DCS F/A-18C

A post was merged into an existing topic: On the Pros and Cons of Using Facebook to Distribute Videos

Short update from Wags…
"_"Just a short note today:

As of today, we are at the point where enough of the Hornet systems are functional to make a great, authentic Hornet startup video. I’m starting to create this video today. It will take a few days to complete the video.

Thanks!"_

5 Likes

If it takes Wags to start the Hornet few days how long it will take us? :smile:

5 Likes

twenty minutes give or take alignment time.

1 Like

Hes been hyping a start up video for like 3 months, will probably take 6 or 7 minutes to start with the checklist, and then I’ll reduce it to a 30 second - flip 4 switches and roll start up. Just please give me the INS auto align option.

Maybe he wants to talk a little about the systems, how development has been going, etc… he generally doesnt make hack vids.

3 Likes

I dig it. The Hornet’s an interesting beast: simple and functional on the surface but with immense depth upon further prodding.

3 Likes

i heard the bitchin betty in the last video too, interested to see what all beeps and buzzes it makes.

2 Likes

I think it will be so in depth system wise…It’s Buzzes will make Beeps!!! :smile::smile:

So uh, what’s going on with the loadout in this image? I’ve never seen a USN Hornet carrying triple ejector racks, much less the 6xs.

6x’s… testing for the new module guess.

11 Likes

BRU 42/A (3 Points) and 41/A (6 Points) were used on the Hornet

Yeah, but I think @near_blind’s point is ”USN” Hornet.
Not certified for carrier ops, perhaps?

USMC Units I know for sure have them, and they do have those Racks on the ships.

I’m curious is all.

Extreme Googling has returned four images of BRU-41s on F/A-18s, one USMC, two Spanish, and one Navy on the boat. Three of four had BDU-33s, which aligns with the only other reference to MERS on a Hornet I’ve read.

Possible that it violates landing load restrictions, so if they take off with them at least some of the bombs MUST be used to land. If you’re not able to use them all, you have to jettison the bombs in the water, which is wasteful.

1 Like

What kinda self-respecting attack pilot brings ordnance back?!

2 Likes

My 2006 deployment to the Gulf, we were 28 days on station before anybody dropped anything on a target in Iraq. It gets expensive jettisoning everything before you come back aboard.

4 Likes

Filthy casuals. Didn’t anybody remember how things were done in IL2?

5 Likes

Most of the current work on the Hornet is focused on the air-to-air radar, flight model and Flight Control System (FCS), and defensive systems.

• Range While Search (RWS) radar mode is functional and detecting targets. Functions like antenna elevation, bar, range, and azimuth setting are all functional. There is of course much work to still do on the A/A radar prior to Early Access release.

• The flight model and FCS are undergoing a lot of work to properly simulate both the Up and Away (UA) mode and the Pilot Assist ¶ modes. Both modes have a very different feel. PA mode is critical for landing when the flaps are down and the trim hat controls AoA.

• Initially we planned the ALR-69, ALE-39, and ALQ-126B due to available data. However, we now feel we can do a pretty accurate simulation of the ALE-47 and ALQ-165 systems. This will also involve an update to the cockpit to include the Integrated Countermeasures Control Panel (ICMCP).

• Additionally, work continues on the INS/WYPT system, A/G weapon HUD displays, the EW page, the Azimuth Indicator, additional caution and advisory messages, autopilot modes, improved display fonts, and a better effect for the display of HUD information.

On the art side, we continue to tune both the external model and the cockpit. Let’s see who can first spot the cockpit art change in the attached image ������

Also, with the release of the Preflight, Startup, Taxi, and Takeoff video earlier this week, we got some great feedback to further increase the accuracy of our Hornet simulation.

Thanks and have a wonderful holiday!
Matt “Wags” Wagner
Senior Producer, Eagle Dynamics

8 Likes