Falcon BMS 4.33

To be honest with you, for me, VR really is that important . A lot really depends on what the simulation experience means to you personally. I play DCS because I want to get a taste of what it feels like to fly a fighter. VR gives me that, well as close as I can get without strapping into a real jet. Track-IR and a big screen doesn’t come close in that respect.

Strangely, I haven’t really adopted VR in X-Plane yet. I think that may be because I want something else from the X-Plane experience.

1 Like

I’m not gonna do the VR pro/con runaround. Everyone knows where everyone stands by now. I’d just like to ask why people need to publicly renounce a game because it’s missing support for one thing they like. Even if that one feature is that important to them, they don’t need to go rain on other people’s fun.

If anyone is down to fire it up, I’d be interested in getting into something.

I’m not raining on anyone’s parade. If BMS floats your boat then more power to you.

I didn’t say you were :slight_smile:

I decided a while back I was going to wait for gen 2 VR before I jump in. Even then I don’t expect it to completely replace my flat screen track-ir flying anytime soon. I really like the smoothness of G-Sync and I don’t think that’s coming to VR anytime soon either. I played around with an assortment of 4k TV’s as my main monitor last year but returned every one of them and went back to 1440p w/G-Sync.

I started flying Falcon back at 3.0 so its always been near and dear to my heart. I love Falcon BMS and all but I really can’t stand the dev’s code of secrecy about the development of it. I’d throw money at someone who picked up development of this sim and modernized it.

1 Like

Oh boy- ohhh boy the memories. :slight_smile:
Me too, such a blast. I was lucky enough to have a 486 DX50 with Math Co-Processor.
Maxing all the options always is a good feeling.

hey man i wasnt trying to rain on anyoes fun. in fact i was envying them their fun. I have great memories of falcon4.

If someone was to pick up our money and make a falcon5 with all the modern schnazz and pizzazz, i’d be all over it. And so would you :smiley:

1 Like

I’m always game for some lawn dart 4.0. The day I can get a four ship wall or a grind going properly in BMS is always a good day :smiley:

1 Like

via Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

I agree!
And I understand how it may seem like derogatory remarks when I whine about the lack of VR support in F4 or RoF. It isn’t actually directed at those sims, per se. It’s all about my frustration over my own inability to enjoy sims that I used to love.
VR really transformed flightsimming for me, for good and bad.
In a way I wish VR never happened. I was perfectly happy with my 34” Curved 21:9 screen, and TrackIR. If they hadn’t released the Rift, I would be flying with full graphics setting at a gazillion FPS.

VR really is a Pandoras Box in that it is totally-never look back-marvelous, but it destroyed several older sims for me.

All in all, taking into account the groundbreaking sim F4 was when released, the mods and its longevity, it’s the best flightsim of all times. And I’ve put myself on the outside, looking in… I don’t quite know how I feel about that.

3 Likes

As gamers we make these choices all the time. I walked away from Elite Dangerous, an otherwise amazing game, because of what I perceived as a grind too far. This hobby has enough variety that it allows us to make these choices. Furthermore, this is a forum. By the very definition of the current use of that word, we come here to discuss our preferences and learn the preferences of others. So long as you are asking, that is my answer.

2 Likes

BTW, the HOTAS setup was mentioned above. I found Falcon to have the most intuitive setup of any complex sim. Compared to IL2:New, where you cannot know what a button does what without giving it another assignment, it is eons ahead even though it is 20 years behind. I like the arrangement because I can go into Setup and just start hitting buttons and see the function. It takes about 30 seconds and I am good to go, even after a long break. To make the initial setup, you find a function, then you hit the button you want to achieve that function. On your first flight you will find a few axes to be reversed, you hop back to Setup and invert them. It’s the fastest HOTAS setup of any sim I play (or used to play :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

It’s amazing how perception changes between people!
And I mean this in the best way! :slight_smile:

To be honest I don’t recall the detail of what was so infuriating with BMS setup.
I for sure remember that all my peripherals got continuously mixed up and the setting erased every time I tried to incrementally add a function I forgot earlier.

Admittedly it can have changed with the continuous updates BMS received.

Well, I knew I’d have give it another shot so— what better place than here, what better time than now?
:smiley:
Who wants to start organizing a meet-up this weekend?

EDIT: personally speaking DCS has so far the second best assignment procedure ever.
The first one goes, hands down and pretty much quite a number of steps ahead, to… WAR THUNDER!

Yes. it is amazing, fast and precise. :smiley:

Once you go VR you tend to not wanna go back…

1 Like

I imagine a fair number of us will be spending time with families (Easter) so the roster might be sparse. That said, I should have time Sunday and can host both a Falcon server and IVC if there’s interest.

I’ll be around, would love to join something. Flying anything in multiplayer is way more fun to me than any single player flight simming.

1 Like

@AeroMechanical, we fixed the “no enemy fighters” problem for you…

3 Likes

In case you are wondering, that is me and NB versus a 4 ship of Mig-29A’s, a 4 ship of SU-30MKK’s 2 4 ships of Mig-29S’s and somewhere later a 4 ship of J-11A’s

I killed 3 Mig’s, 1 SU-30MKK, and guns killed one of the J-11A’s…

Then RTB’d to a flameout landing at the alternate airbase. NB ran out of gas in the balls to the wall dogfight at 500 feet against the juche blob.

2 Likes

While in a rolling scissors with a MiG-29A, and 2+ J-11s, while their friends threw in AA-10Cs and AA-12s while getting shot at by a ZSU-57-2. This was after I forced a J-11 into a tree, and did not count the two Mig-29s I scored on the ingress.

3 Likes