DCS South Atlantic WIP Video

yup F-111 would be indispensable in a 80s Malvinas scenario. Both the RAF and the Argies flew them, and then the USAF used both the FB and -F versions to enforce the UN peace resolutions.

Wait, what. That didn’t happen?

Oh.

3 Likes

So F-111 it is then… AWESOME !!!

Back to regular programming…

1 Like

DCS: Vulcan…flown by Group Commander Spock.

2 Likes

It would be awesome we could recreate Operation Blackbuck in a DCS multiplayer…well…for the most part it would be incredibly boring and everybody would need excellent tanking skills…and the DCS map would need to cover about ¼ of the globe…but it would be awesome. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’d also need better tankers. Current tankers suck the big ones.

Just to add my fanboy-ism… A-4 is coming this year. Yes it’s SFM (Simple Flight Model), no it does not do ‘real’ cat
launches, but…
It has Shrike ARM, it has bombs, rockets, mostly functional Doppler navigation system, functional hook, functional impressively well modeled ground radar, and
It. Is. Free.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3584314&postcount=941

this is our thread for it

4 Likes

Great idea!
Add Italy and Sicily to it and you could double the map as a wwII map
With
Malta 42
Sicily 43 Operation Husky
Anzio 44
Ghotic line 44
Defense of north italy factories and cities by ANR (aeronautica nazionale repubblicana)
Balkan air force operations ICAF (Italian Co Belligerant Air Force) e partisan

Here’s another one! Some F/A-18 free flying over the new terrain.

5 Likes

This is from back in February, but want to keep this thread alive. It’s 47 mins with Tactical Pascale’s interview with RAZBAM. Very similar to the Air Combat Sim podcast interview in April, but with a video and tons of screens. So glad that they included Tierra del Fuego, although I know expanding the map will delay release.

6 Likes

Can’t recommend enough the book “Harrier 809”. It’s recent and I thoroughly enjoyed it, with a great insight into the total air and sea war in the Falklands. It really has me looking forward to the South Atlantic.

That aside…I’ll be doing a lot of sightseeing in Tierra del Fuego.

1 Like

Highly agree with that. Listened to the first 10 mins of the author’s interview on the fighter pilot podcast, and had to stop there. I had forgotten so many of the details of the war, that to listen further would have spoiled the book. My brother is listening now and enjoying it equally. As a follow-up, I’m now about a 1/3 of the through Harrier Boys.

Say what you will, it’s a remarkable engineering achievement that gets the job done when called upon. On the original FP podcast covering the AV-8B, it’s telling that the episode’s SME, said that while the F-35B is better in every way, the Harrier is still his favorite “stick and rudder” aircraft.

1 Like

Agreed. The lengths the Royal Navy and RAF went to to make the war happen were a great testament to their character.

I’ll check out Harrier Boys. Thanks.

I’m going to dip into my new system budget to get this one. My first thought: a campaign representing the actual conflict might even run on my current system (number of units involved and such).

1 Like

I know that RAZBAM is working on an asset pack to go with SA. Perhaps asking too much, but hoping at some point that SS Atlantic Conveyor, HMS Hermes, and HMS Invincible, are on the road map. For Argentina, perhaps ARA Veinticinco de Mayo.

2 Likes

The sinking of the belgrano was a huge controversial incident in that particular conflict, I wonder about the amount of time that needs to go by before it is not too tasteless to add such units. Just last month the grim reaper s did a video on the HMS Sheffield attack. I knew an officer who died in that attack and thought that the video was in poor taste.
It may well be my sensibilities are to moral.

8 Likes

No, I think that you are on the right track Cib. No doubt regrettable and desperate actions on both sides of the conflict. No need to open deep wounds. We must tread carefully here.

5 Likes

This is a tough subject…

We simulate war, for entertaiment. That’s basically what combat flightsims do.
Sometimes we simulate imaginary wars and sometimes real wars. People die in real wars. But I don’t feel that we find entertainment in simulating the killing of people. The entertainment comes from the competition that war presents. In real life it is a competition of life and death, but it’s not when doing it virtually.
But fact remains that we often simulate battles where real people died. As long as we approach this with tact, I’m ok with it. But I have never lost anybody near and dear, in war. If I did, I would probably feel differently about it.
So I guess it’s up to people, like @Cib, who have personal associations to battle losses, to set the limits.

I can imagine that it is easy, for people like me, to overstep somebody else’s boundaries. It’s probably just due to ignorance, not disrespect.

If anybody feels that posts and threads are getting disrespectful in any way, use the flag system and we will moderate it.
It’s better that somebody’s post is removed than somebody else feels they can’t visit the forum because it upsets them.

We are mostly self moderating and I have no doubt we can deal with this, as a group.

But we mods need the input, people. Let us know. Nobody will ever get thrown out for minor discrepancies. You’re not condemning anybody because you flag their posts.

16 Likes

Certainly it’s worth a discussion, I mean we simulate endless scenarios in this sim, many of which have some basis in historical precedent. I imagine the teens of today look at the Falklands conflict as removed as world war 2 was for me and probably most 50 somethings too. My uncle was at Dunkirk and yet I have no qualms about doing some recreational flying over the area and giving the Hun a bloody nose.

7 Likes

I can’t add anything there @Troll.

All I can come up with is, as you mention, respect. From all sides. I strive to be aware that others don’t react to things the same way I do. Not always successful, but I try.

8 Likes

Imagine how many virtual people are being killed simulating those historical battles in the Total War series, from Rome to Japan to China to ancient Greece.

Before PC games there were board games like Axis and Allies. Before that, there were tabletop models and recreations going over the strategies and tactics, going back centuries if not millennia.

Is it insensitive? To those directly affected, of course. To the rest of the world? Just another bit of history. That’s human nature. It’s why wars still happen after the lesson that it’s horrible is certainly understood universally…because it still seems abstract.

4 Likes