On the Pros and Cons of Using Facebook to Distribute Videos

So why do they use a platform for promotion which forces people to create an account before accessing content and which has a bad track record in regards to privacy?

There are dozens of video platforms that allow this social thingy but provide free access.

1. Because Facebook is a monolithic platform used by 2 Billion people and built upon delivering hyper-tailored information to its users which makes it an easy choice for distribution of marketing materials.

2. ED’s building is partially heated by the ire of people who still get worked up about Facebook in 2017.

9 Likes

I don’t want to derail the discussion. Everybody is free to use what they want.

But why exclusively on FB? There are other platforms with an easy to use interface an 1B+ users which do not have these restrictions. I know I’m in the minority but from my perspective that’s a bad choice in regards to marketing. Why not do both?

I’m usually not on a crusade for these things but sometimes I have the impression that people forget where some of the ideas in www came from.

1 Like

There is no forcing.

Granted its small, but there is a “not now” button to press so you CAN view the video without making an account.

1 Like

Oh. You’re right and I’m blind and assuming the worst from people. :disappointed_relieved:

Forget my rant.

Great video.

1 Like

Every one these days uses FB for marketing purposes because the amount of ‘LIKEs’ they can gather there is uncomparable to other sites.

They are like: ‘Oh, we gathered 100 000 LIKEs, the comunity realy apreciate our eforts here.’

The reality: more than 50% of the LIKEs are from people who hardly read the text above the video. Many didnt do even that.
They just LIKEs because their friends did, because they think it is cool, because it just jumped on them and they wanted to close that popup or whatever

:slight_smile:

Soooo
 2.5 and F-18 shaping nicely
 looking forward to fight Tomcat in Hornet :slight_smile:

@miRage, if previous history for EDis to be followed, that video should be hitting YouTube some time today anyway.

2 Likes

I’m not using FB or any of those antisocial media sites, ever. I feel like the guy standing in a room full of good food watching everyone else eat rats and dirt. What is the appeal? What do “likes” matter? It’s baffling to me, I genuinely do not understand anyone who does that. Total mystery. Them monetizing your data is besides the point, so they’re filming you eating rats and dirt and selling the video
maybe stop?

Anyway, these teasers are unnecessary, I was sold on the idea of a Hornet before the Hornet was announced. Actually, I was sold on it back in 1992 when I got it for Falcon 3. :smile: Enough marketing, bring on the plane

4 Likes

I just “liked” your post :wink:

9 Likes

:joy::sunglasses::ok_hand::100::100:

1 Like = 1 resurrected F-111

:joy::sunglasses::ok_hand::100::100:

8 Likes

Its a great but sad picture, the boneyard

1 Like

We basically used them because in small communities (a) it feels good to get some feedback that what you write is read and (b) it saves on lots of +1’s! when topics get bigger.

The ‘heart’ and the ‘like’ are not ideal for us here, because it looks a bit ‘facebooky’ and I understand that people ‘of our advanced years’ :slight_smile: often don’t really like such things. We considered changing them (and still might, if people feel strongly about it) to something like :+1: as :heart: was seem as far too emotional or feminine. We then realized it was all a bunch of fooey anyway, and didn’t really matter so the heart stayed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Baby don’t hurt me
Don’t hurt me
No more.

You know. If we’re all gonna go on the off-topic train :wink:

2 Likes

You accidentally a post

1 Like

I kind of enjoyed the surrealism of a random ‘What is love?’ post in a technical topic though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d suggest some alternative icons but I think we discourage that kind of discussion here :wink:

While we’re at it

Do it again. We got this. We GOT this!

But what is love?

2 Likes

Baby don’t hurt me
Don’t hurt me
No more.