DCS F/A-18C

Thanks for the info Sith!

Just another little detail…

When the cabin pressure switch is set to RAM/DUMP position, the Cabin/Defog RAM Air Inlet Door Assembly is now animated.

You can see this in the attached image, just behind the nose wheel landing strut.

5 Likes

I have told myself to try to resist the F-18. Impossible I know. But that’s what I told myself. But recently I’ve been flying the Ka50 and A-10 and one can forget how superior the native ED products are. They throw in so much more in terms of resources and testing than do 3rd party mod makers*. I am not dissing anyone. Its just that it is clear that the DCS F-18 is going to much more than just another jet, it is going to be a work of digital art.

*Mi8 excepted

3 Likes

6 Likes

I know this is blasphemy, but will the Hornet include a simplified avionics system like the A-10C does?

If not, there’s not much point in me buying it.

I can picture it having an auto-startup Win+Home thing shortcut, but for the Game mode that the A-10C had, I really doubt they’d spend too many dev hours on that. So much of it will be about putting as much fidelity into the systems and the avionics as possible. I’m predicting a reasonable high price for this one as well (more like the PMDG prices etc). If you’re not into the hoop jumping then it might not be good value.

1 Like

You need to get you butt in an F-5E. That thing is insane fun.

Oh no I have it. Wonderful!

I am not sure about the F-18 either. Wondering if I will ever have the time to learn it and to use it as intended.

But maybe doing just carier traps will be game on its own :slight_smile:

We have the Su33 for that! It’s super cheap and features a convincing flight model. My doubts about the Hornet stem from how superior (as a late-generation multirole fighter) the plane is to anything else in the sim. Why that equated to “boring” in my mind is tough to explain. Crawling back in to the A-10 after an absence is a shock. The rich airtwork and deap systems put it, along with the Black Shark, on a separate tier from other “cold start” models in DCS. The F-18 will clearly be welcome on that tier or might reside on a higher one all by its badass self.

I should add that even after writing above I am not interested in flying it. There is zero curiosity, no giggly anticipation. I just want to envelop myself within the model and appreciate the art. It is the Harrier that I was really looking forward to. It was more than worth the wait.

… and the Tomcat of course. It is going to rock our worlds. I know it’s gonna rock mine.

I will love the hornet too. It’ll be fun to learn and see how easy it can be. Then get back into the Su-25 and do it like real men do.

Kinda what I thought.

mini update
“Two of the biggest Hornet tasks are the A/A radar and A/G weapon HUD modes. Today, we have a first, early look at the A/A radar DATA sub-level page and the bombing HUD. Both though are still incomplete.”

5 Likes

I guess Interceptor simulated the A version, which would account for the differencies, right…?

8 Likes

From DCS Facebook page…Hornet over Iran.

7 Likes

Pfft, like you can spot the difference :grin:

3 Likes

Only beacuse ED wrote ”C” in the pic… :wink:

2 Likes

DCS World 2.5: Hornet and Updated Caucasus Map Live Stream Part I- 31 December 2017

7 Likes

Wags probably spent a lot more of his Sunday then he had originally intended with this stream.

I thought the original was fine. Very hard to get it right everytime with these complicated moduals. I do appreciate the time sent to make sure the product is represented as intended. Was glad to get a chance to see the vapes also. Thanks and happy new year.

3 Likes

Just noticed something on the second live stream. When he has the instant action pulled up, you can see how the UI will work with selecting which map you want to play on. Secondly, I noticed an error in the labeling of the Instant Action missions. Near the bottom, you will see a “BFM MiG21” mission for the F-18. This needs to be changed to “Baby Seal Clubbing”.

4 Likes