DCS: Syria

Yea, I asked on Facebook and when I got the reply my jaw dropped. I was expecting a lot, but it’s still a surprise. We’ll see how the CDN manages tomorrow.

1 Like

My Poor SSD is going to go through a Nathen’s Hot Dog Eating Contest Tomorrow :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Im waiting for the FS2020 Killed my NIC posts to start coming in.

3 Likes

I think we’d see that if more people had the bandwidth to make them sweat!

So I just made my first flight on the map, touring Israel, the Beqaa Valley and Damascus. I hate to be that guy, but I feel rather underwhelmed (as I seem to be a lot lately with new DCS releases). The map doesn’t nearly look as good as with the preview videos, but that was to be expected with my VR settings. I had the same experience with the Normandy map. Unfortunately performance even when flying alone is quite bad too and what is even worse, with a lot of micro-stutters. For the first time since a very long time I feel a little sick from playing in VR. I am not sure how much utility that map will have for me.

1 Like

Rat Farts! Didn’t want to hear that…still about, oh T-minus 3 hours til it’s safe on my SDD…

Yeah, marketing. I’d like to say I’m immune after all this time, and I am, mostly. Mostly.

That and just the desire for some variety pulls on me. A guy thing?

That little voice that thinks I might be missing something won’t always mind his business :grin:

Cool. My “Unamed Campaign” has me peering over the cockpit edge enroute looking (in the PG) for just such places. Imagining a TIC mission in a tight little box canyon, or something similar. Haven’t found a lot of them as the terrain mesh probably isn’t as you describe (in the PG).

THAT, my friend, is music to my VR ears! It’s what initially appealed to me from E.D. many years ago; think Flanker something, or ever further back to Tornado - first sim I had with TREES to give some sense of speed - and actually flying.

1 Like

It is quite contoured terrain though…like on a small scale there seems to be a lot of pockets and draws that will be ideal for cat and mouse helo ops…

1 Like

Oh it’s gorgeous. The terrain is far more interesting than any of the other maps when it comes to little valleys and canyons and bluffs to hide stuff in. I get no micro-stutters or anything, but having the thing on an NVME drive and 32gb of fast ram probably help. The cities, awesome though they may be, bring my system to a screeching halt. Just too dang many polygons to push!

I love the detail on the farmland though. The olive groves and the rows of greenhouses. so pretty. Also really effective in conveying speed and altitude visually.

1 Like

If you can’t afford vegetation shadows it hurts looks a lot unfortunately.

woof.

1 Like

Interesting find here for you BUuuurrrrppt -types, and mission makers?

Hogs In Syria

2 Likes

From Da Boss
Known issues affecting mission design.

The team have been working hard to find and fix issues that will affect mission design and gameplay, and whilst many have been resolved, some did not make it in time to be included in the release build. Below is a summary of the current known issues in this early access release. We encourage all Open Beta players to report any and all bugs and issues that you encounter to our forum, as you are an invaluable piece of the puzzle, to enable us to move forwards and bring this truly breath-taking terrain out of early access.

Al-Dumayr – AI Taxi route to parking spot 15 & 16 passes through runway leading to possible collision.

Jirah – AI taxi route to parking spots 4 & 5 is incorrect, leading to possible collision.

Beirut – Collison issue when large aircraft (C-17, IL-76 etc) pass over road tunnel under runway 24/16. Small aircraft unaffected.

Eyn Shemer – Possible collision when multiple aircraft land in succession.

Damascus – AI taxi route issue when using parking spots 110 & 302 can lead to traffic jam.

• Aircraft taxiing from southern apron blocks all other taxi activity until in passes northern apron.

Mezzeh – Some aircraft & Helicopter parking spots are missing.

• Incorrect AI taxi routing to parking spots 17,18 & 19 leads to traffic jam.

Taftanaz – Possible collision when helicopter AI is taxiing.

Khalkhalah – Incorrect AI taxi from parking spots 19 & 19 can lead to collision.

• Possible AI collision with hangar 25.

Megiddo – Possible collision on runway when large AI group lands.

• Runway collision when using parking spot 10.
  • Taxiway hold point is displaced onto runway.

Ramat David – Possible AI aircraft collision with small building between parking spot 37 & 36.

• 2 parking spots numbered 24.
  • Parking spots 37-41 only available for helicopters (correct), but not marked as such.

Haifa – Possible traffic jam when many AI land in succession.

Marj Ruhayyil – AI uses taxiway for take-off and landing.

• Unable to place Flanker size aircraft on ramp parking spots 28-33.

Incirlik – Small chance of collisions during AI taxi.

• Aircraft at parking spots 100-109 are facing the wrong way.
  • A-10C cannot be placed on parking 114-120 & 63-69.

Marj as Sulthan North & South and Qabr as Sitt – Helicopter AI touches down short of runway.
Fixed wing AI can be set to land at helicopter only bases.
Visual and collision issues with weapon impacts on bridges.
Some of the prepared SAM sites have uneven terrain, making unit placement difficult.
Fast mission creator is currently not functioning for Syria Terrain.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/wagmatt
Twitch: wagmatt

System: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p…44#post3729544

1 Like

Okay…finally got her working. Best looking map for sure I think (kinda reminds me of the ArmA3 Stratis map, which I guess is, roughly, in the same region). Lots of nooks-and-crannies there for A2G work for sure.

Performance was the slowest of all my maps (NTTR, PG, Syria) though. Seems the FPS was worse on the carrier too; just me and the USS Rossevelt + deck handlers, 40 miles offshore. Based on what others have mentioned, it seems DCS loads EVERYTHING at start? Or nearly so. Don’t know. Hopefully some optimizations are coming. Odd thing: with or without shadows (flat) didn’t seem to make much difference. Normally it seems to. This is in VR.

Oh, and the trees are juuuust the right [size] :grinning: When I’m at 300’ and 500 kts it feels more like, well, I’m at 300’ and 500 kts. Subjective I know.

2 Likes

Beautiful Map. It is worth a ride in the Tomcat just to see the beauty. I was hiding in ridges and valleys dodging missiles and trying to figure out the keys on the tomcat… The update broke my stick settings. I did not experience any bad performance but I was not in the cities. The Mountains are breathtaking.

3 Likes

I turned down Traffic and Water settings and this really helped my micro-stutters,I also Deleted metalshaders and fxo folders but not sure if I needed to since update.

I remember Normandy was very much like this on release and got optimized after a while.

1 Like

just did my first flight around the map… thought I would pick the worst case scenario, so went for a low level flight over Beirut city center, in VR … very plesently surprised, it stayed pegged at 45fps with almost no stutters. (this was in a huey)
I5 7600k, 32gb ram, 1070ti.

next to try is a fast jet… well semi fast jet, ther harrier :grinning:

I had a fly around beruit with the huey
And was pleased at how smooth it was, i also tried a tomcat takeoff mission and a flight over Israel in an I16 all was good with no stuttering or tearing
1080 sc 32gb ram and an 8600k stock speed i will reapply the overclock for more prolonged flying :blush:

1 Like

this is just begging for a gbu :smiley:

6 Likes

Giant bridges are for Hollywood-esque rocket passes, or missiles!

4 Likes

especially in a Av8 :grin:

4 Likes