DCS F/A-18C

jet? :stuck_out_tongue:

As if that ever happened. :wink:

2 Likes

@near_blind Someone over on Hoggit is reporting the PRF push button is now working?

Push button seems to work. In search mode and A/A mode with AM selected, it cycles high/med/int. With Sparrow it gets set to PDI.

Now whether or not it does anything, I don’t know. HI mode was able to see a cold contact at 40 miles. MED was able to find a hot contact at 80 miles. I’d wait for a statement from ED before reacting.

Since last update, I’ve found 9X and 120C have as much chance of killing a helo as dcs has of seeing an aardvark :frowning:

Even an MI26, which is literally the size of a barns broadside.

Maybe it’s a Config issue on my side?

No, same goes for me. 9X isn’t much better than 9M, 7MH has ADD, and the 120s are only sorta reliable.

I don’t know what think of this

1 Like

They did it to encourage you to snipe those helos with the guns. :slight_smile:

They just need to implement Doppler returns off the rotor disk. That’ll fix the radar missile effectiveness right quick.

Was the aardvark reference intentional? If so, it was unnecessarily cruel.

No winking emoji…so seriously? They are working on coding doppler return on the rotors? Wow…even Cool!

That may be realistic…however more realistic old be the butt-chewing the squadron CO would give that the JO naval aviator who wasted an AMRAM on a helo.

Guns? “Great job”
An AIM-9M? “Good job”.
An AIM-9X. "OK this time, but we’d really like to save them for the Migs "
An AIM-120D? “So young squire, tell me what–exactly what–was the threat that Mi-8 posed to this carrier that made you decide to expend a $1,786,000 BVR missile??!!”

2 Likes

That’s like the start of the plot for a modern day Kelly’s Heroes… Mi-8 loaded with gold!

1 Like

Why would it be an Mi-8? You’re more likely to run into a Ka-50 or Mi-24 in game, and I’d say $1.8M is a fine trade for the $9M M1A2 or $3M APC it was otherwise going to be killing, much less the cost of crew. If the CO wants to explain to those tankers why his precious missile is more important than their lives :man_shrugging:

There has been absolutely no mention of this from ED. I was merely referencing the fact helo’s have a bit of an advantage in DCS. They have a low IR output combined with more flares than god, and the lack of returns off their rotor means that they’re constantly riding the edge of the Doppler notch. This means there really isn’t a good solution for reliably killing them. With players, this isn’t really a problem. The AI on the otherhand, with perfect SA and preternatural gunnery, is an absolute pain to kill.

Of course if that’s the only missile he has left…you shoot what you got.

However, if he had better choices…

In sims, missiles are free and unlimited; in the real world, they are neither. All AAM are not created equal, use the right tool for the job, etc.

OK, my example was a bit hyperbolic, however, it is a conversation that would have likely taken place–no matter what helo, no matter the tactical situation–if the pilot had Sidewinders he chose not to use.

The tank crews are alive and happy no matter what was used and at the end of the day, that’s what really matters. The CO and CAG?… they have less one BVR shot when the Backfires or Flankers come over the horizon…so perhaps not so happy if there were viable alternatives.

In VF-32 we had all-aircrew (and intel guy) meetings in the ready room to discuss things like this and decide on a recommended tactic. From such a meeting came our low-slow flyer (or helo) tactic–if too low to get a good sidewinder lock, guns using a strafing profile.

…unless I’m at their controls…I’ve “shot down” more helos by entering RVS than any lost to enemy fire…I should receive recognition as an ace! :open_mouth:

1 Like

The MI-26? Agreed, it doesn’t need an 120. I was testing the theory that the 120 is borked with helos. I was actually Hind-hunting at first, and those little bastards are the honey-badgers of the sky. It helps that they have cyborgs for nose gunners, and can pivot around quickly to get the gun on you. They’ll even lob an AT missile your way if you’re not careful. Also, I’m about 98% sure that the hinds in DCS have unlimited flares, so Fox 2 is a no-go. My retort to my CO would be that a 120 is cheaper than a Hornet :slight_smile:

Also, on the rare occasion a Fox-2 does connect, the helo does the classic flaming “down-down-down-just kidding I’m ok!” routine. Same with the gun. Hit a hind with the gun, you’ll just make it mad.

Again, just like the wiley honey badger.

To wit I’ve made a mission with ~18 hinds storming an airfield, and I’ve always lost all my wingmen when going after them. They tend to go in with the guns first, and wind up taking all their shiny 120’s to their watery grave.

So, in summary: my way is cheaper. :smiley:

It’s the only way he’ll learn that B1-B > F-111. It was twice as many engines, so 100% more fwoosh, has way more tires (epic skid marks are epic), it let’s me cruise around with 3 times as many friends on board, and can carry all sorts of fun toys without a drag penalty.

And it has a bathroom on board. More DCS modules need bathrooms. Inarguable fact.

2 Likes

DCS - Platypus: Ultra Confirmed

DCS AI is very smart. There’s nothing more entertaining / depressing than watching AI fighters attempt to win a flat two-circle against helicopters (hint, you cannot get inside a turn circle with a radius of 0).

At the end of the day as a player, I prefer to use AIM-9 or guns vs helos, but reserve the right to break out the more expensive toys depending on the threat/situation facing me.

shouldnt a steep strafing gun run do a chopper in? they can elevate their gun only that much, can they? It worked for me in the epic MiG-15 relic campaign.

1 Like

Seems we have a few folks here who aren’t quite familiar with J-CATCH. Basically, just because the wings rotate faster than the airframe, making it unsafe, doesn’t just make it unsafe to the occupants!

Yes, AAMs suck when used against all helicopters; this is true even for the R73 and R60 on the 25T, as I’ve found it’s not much good. Guns, guns, guns! Don’t fly head on if it’s armed or you’ll both be dead. Instead, draw them out and up to altitude, climb above them, then drop down from above. Aim for the tail or the cockpit. The M61A2 is actually great for this because the dispersion means you’ll probably hit somewhere, which is more than enough to force a helicopter away – even the mighty Hind. You’ll be diving at a high angle so make sure to cut your throttle and throw out the brakes. Boom n’ zoom, repeat as necessary. Yes, takes a little bit of patience, but oh-so-worth it. You can even use rockets on them for double the fun! And because the bug has some awesome thrust, you can easily get away from the Hinds, engaging and disengaging at will.

Now, if the helicopter crew has any good sense, they’ll get into hill country or get as low as they can to force a draw, but the AI’s aggressiveness works against them here and they’ll happily climb to the stratosphere to joust with the annoying imperialists.

2 Likes