Hands-on with Quest 3 headset shows Meta's going all in on mixed reality

Looks like the FOV is a bit better too. 8GB RAM as well. It was interesting not to see any launch titles, just the statement that future Quest 3 releases would also work on Quest 2 devices going forward, so not much change software wise. It’ll look better on the Q3 but no marquee release to show it off.

VR being a console is how it survives as a mass market consumer product and it’s between Meta and Bytedance for market share now.

2 Likes

Yeah, sure, but I’m thinking cockpit button controlling hands, able to hit the buttons on a MFD in DCS… Something that would finally allow us to fully interact with the cockpits in DCS, without using a controller.
One can dream, right…? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a little chuckle earlier when I decided to use my Quest 2 for a short stint in Elite - I got the message that I needed to update my Oculus device! Not Meta… :thinking:

Maybe they are thinking of going back once everyone has bought a Quest 3 and made a Meta account! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl:

Ouch! This is whut’ happened to me when I brought the “top of the line” Rift S, only to see it pretty much become abandoned/forgotten/unsupported as soon as the Quest arrived.

I hope the people who shelled out 1K smackeroos for the Meta Quest fare better.

The quest pro is starting to go sub $500 on eBay…easly the cheapest way to get face and eye tracking in one package.

Ha! Always the way with tech. You win some and you lose some. I received my Pro on 11/3/22, so it will be just over 11 months enjoying a superior VR experience when the 3 arrives. I guess those Quest 2 owners who’ve had it for a couple of years or more are the big winners.

I’ve been completely out of the loop the last couple of years on VR advancements. I’m a holder of the HP Reverb Gen 2 and I’ve had a great experience with it (the G1 I had some issues with). Is there a video that compares the Quest 3 features to the Reverb G2? I guess I’m still confused…you can hook it up to your PC via a hardwire cable correct…? Also…I understand it uses a battery…or needs to be recharged…so are sessions beyond 2 or 3 hours not possible when it is wired to the PC? Also…this headset does stand-alone stuff right - like I could put VTOL VR on it and just take it with me on the road - but does it hook up to Steam via WiFi then?

Thanks…I’m sure they are basic questions…just not sure if this should be on my radar or not. I’m not in a hurry to adopt anything.

1 Like

Quest headsets can be used both standalone and with a PC.
If used with a PC you need a link cable (USB-C cable) or a fast wifi connection
using airlink (official and free technology from metà) or virtual desktop (paid app).
About the battery, when the headset will be in use, and connected to the PC it will slowly discharge (there are motherboards or usb cards a ble to provide the power to recharge it while using…not mine) but it won’t be a problem for quite long sessions (3+ hours).
About VTOL VR , it is a PC only game, so to use with the quest you need the mentioned technologies.
Theoretically with virtual desktop you can use it via internet (your PC at home, or a cloud PC) but I never experienced it, and I don’t think the latency will be good.
Btw I use a quest pro with a 20 euros USB → usb-C cable. Sometimes I play it wirelessly, but with DCS, bms or other sims I prefer it with the cable

4 Likes

The weird part is, I’ve rode Oculus CV since launch, w/ mods.

There’s lens and screen mods for it on forums that increase the pixel density significantly.

1 Like

Thanks for asking all the questions I’ve been too busy to research! I have no idea if it will work for me out of the box or what I’m going to need to set it up for simming.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanations. Bummer that something like VTOL VR couldn’t be run wirelessly on the road.

I’m on the fence with this…might wait to see if something more in-line with what I’m looking for come to the market. Maybe. I dunno. Kind of indecisive right now.

No problem…
I am pretty happy with my Quest Pro…it has a good resolution, great pancake lenses and it is possible to use dynamic eye tracking both in DCS and FS2020.
In the meta store there are a couple of fun flight games you can use both directly on the headset and with PCVR. Not bad, but not too fancy also.
Unfortunately VTOL VR developer seems not interested in bringing it to mobile VR.
I suggest you to hop on the Virtual Desktop’s Discord and discuss there about remote streaming (meaning from the internet with your PC at home)

1 Like

my issue w/ Quest and II was the HVEC Compression.

I’d rather have a direct uncompressed feed to the headset, which is why I stuck with CV and modded the screens and lenses.

Beach, you are in for a treat if your Reverb G2 is your VR reference point. @Virus covered most of your questions, but I’d like to add two three other improvements that the Q3 will have over the G2.

• Not being a slave to WMR/SteamVR and the instability within that eco system. I’ve been back on Meta for about 18 months and haven’t had a single crash. Not one. I’ve had to restart after updates, but no unexplained glitches. No FB account needed.

• No sweet spot in the Quest Pro (same lens as Q3). I’m not sure if it’s the pancake lenses, but whatever secret sauce Meta is using to eliminate having to turn your head to look at objects that are off-center of the lens feels very natural. I believe that the Pico 4 and incoming Pico 5 use pancake lenses as well.

• The very usable virtual Windows desktop. My normal sim flow is to boot my Quest Pro, enable Quest link (2 clicks), and launch (1 click) the Desktop from the PC link home screen. The resulting screen is so much clear and usable compared to the one in the WMR launch house. Everything that I used to do before going putting on the VR headset, I now do on the virtual Windows desktop. Like switching primary sound output device, using Discord, starting SkateZilla’s utility, launching VAICOM, watching YouTube tutorial videos, or reading PDFs. I don’t take my VR headset off until bedtime.

5 Likes
1 Like

I’m super happy with my Reverb G2 and its resolution, WMR got better about 17 months ago and has been no trouble since… :wink:

I do plan to pick up a Quest 3 out of curiosity though, as it’s (a) excellent value for what it does and (b) stand-alone console VR stuff is fun too :gorilla:. I’m still super curious about the Bigscreen Beyond and its light size but don’t want the v1.0, so will wait. The Aero price change is also tempting, but would (like the BSB) mean tracker units around my office etc.

I’ll be interested in how @chipwich feels about the Q3 vs the Pro, and only a few more sleeps until we hear something I think.

2 Likes

Hmm

Test: Oculus Link vs. Air Link vs. Virtual Desktop | by Cat Noir VR | AR/VR Journey: Augmented & Virtual Reality Magazine (arvrjourney.com)

As it compresses the video signal from a PC as a data stream rather than have a DisplayPort/HDMI connection, it looks like the choices are then the USB cable (Oculus Link, which can also charge the unit when on otherwise it’s battery), the Wifi6 (Air Link) or the paid app Virtual Desktop, which I guess can use the cable or wifi, but lets you set things like sharpening, resolution and bandwidth on the fly?

I wonder what people use for things like MSFS?

I haven’t tried Remote Desktop. And honestly I am still a little vague one what it does. But I have tried WIFI and the results were poor. I even bought a wireless bridge hoping that would nudge it into usability. If WIFI was the only way to play, I’d probably figure out what my issue is. But the cable works fine. All the PC gaming I do is seated, anyway.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I’ll do the cable as well, although do have a fancy router so will try that first.

For me, wireless (oculus link) became unstable quite some time ago. I was unable to run the graphics at their highest speed wirelessly (most especially in MSFS) and had intermittent stutters and dropouts.

Trying the virtual desktop app was pretty much a revelation. Settings enabled steadier and higher bandwidth, video compression was better and so picture quality was better…

Honestly I found the Virtual desktop to be equivalent if not better than a wired connection in most instances.

Recently, I assume due to a silent software update, the built-in oculus wireless seems to be working again, but it’s still a lower visual clarity than virtual desktop which adjusts itself on the fly to keep the best available quality.

I also like the fact that once you get used to it, Virtual desktop so easily/simply runs both oculus and steam games via a single simple Ui.

4 Likes

Now I’ve done over 3 minutes of extensive research :slight_smile: it seems like I actually already own the Wired Version of Virtual Desktop, which was sort of a SteamVR stack thing and was quite nice. SteamVR being an alias for ‘slow down VR by 5ms’ I haven’t really used it a lot.

There’s also the newer ‘Wireless Version’ in the Oculus store that I guess connects to a streamer app on the PC like you are using it @HiFlyer. I remember that the guy behind VD (not a great shortname on reflection) is Guy Godin, who was always a bit of a VR genius, so for 20 pesos I might give it a go as well, just because I sort of embrace the fiddling aspect. It looks like VD does do OpenXR, as does both Oculus Link and Air Link, which is good. Lots of options around bandwidth, resolution, stack to use etc.

2 Likes