Elite Dangerous Thread

@Bogusheadbox would know. Most of my touring of skrippo’s immediate space has been starside.

Having issues uploading photos, but I’m Branglal 1D near Galindo Hub. So far it’s very boring.

1 Like

gonna log in right now. Have about 20 mins I think that I can burn shooting down wanted folks

Man, that was hairy. I got stuck in the turret view, still don’t know the proper way to exit it. I just drove near my ship and got back into the cockpit view. I couldn’t find a “turret view toggle mode” in the controls, as forum posts had suggested. I’ll need to look more.

Then I couldn’t figure out how to get the SRV back on the ship! Luckily, I figured out that as well - get under the ship, bring up the bottom HUD, select “Board Ship”.

Yay!

Now what?

1 Like

During my short trip to the nav beacon managed a single fight that yielded 120k bounty. To the alliance. Sigh.

@fearlessfrog there are a host of good planets around to play on. To be honest, i have not had a bad planet.

Things to look out for is planet type (icy, rock etc ) as they all have different friction levels. Then planet mass equally alters your driving experience. Small planet mass = low gravity and is great fun jumping with your boosters. Heavy planet mass means more friction with your wheels and more precise handling, but you boosters for jumping are less effective. Max grav worlds are in excess of 10g and small planetoids are a fraction of a g.

I like very much using the wave scanner and have written a tutorial on its use if you are interested. Fairly easy to pick up once you know what to look for and hear for.

A great buggy day was when another player and i decided to fly to a very large crater, one with the spike in the center. We landed and deployed on the spike and our goal was to drive down to the bottom of the crater. Well the spike ended up being many multiple kilometres tall and the spike faces became almost vertical in places. We both died in the attempt, but great fun.

Also with planets, you will see on some, fog banks from gasses being squeezed from the rocks to geysers. Not only that, you can earn lots of money in missions or just grabbing minerals for synthesis.

There are some great intrusion missions to be had on the surface as well that can be very difficult. Things like infiltrating a military base and either downloading data or hacking and shutting down generators to turn the base offline for a time. These can be great fun in a group.

Anyway, yes… there is a lot of fun to be had on planets and i have not found a boring one yet.

1 Like

I’ve been on lots of planets, I was asking more if you had played on a wing in the local one we’re meeting up in? Something with canyons etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just spent 3 million on moving some ships to sskripriochchkaka Mudspike home base. We can play ‘who can jump over the T-9 in a buggy’ or something :slight_smile:

Ahhh sorry. Can’t tell as not at computer and away from home. Sorry, about as useful as flyscreens on a submarine

1 Like

I still haven’t so much as purchased an srv

Dang this game is pretty.

4 Likes

If you fly wery wery carefully (Mr Wabbit) into that neutron star flair (about 3/4 up) you’ll get a one off FSD boost of up to 40 ly. They are called Neutron Highways and explorers love em.

1 Like

@Andrew116 talked me into trying one of the Commnity Goals - getting construction materials for the California Nebula. The real selling point was the minimum payoff of 700,000 credits. To a guy with 300K in the bank, 700,000 credits is a windfall.

Looking at the Galaxy Map, the target system of Furuhjelm III-674 was only 70+ lightyears away, a skip and a hop in my Cobra. OK, it was actually more like 13 jumps, but still, really close. Checking eddb.io, I found a couple systems within one hop that had the requisite materials. Easy money.

In just a few minutes I was at a port, near the target system, picking up 36 units of “Geological Equipment”…

…and a single hop later I’m at Tshang City, selling them for a whopping profit of 3,000 credits…

…unless you count the 700,000 I earned just by participating.

There’s something to participation trophies after all!

At this point, I’m not sure it’s worth it to keep moving commodities. With over 5,000 contributors, and less than a week to go, I doubt I’ll be able to move up in tiers, although getting into that 75% bracket and earning 2 million would be pretty sweet!

3 Likes

Nice - the community in CGs often use a shared spreadsheet on the Frontier forum to log the tiers. 75% could be good :slight_smile:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/316938-Alliance-Appeal-for-Construction-Materials-(Trade)/?page=1

2 Likes

Reddit seems a little more up-to-date on the lower boundaries - I’m not even thinking about breaking into the top 10% just yet.

Wow, even at only 36t each trip, that’s actually achievable!

2 Likes

CG’s are really tempting like that - the best way to make money and visit new places too. They are interesting because as more people join towards the end, the statistical mean of each tier sort of widens, which means you can slip up a tier (or down one if the tier above goes crazy etc). They also allow you to get local faction reputation just by delivering stuff, which can help increase your ‘super-power’ rep, i.e. a local faction that is Federation based will increase your rank with them, allowing you to do ‘Federal Navy’ (or Empire on the other side) missions that appear, which then in turn allows you to visit Sol and do stuff like purchase Federal and Empire Navy warships. Pew pew!

What will you spend the money on? With some ‘D’ modules in that Cobra those jumps will get easier…

Don’t forget that it finishes at tier 8 and the rewards jump up again - I’d guess you were good for 1 million CR even in the top 100% :money_mouth:

2 Likes

Are those navy missions locked to specific fed systems? I haven’t seen one in forever and have been stuck at petty officer or whatever even though I have been steadily increasing my fed rep (61% through friendly right now)

No, they will spawn wherever you have a ‘Friendly’ rep with the local Federation aligned faction. I think you will need to be 100% next for the next rank-up, i.e. in your status display it will show something like ‘Federation 61% - Petty Officer 21%’ - you need to get that 21% to 100% before a navy mission will randomly appear I believe. Just doing stuff for Federation aligned factions will automatically increase this I think.

Also, I’ve never seen an Empire or Fed Navy upgrade mission ever appear in anything but ‘Open’, but that might be a bug or just pure chance on my end.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. Seems like the petty officer ranking goes up pretty slowly, but then so does the actual superpower percentage, so I guess that makes sense.

I have noticed it increase (it was at 41% the other day and it`s now 45%).

Thanks.

1 Like

Found a nice small planet with fog on it close to skrippo whilst looking for minerals for my engineers.

Looks quite impressive, with those canyons… One certainly must.

Deep canyons disappear in the mist. Very atmospheric… Can’t see bloody anything though.

5 Likes