DCS: Normandy WW2

: Australia
: F111
: our only aircraft carrier that nom nommed another warship in two

1 Like

My 1st guess is Korea. Not a wishlist item (I donā€™t even own the MiG-15 nor the F-86), but I seem to recall it being mentioned a few years ago. Need to check on that.

For the rest, Iā€™d have to agree with @Silver_Dragon because Afghanistan is mentioned after SoH on the website of the professional military version of DCS as being in development (Strait of Hormuz, Afghanistan, Syria, and Crimea), so we might be getting that in consumer DCS as well.

And Vietnam seems to be a constant wishlist item and very wanted as well. Weā€™ll see.
Thanks for the tease @wagmatt! You sure know how to keep us busy.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t it two other warships?
She was hungry.

Yeah, initially I thought Afghanistan because of the predominance of Soviet equipment used in theater, and it certainly has eons of historical significance. Su-25 and Mi-8 would be at home. If you are talking more recently, A-10 and F-18 work, but a rather one-sided conflict. And not a good memory for the publisherā€™s home country. Neighboring Pakistan/India have potential. Korea is a really good pick given that it was the playground if F-51, Sabre, and MiG-15 alike. Also still very hot and it has adjacent disputed regions. But you could claim the same about Vietnam, past and present. Overall balanced conflict, rich air combat history, contentious neighbors. Aircraft that somewhat fit, both past and modern, beautiful varied geography. Vietnam kind has it all IMO.

The only reason Iā€™m unconvinced itā€™s vietnam is it would require a doubling of the existing scenery library. Currently the only period appropriate-esque units are the

• F-5E
  • F-4E
  • MiG-21Bis
  • UH-1H
  • MiG-15
  • Trucks, 23mm AAA.

Everything else is oriented towards the later Cold War or equipment that was never present in Vietnam. To give us a proper experience ED would have to essentially double the object library to expand the multitude of missing land, naval, and air units. Especially considering there are only two fixed wing aircraft available, and one of them wasnā€™t exactly iconic to the conflict.

This isnā€™t saying I donā€™t want them to do that, I do, very desperately. I see it more likely that theyā€™ll capitalize on Korea, which has two DCS jet modules ready, a WWII module that can be thrown in, and another on the way, or something Cold War/Modern where they can leverage the lions share of their AI units and the majority of available DCS modules.

For a 1980s Central Europe map, the F-5, all of the FC3 aircraft, the MiG-21, the UH-1H, the Hip, the Hawk, The Mirage, The MiG-23, The Tomcat, the Hornet, the Harrier and the Viggen were all either present, or could have participated with minimal hand waving.

But seriously, someone get on doing Vietnam. For reals. There are Phantoms and Crusaders that need flying.

I think Iā€™d like Korea. Especially if it is customizable for 1950s and present day scenarios.
That would please both the vintage guys with their Sabres and MiG-15s, and the modern guys.
And come to think about it: The P-51 could pass as an F-51 and if LN is really doing the Corsair that fits in, too. VEAOā€™s Meteor as well.
Then we only need an A-4 and a few AI planes and we are almost set.

1 Like

Although I understand the desire for historical context, I am not sold on it being the main requirement. Falcon 4 did Korea well and that wasnā€™t historical, either is a cold war in Europe scenario.

I would argue that what is important is that the map be interesting! An interesting location with interesting features that make for interesting battle scenarios.

Although this topic is a serious digression from the Normandy map, I would vote for Central Europe, Korean or (sticking with the Falcon 4 theme) Bosnia.

Of course I will put my money down on any map, including this upcoming rendition of Normandy :slight_smile:

Maybe an erroneous assumption weā€™re doing is about a terrain that is somehow connected historically to the available modules.

Maybe the surprise has more to do with a terrain thatā€™s ā€œfunā€ to fly.

So- letā€™s stop thinking about a real conflict and instead start about what would make an engaging part of the world to fly and fight in.

My guess:

Afghanistan would work for a lot of the modules (COIN, helos, etcā€¦)
Crimea is an obvious choice - and would work well with the improved Caucuses

Wish list:

Falklands
Kuwait/Iraq
Vietnam

Iā€™m really happy that Normandy will scratch some of that WW2 itch for you guysā€¦but I probably wonā€™t be spending a bunch of time in that theater or in those aircraft unless itā€™s just getting shot down in an online capacity. Although as Iā€™ve mentioned before, a compelling campaign might just drag me inā€¦

DCS: Chuā€™lak

2 Likes

Seriously. I wish we could all agree to sign a waiver to be super chill about it and not make it political. I really want back the Crimea for both gameplay and nostalgia purposes.

So I agree disagreeingly.

Iā€™m mostly arguing that for any theater, which is attempting to simulate a place and period, the pool of assets should match that period, if not that place. It doesnā€™t matter that it happened or not, just that if it had happened, it would be believable.

Strike Fighters always did a good job of this.

1 Like

FTFY

In what way?

He never simulated them to the extent of DCS, but I always respected TKā€™s efforts to put in period accurate units and differentiate the different aircraft sub models within campaigns.

The last game I played thoroughly had a more or less accurate depiction of CVW-7, the 52nd FIS, and distinctions between VVS, PVO and VAMF/VVS-DO units available.

Iā€™d say either Afghanistan, Crimea or Syria.
3 theaters currently in development for TBS :smiley:
http://www.thebattlesim.com/about/

Oh, I donā€™t debate neither the effort TK put into that series neither the overall achievement.
It just felt always (to me of course) kinda detached and aseptic.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair. But the units were mostly correct, which is what my soapbox is about. :smile:

1 Like

Granted. :slight_smile:

Weā€™re probably all barking up the wrong tree and good fellow @wagmatt is having a chuckle at our debate. The surprise will undoubtedly be none of those mentioned and most likely some place like Southern California, the Ardennes, or North Africa.

4 Likes

Bagram Air Base?

Mi-17V-5 helicopters full flight simulators, Bagram Air Base - YouTube

Make it Washington/Northern Oregon and Iā€™m sold.

dcs WORLD IN CONFLICT: CONFIRMED[quote=ā€œPhantom88, post:120, topic:1718ā€]
Bagram Air Base?
[/quote]

So there are examples of Bagram, Baku, and Sardinia that have been made in a version or derivative of the EDGE engine. These were for commercial customers and will not be released (as far as we know) as part of the DCS consumer brand. If I had to guess itā€™d be Crimea just becauseā€¦ well, itā€™s adjacent to the existing map.