Elite Dangerous Thread

I keep forgetting that the enemies you face PvE are based on your own ship size.

Took the Vulture out and had much better luck.

Question for anybody with a Clipper: what are you even using it for these days? I love mine, but I don’t know what to do with her, as I’m burned out on mining.

OK, another question.

Skimmer kill missions.

Where in the blue blazes do you find the things???

I’ve been driving all over chasing my wave scanner like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick, and I’ve not found a single one anywhere. Seriously, is the payout so high because of associated impossibility/ frustration level of this mission type?

Paging @Bogusheadbox, resident skimmer whisperer and water diviner

Hangar ornament.

So yeah, sit down… this might take a while.
LOL, no it won’t.

Ok, the best way we have found which is very profitable as some missions will stack (killing one skimmer may count towards more than one contract if you have more than one contract or “stack” them.) is as follows.

As per @komemiute 's video, you could attack the base assigned. But we found you will get the penalty or fine for trespassing and on higher paid missions even security vessels. We found it best not to attack assigned base.

So this is what we do.

Fly to the base/planet assigned to be in general area. Then move away from base and search for POI’s (points of interest). IIRC poi’s show up on the scanner as a blue circle when you are above 2klm from the surface.

So fly around until you spot the blue circle

Try to put yourself roughly in the middle of the circle then land straight down. Look about as you head down as you may pick up a site with skimmers visually.

Get in rover and use wave scanner to find various areas that may be protected by skimmers. Just be warned though, some sites may have a ship somewhere near. Don’t attack the skimmers, if there is a landed ship nearby. It will attack you. Just move on to another site.

Each point of interest (blue circle) holds multiple sites. Usually a minimum of 4 and i have had up to 7-8 depending on how easy they are to find with wave scanner.

You must be inside a POI

Check out my wave scanner tutorial

3 Likes

Thanks, @Bogusheadbox!

I sorta ended up finding the base and killing skimmers there, but it was a Lawless area, so I guess that’s why I got no fines or bounty? And I learned that it’s actually possible to shoot the things down from your ship, if you’re low enough.

Skimmer missions are frustrating as hell just because of finding them. I gave up on them when I was still playing. That wave scanner mechanic needs some updating to make it more user friendly.

Rhino, check out my tutorial. I think the way they have implemented the wavescanner is very good.

Just have to understand what its telling you and you will be fine. The secret to the wave scanner is you MUST BE IN A POI

Because the wave scanner won’t pick up anything if there is nothing there.

1 Like

Oh I get that. I just find it frustrating. Others don’t, it’s all good!

Yeah no problemo :slight_smile:

I completely missed this until I read your post above. Thanks!

I used her last night for some missions - the only downside is the Large size restriction that keeps her from being able to land at outposts.

They should really create an add-on slot for like a docking hatch type thing, and add that to the outposts, so that ships can just be used. Say restrict it so you can’t load / unload cargo, but you can refuel. Can’t buy a new ship either as there’s nowhere to keep the existing one, but ya.

Kinda lot of work for minimal use though. This is why I don’t design games.

1 Like

I’m doing missions out of Upsilon Aquarii, getting my allied status higher for those passenger missions to Smeagol, and I’m getting really close to getting the scratch to afford an Anaconda while I’m at it. Which I would then use to run more passenger missions until Beyond drops, anyway.

Anybody out that way?

Is there any word on when this update is going to hit the standard game

Before the end of the month, is the rumor.

I’m not really sure what they’re adding here, hasn’t been much really since we first got planet (moons?) landings. I want to see walking around ships and atmospheric flight!!!

An overhaul to the crime and punishment system that will hopefully cut back on the power of trolls and griefers, a new way of doing engineering, and something with the economy I think?

And hopefully something to improve making money.

1 Like

@Mace
I think this can help!

I created this thread to keep up with the updates, hope it helps!

2 Likes