Game Deals & Book thread

I’m not a big console guy either, but my Rift included an Xbox controller, and I did race a lot of MX and hare scrambles growing up. So, I jumped on the MXGP3 deal based on your vid LB. I’ve been on Spring break with the kids, so only had time to install the game. Just looking through some of the Steam forum posts I found a reference to this video:

Anyway, the Steam manual for MXGP3 is really light, and what I didn’t see is the ability to map a dirt bike control axis to a game controller axis. So, I’m assuming that leaning/turning left/right is either all on or all off. Same with throttle and braking. Not good for a racing sim :open_mouth: But, hey, it’s a game and not a sim, so let’s see how much “hold my beer watch this” fun we get for our $15 investment. Will try it out tonight.

I’m using a Logitech controller and it works okay. Granted, I don’t have much seat time yet. Left stick does the leaning left and right and the right stick does the leaning forward and back. The left lever button does braking and the right does acceleration. You can modulate it. I’m running simple controls at the moment. I’m not even manual shifting or using rear brakes independently.

After the basic course, try Glen Helen in first person view. Incredible

If I buy this and start beating you all the time are you gonna stop playing games with me? :grin:

edit: I suck at racing games so this is unlikely. Also unlikely I will buy this.

Thanks saghen. Looking forward to that. Perhaps we need a MXGP3, MX, or motorcycle racing sim thread.

Let us know what do you think @chipwich … I’m interested to hear a MXer’s opinion. All my motorcycle experience has been on the road.

+1 on Glen Helen btw @saghen. I was tooling around on it last night and having a good time. One thing I’d like to do is put a curve on the steering axis as the bottom end seems way too sensitive. Any ideas?

Guys, I’ve created a motorcycle racing sim/game thread. Let’s continue the MXGP3 discussion there so we leave this one open to new games and deals. Cheers.

1 Like

STRATEGY BUNDLE!!!
There’s quite some saucy bits in here!

If anyone’s interest after @MBot AAR, CMANO is an at all time low (70% off).

Silly as it seems…

1 Like

…I don’t know. Did you look at the feature list? Might have to dust off my Steam version of Ghost Recon this weekend to check it out.

1 Like

So they turned ghost recon into ARMA? Sweet.

3 Likes

Whelp, ok I have it installed on Steam.
Steam handle… komemiute.
Just in case.

1 Like

he’s not the only one that hated the direction GR took

There was only ever one “ghost recon” and that was combined install from game and 2 expansions.

There was never a ghost recon after that

2 Likes

I so concur.

Ok so i did some googling for videos of the GR mod, and unless I didn’t find the right ones, this game makes ARMA 2 look next gen.

In all seriousness, is this a nostalgia thing where people just want to play the old style GR with mods, or is this supposed to be a standalone, infantry sim competitor?

No, I guess you nailed. It’s just the perfected version of an old glory. Of course it can’t keep up with modern products, it’s not supposed to be.

I must have sunk hundreds of hours in this first GR and its two/three updates and after a while I could see the shortcomings in the coding, in the physical simulation (materials penetration was entirely missing, for instance), the wounding mechanics was rudimentary at best… I could go on.

Now I’m truly excited and can’t wait to see the new missions, kits, scripting… I guess the best value it’s exactly for the old guys who played this in its original form, not to “bring it to the masses”.

Someone could debate the scope of sixteen years of further development for such an old game- but I see this as a work of art and as such is justified in itself.

Peggle, PopCap’s rage-inducing digital pachinko game, is free on Origin

In his impressively long readme (which at times feels more like a kind of manifesto…) the mod creator goes into this:

Ghost Recon strikes a perfect balance between action FPS and military simulator by side-stepping both the simplistic arcade approach of the later Counter-Strike, Battlefield, and Call of Duty series, as well as the overly cumbersome complexity of scale simulation minutiae found in titles like Operation Flashpoint, VBS, and ArmA.

I can kinda see his point. Arma’s great with an ocean of width and depth but even with practice the interface and overall feel is pretty clunky.

Fixed that for him.

I don’t think I can go back to walking funny…

1 Like