DCS Yak-52

I think $6 is unrealistically low, but I hear you. Little rich for my blood, right now. I’m going to grab it, for sure. I adore Yak-52s so much. I’ll just wait for a sale.

EDIT: I don’t think bonus bux work on new releases, do they?

Does on this one apparently. :slight_smile:

That’s only the case for discounted early access. As soon as the module is released for full price, you can use bonus points.

1 Like

Is this the first DCS module that went directly to “Early Access” release rather than “Pre-order”?

No, the BS was released pretty much feature complete with only bugfixing after release. A-10 as well if i’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

Well, no. A10 has been a LONG time in Beta. Which I admit is a term fell in disuse. (Cue Obi One Kenobi meme)

1 Like

I believe “Early Access” is the new term for “Beta”

1 Like

I was a translator with beta access at that time so i admit that i have a hard time remembering in which state the public got access.

1 Like

Can confirm that the bonus discount does indeed work.

Very fun to fly. Take-off is pretty much a breeze (yes, I have take-off assist completely off) taking only a kick of pedal at the start and then some pretty mild pedal to keep her on the centre-line. While probably realistic, this plane requires left pedal at take-off and at the lower end speeds of the flight regime, wich is the opposite of what we’re used to from the other warbirds. It also has fantastic ground handling for a prop due to the tricycle configuration. I like it so much in fact that I’d hope we would one day get a warbird with this config (P-39 or P-63? Appropiate for the caucasus theatre atleast :wink: The Airacobra is atleast, to my knowledge). It turns pretty much like the fishbed does, but easier. The manual mentions a ski-skid configuration, but I couldn’t find it yet. Could be pretty awesome if we do really get it. Could allow for some pretty cool winter bush flying scenarios. I don’t know how to start her yet. I am waiting for the English pit before I start learing that. Although the option already exists resulting in a partial English pit.

4 Likes

Another trainer. I will have to pass. Saving for better stuff. I can see some real pilots using her as a training aid. As we begin to get more aircraft I can be more picky. I probably have an hour in the C-101 and 2 in the L-39. I let them teach me a lesson. Did not really feel any enthusiasm for this ugly bird. It was an odd choice. Now the Jug, I’m all IN. Sorry ED.

Eagle Dynamics made this for the Первый полет aerobatics team on a contractual basis and managed to negotiate the publication of the module. Pretty much the same way we got our hands on the A-10C via the Air National Guard. If anything, ED now has a good foundation for radial engines, which only furthers the development of the P-47.

4 Likes

I’m no test pilot or aerobatic competitor, nor have I flown a Yak-52 IRL, but the FM feels pretty good doing basic aerobatic maneuvers. I tried a series of barrel rolls, loops, snap rolls, 4 pt rolls, power off stalls, spins, cuban eights, and tail slides. The control inputs and responses were pretty much what I expected. This is an easy aircraft to fly and learn the basics of flight without getting the student in too much trouble.

I wasn’t sure about power and rpm settings, so I did most all maneuvers at 7 on the MPG and ~80% RPM. Need to go watch some YouTube videos to see how the real aircraft is flown. I flew with the cowl flaps full open, but the oil cooler flaps full closed trying to keep the needles in the green. Radiator was OK, but oil temp gauge never did move much out of the cool zone.

Really fun aircraft to tool around building your basic flight maneuvers while listening to wonderful radial sounds. The $12 discount was a bonus.

7 Likes

You pushed me over the edge Dan… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I didn’t even realise this was out!

I actually like having a basic trainer in DCS - a definite buy at some point for me. I’ve flown the L-39 heaps.

It is a fun little airplane. It certainly feels like there is some weight in the nose when you stall it. Start up from cold is pretty straight forward. The damage model needs some work, but that’s ok for now.

2 Likes

It already has an english cockpit. You can switch to it in the special tab of the plane.

2 Likes

I noticed this :smiley: the pit is partially English with this option. Atleast it is on my end.

Thank you for this insight. Now I see how it works. I’m always conscious of developers. I know they are people like who need a paycheck. If we dont pay… the product stops development and we all lose. But now I understand why the not so obvious choices. I remember when the 109 Buchon was being talked about. I thought “WHY?” But I see now. I guess if enough interested parties get behind a product w enough cash, DCS can make a module. Still I wonder why some obvious projects are overlooked. At any rate, we are moving forward in leaps and bounds. DCS IS at a state of development unlike my wildest dreams. None of us have time to be proficient at every module. Yet we want more and more. We yearn for things like the MiG-19. Oleg Maddox would say " You Cant handle the MiG-19!!" and he would be right. Perhaps this is also the reasoning behind this release. Learning to fly a taildragger w 1100 hp was a challenge. IRL a recipe for disaster. For some this will be a great trainer. For me the Christian Eagle sounds more intriguing. Maybe when a sale comes along I may be convinced by the Yak. I’m fickle like that.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain that I will not be buying the Christen Eagle. I wasn’t all that interested in the Yak 52 either to be perfectly honest, but I am glad I got it now that I have had a couple of flights in it. At least the Yak has a military background/history.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time not pulling the trigger, here.

1 Like