GOTHQ Get Out The Hangar Queens AJS-37 Viggen

7 Likes

A really interesting read on the RB-04E:

I think I’m going to try out a few things with the missiles - they seem quite fun.

What’s interesting is, the RB-4E launch cue line indicates 40 seconds to target…at 10m altitude and 15C, M1 is about 340m/s, so if the missile is going at M0.9 (I’ll need to test the speed in-game), that 40s launch cue is at 12km to ATP.

The solid fuel rocket burn time is noted to be 60-75 seconds. At the above assumptions (M0.9 / 306 m/s) a 75-second burn time gives a range of 22.95km before flameout. The manual states a max range of 32km - I guess that difference is due to the remaining kinetic energy?

Anyway - i’ll need to test and confirm the numbers, but it seems that you might be able to ‘game’ that range cue a bit to increase the survival chance.

1 Like

All stated range cue’s for the Viggen are about optimal conditions to guarantee a proper deployment for the weapon. Under optimal conditions you can launch a BK90 at 15km in DCS World currently. The manual procedure talks about half that range!

The missile cruises at an altitude of 10 meters above sea level, which it maintains by the use of a radar altimeter.

From the quoted page, I wonder if this is correct in DCS, the missile appears to maintain barometric altitude, ergo if you release it over a slightly sloping land it will happily flow straight into it!

I also attempted to sink a oil rig with this missile, alas it aptly ignored the existence of that sort of structure.

1 Like

A while back, I took a day and set up a simple mission to test how to best damage/destroy an oil platform…sort of my own little Operation Praying Mantis.

I tried all kinds of aircraft and missiles. For the Viggen I found the RB 05A was quite effective. The best was the MiG-21 KH-66 GHROM

2 Likes

Those are 2 similar weapons! I was considering a second sortie with BK90 MJ2.

1 Like

Woohoo I get a GOTHQ badge yaay :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wait…what? Is there one? I want one? Wheres mine? Lol

Never mind… I got one too! Cool!!

4 Likes

Whoo me too! Badge buddies!

3 Likes

Me too, tho I hardly earned it with the viggen. Did learn to hip it up somewhat with you guys.

5 Likes

You DEFINITELY earned it in the Yak

3 Likes

It is, admittedly, arbitrarily given at this point. I wanted to do something to reward people for taking part. I am going to try to tie it to some forum rules, if I can get a chance to do that :slight_smile:

Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.

8 Likes

Can we turn it into a title? Like the “regular” “respected” “resident snark delivery person” lol

5 Likes

No doubt, schurem crashed both Victor’s and my Yak pretty good.

@TheAlmightySnark looks like it has radar altimeter - latest patch note:

2 Likes

That’s just perfect! I was considering raising this issue on the forums, though it’s not an issue as much as it is a slight inaccuracy.

Wait, someone is supposed to wheelbarrow me around? Let me fetch my fine roomcoat and wheel me to the rustic post office, you trusty deliverer of Snark!

5 Likes

I was referring to @Hangar200 but I think I actually prefer your interpretation more :rofl:

I really need to get off Mudspike today. This is i think the 2nd or possibly third thread I’ve completely derailed almost singlehandedly…sorry everyone

2 Likes

Go on, derail a few more, I dare you. the modelling thread, sic 'em boy!

Anyway, back on the rails you go, you rusty ol’ thing. [Mighty heave]

I hope today’s patch fixed DCS enough for me to no longer get a headache from flying it. And I can get on towards becoming tactical in a viggen. Shooting down a bunch of Il-76s with a gunpod does not count really.

2 Likes

I think that was the third one I derailed already…I was pretty close to putting a picture of a long ladder with a lego man on top but I calmed myself and thought of others :partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes

Here:

You deserve it. The mudspike tankerbar of honor.

2 Likes