generated ‘chatter’. Makes the MIZ file huge (compared to without: 10-15mb!) but, well, no way around it. Only hurts on the first load.

Enjoyed the former. Not tried the latter. I LOVE what they do, really. But I want something more ‘dynamic’. Thus I’ve had to create my own “Semi-dynamic” system. Has it’s warts but, to me, fits nicely between the two. I’m close to unleashing it (couple months)…but first, I have to go spend a week in the boonies, fishing and such - I need the break.

4 Likes

Something I noticed today and had a feeling about for some time, we seldom or never talk about doing actual missions, (me included) how fun or engaging it was and sharing good stories. We always talk about patch notes or feature x or y being available or not, ED good or ED bad.

Do we have any thread about actually enjoying the sim, sharing missions and things alike?

2 Likes

There’s a complete ”Screens & AAR” category available for this purpose.

And here’s a DCS Mission submission list:

1 Like

But I mean, that applies to all platforms the same, and yet there is much more content for other planes like the Hornet. I can’t quite make sense of it.

1 Like

Thanks for that Troll. That sub was hard to find.
I’ve been looking for something like it.
Cheers.

1 Like

Then you did the right thing by asking!
After all, what are admins for? :wink:

2 Likes

:wink:

btw just noticed it was suggested already above, but anyway, keep good mission stories comin’

3 Likes