Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, and the bus is interrupted at a very last resort,
and the access of the memory makes your floppy disk abort, then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash, and the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash,
and your data is corrupted cause the index doesn’t hash, then your situation’s hopeless and your system’s gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house, says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
but your packets want to tunnel to another protocol, that’s repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall…

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss, so your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse;
then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang, 'cuz sure as I’m a poet, the sucker’s gonna hang.

When the copy on your floppy’s getting sloppy in the disk, and the macro code instructions cause unwanted risk,
then you’ll have to flash the BIOS and you’ll want to RAM your ROM, just quickly turn the darn thing off and run to tell your Mom!

8 Likes

That is excellent. Thanks for that :grin:

2.5.4 next week according to the news…

1 Like

You are a poet and didn’t even know it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think Heatblur’s experience here is a great reason why doing a simulation of a popular aircraft can be a double edged sword: you get lots of attention, but demands exponentially rise with it.

On other, darker corners of the 'net, Heatblur is the current whipping boy of the DCS world.

1 Like

I really hate this entitled attitude.

Its in everywhere and everything now. They aren’t even in the release window they gave everyone yet and they are still copping this much abuse.

The attitude of the consumer makes it quite clear why shoddy unfinished products are released early these days. If you don’t release the company gets burnt down with bad press and reviews. If you release late the company get burnt down with bad press and reviews.

Honestly I’m very very excited about the tomcat. It’s my favourite fighter aircraft of all time. However having to wait up to another year to play with It is going to make ZERO actual difference to the enjoyment of the product. Why is that so difficult to understand for people?

I think If I was heatblur I would be sorely tempted to say ‘it comes out when it comes out. If you don’t want to wait go and buy that other full fidelity dcs tomcat simulation that’s in the pipeline… Oh sorry we are the only ship in the dock’ watch them whinge and moan and then buy it anyway. They’d probably still pre order as well lol

5 Likes

Quote from “IronMike” on the ED Forums,

…but I can tell you that it is frequently flown on a 760, old CPU, 16GB RAM and on PG, and while with an old rig like that you might have to set your settings to medium, even now, in its not yet completely optimized state, this setup yields consistently between 45 and 60 FPS, depending on mission heaviness.

I feel your pain though. My computer is only a hair above the min specs for DCS these days, and I cringe every time they update the PG or release a new module, as it usually means i have to throttle things back even more to maintain executable frames. :cry:

1 Like

This happens all the time…
I just can’t believe people really get sad, angry or even annoyed by release date slips of entertainment software. If they do, they should re-prioritize their lives.
I feel the pre-release exitement too. I want the software too. But if I can’t get it, I can’t get it. I go do something else. And it’s not like I ‘played through’ DCS… I have enough to keep me occupied for years, even if there were no new releases.

I can accept a ‘Durn, it’s delayed’ comment. But anyone on a anti developer rant, because of something as trivial as a slip of a releasedate, especially one that haven’t even been announced, will be moderated :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I would hate to see that grief slip onto this forum.
I’ll be honest I have made no secret of the fact I haven’t pre ordered. I’ve explained that I am not personally a fan of that business model but I will guarantee I will be a day 1 purchaser.

Now I don’t have any problem with people pre-ordering either. Each to their own. If it helps you get hyped for the product or makes you feel like you secured it on day one then fair play to you. You are welcome to that experience.
But by opening your wallet early you are not immediately entitled to a say in the running of the company. You merely gain the right to have the product at the earliest point after release.
If you pay for early boarding on an aeroplane flight across the country you have no more rights than a normal passenger if the flight is running late. You can’t get on a plane that isn’t there…
I’m still finding my feet in fc3 and PG. the release date being a while away is perversely useful for me to play with my other planes and read up a bit on the operations manuals and other literature on the f14.

I may be on my own here but I’m loving having something special to look forward to! If my favourite fighter comes out tommorow what comes next? It’s all downhill after tomcats release for me. Wouldn’t kick the tankers out of bed but they aren’t quite the same are they…

4 Likes

Agreed. FWIW I pre-ordered based on what I saw in the videos posted the past few months. If there hadn’t been such a strong showing, I’d have fallen back to a “wait and see” approach myself.

It would be one thing if Heatblur had a history of developing vaporware, but that’s simply not the case. They’re a proven developer on the platform. They’ve been incredibly open and transparent, and have set reasonable expectations which, as of this writing, they still seem to be in a position to deliver on.

That said, one minor item in their update that is a bit concerning; they apparently have development of an AI A-6 on the punch list? I feel like that should be more on ED to flesh out, as otherwise mission builders will potentially only be able to use if with folks who own the Tomcat. Alternatively, given EDs commitment to an immersive Naval Aviation experience, they’re hopefully developing one anyway. That means that the efforts of HB are redundant, and from the looks of the update, there are other areas of ambition that would likely be better places to put their time/resources. .

2 Likes

I don’t think it will. I think most of us are the “it will be finished when it is finished” types. If the doctor told me had two weeks to live, maybe then I’d start getting antsy, but failing that, not so much. :slightly_smiling_face:

…true enough…however, I was told that if the plane crashes, you will be rescued first. :scream:

3 Likes

With all this negativity, who can I moan to about the lack of this… :wink:

4 Likes

The RAAF lol

3 Likes

Let’s see…who could?…I’m thinking Username begins with “B” and ends with “x”…rhymes with…actually it doesn’t rhythm with anything…Snow-Bus-Lead-Socks?…no, that just doesn’t make any sense at all. :wink:

4 Likes

Boredwithroblox?

4 Likes

Close…

I mean, Heatblur is giving you two after-burning turbo fans, swing wings, two seats…and even tossing in an extra vertical stab! And yet it still isn’t enough for you, is it?

:smiley:

5 Likes

But you can’t hunt for truffles lol

1 Like
3 Likes

Heatblur wants to do it, now they DO IT!

J/K- :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:smiley:

11 Likes