Delid My CPU

Kind of an appropriate final photo in a topic about delid’ing an i5? :slight_smile:

So far the delid has been pretty good, in that the 10C delta has been great at keeping the chip useful, in that I can run it at 3.9 turboboost under a stress test for 1 hour and it keeps at about 60C, which is far better than it was.

6 Likes

Delid it!

3 Likes

I’ve decided to keep it in the box forever as an art installation called ‘The Tragedy of Consumerism -Banana for Scale’. Exit through the gift shop please.

You can see the chip just hovering there like this is a Tron movie or something.

11 Likes

It is very satisfying to have things and not open them. I think I gave @PaulRix a conniption when I waited a few weeks to open my Rift… :rofl:

4 Likes

Do you have to get a new mobo for that too?

1 Like

Yes, I got this stuff: Delid My CPU - #77 by fearlessfrog

Unfortunately, looks like one of the DDR4 sticks turned up dead, so not super fun so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I nearly made the trek from Texas to knock on your door and threaten to sit on your doorstep until you had set up your Rift and tried it… lol.

4 Likes

Great quest frog.
Sure keep that i9 in the box, once opened it will lost the value :wink:

Btw

To keep myself from decisions and reproaches like this I always buy the ’ non-K ’ type of processors. Less investment, less stress imo :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it would be interesting to try DCS out on the 2080 with the same settings I used for the 1070. I did clear the shader caches, but that’s all.

1070 Before:

2080 After:

It’s still possible to make that 90 frames per second go under, but I think that’s a towns bug, or certainly something they seem to know about with the VR optimization stuff.

So far happy with it, although I’ll now be tempted to turn up the settings until it’s not smooth I guess.

This is with WMR and the O+, at an oversampled resolution of 2016x2516 per eye.

I still need to overclock the i9 and GPU a bit, but fitting the new cooling means rebuilding, so not today.

4 Likes

It’s nice huh? And there is a nice “feeling” when it gets smooth…even at 30 or so in something like X-Plane or P3D, there is some feeling of effortless smoothness that I can’t quite put a finger on.

1 Like

By the way, that EVGA X1 software is doing something neat-ish with DCS, plus it is nicer to use than most other GPU overclock utils.

I am not sure why, but if I do load a flight and then switch to it, hit ‘Default’ and then switch back it seems to add 10% more GPU utilization to DCS, meaning solid frames. Kind of odd but cool - DCS GPU Utilization Funny - Not Just Pimax? - #7 by fearlessfrog

2 Likes

I’ve ordered a delidder and some liquid metal…

Found a shop here in Norway that has the ”Der8auer Delid Die Mate 2” and some Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut…
Maybe I can push my i7 8700K a little further?
Or maybe I’ll get to buy a 9900 instead…? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Uh-oh…

3 Likes

Ooh! We’ll see whether this one results in a picture of a new CPU box… :smiley:

Don’t know what I’m hoping for, really… :wink:

That said, for single core performance, I don’t think my i7 8700K @5GHz is a slouch.
Just did a stress test and it runs at 71-77°C at full load, water cooled.

@fearlessfrog’s chip already showed signs of running hot…

1 Like

Preparations…

What could possibly go wrong…?

The actual delid process was somewhat un-exiting.

Cleaned and ready!

Liquid metal applied…

Heatresistant silicon applied to the IHS and back in the tool to cure.

Now, off to the movies while I wait.

7 Likes

What a super awesome mat! I did not know these exist. Good luck, Troll

1 Like

I’m happy to report a raving success!
Temps are now between 58-62°C, running the same test as before the delid. Furthermore, the temps seem to be more coherent across the cores…
So, a tempdrop of about 15°C is a win, for me.

And, for everybody on the fence about delidding… It’s easy. Nothing to it.
Anybody in need of a great delid tool, gimme a call.

It is!
Banggood’s got you covered.

5 Likes

It depends a bit on the CPU you have. I think the newest Intel CPUs have a little SMD in the way of the delidding that makes it considerably more tricky. Suffice to say the CPU won’t like it if you shear the SMD.

AFAIK the ”Der 8auer Delid Die Mate 2 - German Engineered Perfection” :wink: is designed to take care of that, by pulling the IHS off, instead of pushing.