DCS Yak-52

I’ll take that bet! :wink:

If they would improve the civilian navigation infrastructure in DCS (I don’t have any of the add on terrains) I think they’d have better time selling civilian planes and trainers. It’s less motivating to go do a cross country or shoot approaches, when all I have are NBD’s and a few TACAN’s to work with.

2 Likes

does the Yak remind anyone else of a Japanese “Kate”?

1 Like

Considering how much time I have (not) spent on the P-51 and TF-51, largely because if I want prop action I fly Il-2’s titles, this is an easy pass for me.

If I just want to fly around in DCS, I already have plenty of platforms I can take up.

Not to say others won’t find fun with it, if it does it for you then by all means, just that I’ve not had much interest in flying without combat since the 1980s and Flight Simulator II. Before MS bought it, before it had jets, before textures. It’s good to have variety to pick from, as long as the company is never in a “people better buy this obscure plane or we’re finished” situation.

High performance 3rd + gen planes is where my interest lies, and even then there are plenty I’ve skipped. I’ll wait patiently for another, like the Tomcat. :slight_smile:

I’m enjoying it, because I am still delusional about my prospects of aircraft ownership and the going price of your everyday Yak-52 is a ridiculous $55k - $75k. I’m wondering about the rest of the cost of ownership. That radial is probably dear to overhaul.

1 Like

It is glorious radial engine of Soviet design. Made of Stalinium. It no work, you fix with maljutka. Easy. Be sure.

1 Like

Bought. I feel like I’m back in a T-34. Though I’d love to see some gun or rocket pods hanging under the wings, it’s still a lot of fun to practice basic airwork.

To your point schurem, I found this FAQ concerning Sukoi and Yak ownership in the US. Jump down the the TBO section. Interesting stuff. "There were no annual inspections and little if any preventative maintenance. - When I first asked how frequently I should change the oil I was told that they did not bother since after aerobatics, they had to add oil anyway so It was constantly being changed! "

http://www.yak-52.com/faqs.htm#How%20are%20YAK%20and%20Sukhoi

2 Likes

Going back through my Cracker Fly-In photos, does anyone know what this is? The aircraft guys.

Edit: Nanchang CJ-6

Nanchang CJ-6?

1 Like

Must be.

The engine is a great design but does need more maintenance and constant tuning than an acro Lycoming. Parts are plentiful. All acro engines get an “automatic oil change” every few flights because so much goes out the breather during the transition between positive and negative G. (I change mine plus filter every 15 hours anyway). The real Yak is a bargain for what you get. But I would much prefer a 55.

I bet you would smonkinhole, which is what I would be if I owned one. That is a smoking hole :smile:

1 Like

I’m glad ED released this aircraft module. Will I get it? Probably, later on when I’m ready for something very different in DCS. The point I think that gets missed in some of these discussions about new modules, especially about ones the community thinks are mistakes is that someone who doesn’t have DCS and not interested in virtual air combat may get into DCS for the chance at flying a civilian module with ED’s famous “flight model”.

How can it hurt? The production of this module has already been paid for by another organization. It has been negotiated to allow the rest of us to have it if we want and it showcases ED’s flight model expertise to the rest of the flight simulation community like P3D, X-Plane etc.

Any product that brings in new members to this community, particularly into DCS I’m for. Now of course ED has to continue to improve the game engine and add things like a proper and useful ATC and AWACS. Hopefully that will be forthcoming. Oh and ED, if you are listening…please get us a “civilian aircraft asset pack” so we can fill the virtual skies with non-combatants allowing us to practice our “IFF” skills. :wink:

6 Likes

Didn’t Flanker 1 and 2 have civs in them? Or were they just transports? I thought I remembered going on intercept missions and ID’ing airliners over Crimea.

While we’re at it, how about actual civilian vehicles too, so we can really require precision for strike missions. One of my favorite missions in the old Jane’s Superhornet Resolute Fury campaign was having a J STARS ID a car being driven by a terrorist leader, and you have to pick the right car for a Maverick strike. I’m working on a scenario now that could use those civilian options.

3 Likes

The game is brimming with civilian ground vehicles. You shouldn’t have a problem there.

Destructible ones? And for what I have in mind, I could really use a limousine of some kind.

2 Likes

The ones placed via mission editor certainly are. I’m pretty sure the Georgian auto-genned civilian traffic is aswell. Not so sure about Nevada or PG.

2 Likes

Pretty sure I remember a @WreckingCrew mission revolving around a stolen nuke being transported by a civ truck headed towards your airbase. Honestly one of the mission I had the most fun with, I was in a F-15, no time to rearm, or switch planes. Server messages that the truck is getting closer and closer, searching roads frantically.

Edit… I think we even have forum badge that is awarded for destroying the truck…

1 Like