DCS: Syria

Absolutely fantastic trailer. While I’m not pulling the trigger on this (yet), I can see where it would certainly be a great map to fly over.

I will get it tomorrow but when will it be released?

I’m sitting this one out. Will undoubtably be on 50% sale when it’s finished and optimized.

blatantly cribbed from reddit. it’s delicieux!

5 Likes

I spent about a week or so of that war, watching the IAF air strikes going in to the Beirut area on the ship’s radar (USS WAINWRIGHT CG-28)… ah to be young again.

5 Likes

I thought the same, at first. My recent experiences with performance, in missions in PG/NTTR, with a decent amount of ‘stuff’ going on, showed that no matter what, DCS wouldn’t hack it (in VR).

So I figure, as long as it’s not TOO bad performance-wise, with my simple missions, I’ll get it now…cuzz it’s purdy. :grin:

I am done with aircraft modules for a while though, for various reasons.

3 Likes

I’m just seeing this today. Missions that have a lot going on that worked well enough before this latest update, are hanging up. Twice I had to give the three finger salute and once it just told me it had crashed.

I wish I could put a figure to it but, I’ve seen it drag to a crawl for a long time; my earliest example (year or so ago) was with the 476th range targets mod and mission(s). Even cutting the numbers way down it just was too slow - and these were only static objects, most a LONG way from view.

Though it does appear like statics aren’t as bad now but, again, can’t quantify this. It’s like they have a very inefficient method of updating the state of objects. Just a SWAG though.

Pre-ordered! It’s gonna a be great!

ps and DCS promised love to my Viper next update!!!

4 Likes

Hawt dawg! Yeah, the slew of soon-to-be Bekka’a Valley-like missions that will follow will (might) require updates to the Viper.

1 Like

Pre-ordered!

1 Like

I’ll hold , pending a performance review . If it betters Ugra’s last effort , I’ll jump .
I have 2 maps now I never fly , so I’m hoping for the best for Syria .

1 Like

Thanks for that link BTW. Was a good read - and only here would you find those in agreement :slight_smile:

1 Like

holding fire for the moment, i hardly use the maps i have, maybe once the hind is released…

1 Like

If I may wax philosophic for a moment…

All things considered, Syria is a very good map addition. Its’ the right DCS size and it holds covers a region that has seen much air combat since the advent of the jet age, more so than the Southern PG.

If we do not count the WW II maps, this then is the new “Line Up”:

Caucus - This is the neighborhood where DCS was born from LOMAC. Technically not all that much jet age air conflicts. Still there was some air strikes in the 2008 Russo-Georgia War (IIRC a Tu-22M got shot down by a SAM or AAA). Plus this area, with the still disputes status of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, and Georgia’s endeavors for NATO membership provides ample fodder for future conflicts.

NTTR: A good map to practice with…especially if you do not like to deal with ships. I guess that from a Red Flag point of view, that over the last 40 or so years, this part of the world has seen more air combat (training) than any other.

PG: A good map for future conflicts. Let us let our imaginations run wild. Most of the 1980-1988 Iraq/Iran air war was fought much farther north. But it is not like Iran and the Gulf States are bosom buddies.

Syria: Wars in the region, 1948–49, 1956, 1967, 1973, 1982, 2006, 2009, 2015 to present. So everything from early MiGs to the latest high tech fighters.

8 Likes

Thank for that analysis sir. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

There’s a ton of terrain variety in this map. Coastal cities, valleys, flat desert, mountains, etc.

The PG map is underrated. Most people only fly the southern airfields, but the ones up north are very well done and situated in pretty darn interesting terrain.

I fly Nevada a lot. It’s a fairly light map, giving great frames and little distractions. I know it almost as well as the Caucasus, allowing eyeball navigation all across it.

I wonder how it would be for a boy in his 20s, having grown up on DCS and the NTTR map, getting into the USAF. He gets a familiarity flight, and already knows the lay of the land, the Tacans and other freaks by hand. What an impression would he make!

3 Likes

He may also have participated in Red Flag - virtually. Is that virtualizing the virtual?

We need a France Channel 2|3 Gazelle to track the virtual Tour de France…

1 Like

I’m a little bored with the Caucasus, since It’s been around since the dawn of ED, but all the maps serve a purpose.
Now if we could have a North Atlantic and a Sweden/Baltic map… :ajs37:

7 Likes

South Atlantic will have to stand in, but I’d sell my left nut for fjords…

3 Likes