General Discussion/Questions

How many days in advance of a show do the Thunderbirds show up at the base? We will just miss the show at Tyndall next weekend, but was hoping we might see them practice if we hang out at Mexico Beach or somewhere close…

Based on when they were here at Pease, they arrived sometime around Wednesday, and practiced Thursday and Friday for shows on Sat. and Sun.

The practices were shorter than the show but I remember thinking that I felt I had seen most of it just driving around town those days.

1 Like

What is this facility? It is called the Eglin AFB Test Station 2 or something. Is it a tracking facility? I told Kai it is a planetary shield generator…

2 Likes

Eglin does a bunch of live weapons testing, could be something to do with tracking aircraft and stuff like that.

1 Like

Agreed can confirm

2 Likes

That was exactly the scene I was thinking about…LOL…

Why do printers never work when you most want them to? It’s like - they know. I hate them. I really, really, really do hate printers. It’s like a visceral, angry hatred too. Like, I want to kill them with my hands.

1 Like

I had to take a bit of systems administration and network engineering for my degree. I couldn’t name them all off, but I remember there were like fifteen conceptual steps between clicking the mouse, and the printer printing.

I don’t hate printers, I fear them.

1 Like

The good thing about it is that you use them less and less. I only need to use my private printer on two occasions: when I get ill to send some form to my employer and when I hand in my declaration of income tax.

One can be avoided by a healthy way of life…

Printers were the first thing computers were hooked up to and have to deal with a freakishly large stack of legacy stuff. Computerphile youtube channel has a lot of interesting video’s on how printers work and how they came to be.

But yes, scary scary stuff.

Okay so the weirdest thing is going on. On Nevada on my personal test mission the Mirage M-2000C gets less then 1 frame per second. Any other aircraft is fine. This also happens on the official insta-action missions. The Mirage on the Caucasus map is totally fine and has one of the highest framerates for me… I have no idea what’s going on :smile:

You know this I’m sure but double check that civilian traffic is turned off.

1 Like

It’s turned on, weirdly enough not bothering other aircraft so I hope it isn’t that. Will have to check.

So, my work account has a few random printers throughout the engine shop on it… I’m too afraid to change it since the whole set-up is as wonkey as you might expect already. I just hope it doesn’t collapse like a house of cards at some point…

printers, scary innit?

I’ve discovered irrefutable proof @BeachAV8R is actually an East German Spy!

5 Likes

riflemen hungreh

2 Likes

I’m English…! So say the Mormons that own my DNA!

1 Like

@klarsnow @BeachAV8R @smokinhole @anon51893362 @Sine_Nomine

A question to all of you, how much would you saw the throw on a momentary push button on a INS button panel is? Imagine a DCS Mirage/Gazelle like INS panel. Big buttons that can easily be pushed with a glove on. I’ve settled on a dimension of 15 x 15mm but I have no idea what the vertical depression is. The bog standard momentary action switches for a PCB have a range of about 0.5mm down when a little force is applied. They have a satisfying click though.

Don’t know about DCS. In 135…think of mechanical keyboard that requires less travel but more pressure.

1 Like

I feared as much, it’s not something found in modern planes… Perhaps i should google some museum pieces.

Sort off, getting the INS punched in is one of the most annoying tasks in most simulators, very mouse intensive and just a chore overall. So I figured i’d get a quick down and dirty INS panel done. Got a few test buttons at the 3D print company now that fit around the PCB buttons.I am thinking about a better design with a spring to create a bit of a throw as you experience with those buttons.

Ah yes, those are nice buttons, they latch right? I think they are quite deep, 4 or 5cm even.

This is what I currently have. Not sure if i’ll like how it will feel though…

1 Like