Game Deals & Book thread

STRATEGY BUNDLE!!!
There’s quite some saucy bits in here!

If anyone’s interest after @MBot AAR, CMANO is an at all time low (70% off).

Silly as it seems…

1 Like

…I don’t know. Did you look at the feature list? Might have to dust off my Steam version of Ghost Recon this weekend to check it out.

1 Like

So they turned ghost recon into ARMA? Sweet.

3 Likes

Whelp, ok I have it installed on Steam.
Steam handle… komemiute.
Just in case.

1 Like

he’s not the only one that hated the direction GR took

There was only ever one “ghost recon” and that was combined install from game and 2 expansions.

There was never a ghost recon after that

2 Likes

I so concur.

Ok so i did some googling for videos of the GR mod, and unless I didn’t find the right ones, this game makes ARMA 2 look next gen.

In all seriousness, is this a nostalgia thing where people just want to play the old style GR with mods, or is this supposed to be a standalone, infantry sim competitor?

No, I guess you nailed. It’s just the perfected version of an old glory. Of course it can’t keep up with modern products, it’s not supposed to be.

I must have sunk hundreds of hours in this first GR and its two/three updates and after a while I could see the shortcomings in the coding, in the physical simulation (materials penetration was entirely missing, for instance), the wounding mechanics was rudimentary at best… I could go on.

Now I’m truly excited and can’t wait to see the new missions, kits, scripting… I guess the best value it’s exactly for the old guys who played this in its original form, not to “bring it to the masses”.

Someone could debate the scope of sixteen years of further development for such an old game- but I see this as a work of art and as such is justified in itself.

Peggle, PopCap’s rage-inducing digital pachinko game, is free on Origin

In his impressively long readme (which at times feels more like a kind of manifesto…) the mod creator goes into this:

Ghost Recon strikes a perfect balance between action FPS and military simulator by side-stepping both the simplistic arcade approach of the later Counter-Strike, Battlefield, and Call of Duty series, as well as the overly cumbersome complexity of scale simulation minutiae found in titles like Operation Flashpoint, VBS, and ArmA.

I can kinda see his point. Arma’s great with an ocean of width and depth but even with practice the interface and overall feel is pretty clunky.

Fixed that for him.

I don’t think I can go back to walking funny…

1 Like

It definitely requires effort. Between GoG and Steam I’ve been dabbling in returning to some of the classic “Tactical Shooters” of the late 90’s and 'aughts (SWAT, Hidden & Dangerous, and now Ghost Recon) and from that I can conclude a few things:

1. The rose tinted glasses are real.
  2. We’ve come a long way in UI design.
  3. Despite #1 and #2, I’m still having a lot of fun.
  4. A lot of modern attempts at tactical shooters are missing the point.

What is the point? I… I actually don’t know. It’s like at some point, the classic tacshooters were slow but not clunky, deliberate without being obsessive, and detail-oriented without being pedantic. I’d have to think more about what I’m actually implying here.

3 Likes

TBH, I think this is the whole point with videogames.
Like- really the while point.
Bloody hell, that sentence is the quintessential Zen-level truth about it…

From the original creators of Syndicate (minus Peter Molyneux- for someone it’s a dealbreaker…) you can have their modernised version FOR FREE!!!

Got that one @komemiute its a good game

2 Likes

Funny as in streamlined? I loved that walk. Tactical as F*ck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ohboy, tried the new & reworked campaing and it really clicks! :smiley:
Love it BUT it should really be played co-op… :sweat_smile: got meself a good arse kicking.

1 Like