DCS Yak-52

Is this a reply to another topic, like VR nausea or something? :slight_smile:

Not a day one purchase but itā€™s definitely on my radar. Like others have said seems like it could be fun.

1 Like

Price is reasonable for what it is. Not my cup of tea, but itā€™s probably fun to mess around in. Iā€™ll probably pick it up next summer sale.

Not buying it.

But if it teaches them how to do radial engines for my Jug I will mention it at the dinner table.

1 Like

Could be. Iā€™ve not tried out VR yet, to be honest, but ginger pills work great for motion sickness either way.

I was referring the banter about the -52, though.

this would be great

Iā€™d buy if the price was $6. The Yak is moped simple. Beyond the engine thereā€™s not much to model. Developing the thing should have been relatively easy. In DCS there is nothing to do with it. What it brings to the game is a near perfect testbed that is highly accessible for realworld comparison. Unlike the P-51 and the Huey (to my knowledge the only models where davs had access to a real machine) they actually get to fly this one, and cheaply. For a thousand bucks the whole team could get some stick time. DCS really needs a good prop testbed. The props in DCS behave unconvincingly past stall to me. And I have an unprovable sense that changes in propeller airflow across the tailfeathers arenā€™t being sufficiently considered. The YAK can confirm or ā€œcall BSā€ on that sort of subjective opining immediately. So while I see big benefits for DCS in having the model, I see no benefit to me. For now.

1 Like

I donā€™t care about the plane, so I probably wonā€™t spend more than 10ā‚¬ for it.

Having a plane to learn to fly is not bad, especially if it is more forgiving than the warbirds we have.

But my go to bird for learning to fly, learning aerobatics and learning procedures will probably be the C101 (as soon as that damn AFM is finished). Sure, it is a jet, we might want the same for props, but for me it just fits the task better if you want to transition to fighters afterwards.
Same goes for its Russian counterpart, the L39.

the store page seems to be up now. If you have some bonus points laying around from par example PG or the Hornet you can get the price down to $28.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the manual if anybody is curious.

3 Likes

I love mopeds! :slight_smile:
I donā€™t know why, but I have a thing for trainers and quirky looking aircraft. The Yak-52 ticks both boxes. :wink:
But I agree that itā€™s a simple aircraft. I do believe I read someplace that they use it to build a new reciprocating engine model.

The release text says that they developed a radial engine model for it from scratch.

2 Likes

Right! That was it!

As Iā€™m on vacation, with a crappy connection, Iā€™d like to download it and read offline. But I can only read it online. If I download it and try to read it in adobe reader, it says itā€™s corruptedā€¦ Happens to certain files. I can usually fix it by saving the file as PDF on a computer, and then download it.

So, could anybody open the file in Adobe, resave and upload it for meā€¦? Pleeease! :pray: :dog:

Will dropbox work? Dropbox - File Deleted

1 Like

It sure did!
Now it works offline. Thanks!

Cool beans ā€“ Iā€™m on the Steam version so Iā€™ll wait until the 15th and see what people think about it before dropping the coin.

1 Like

Oh. Boy.
You never had to program some flight model, didnā€™t you?

1 Like

For $28 (with the bonus use) I think itā€™s a really good deal, for the level of detail and work that goes into these things. If it was X-Plane it would probably be twice that.

3 Likes