Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

Be sure!

a-chance

3 Likes

Which also happens to perfectly align with the timeline for the Dynamic Campaign and Full World Map :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

And so it beginsā€¦

7 Likes

Not bad.

p9ZLmzA

Also, we really, REALLY need animated ABHā€™s on the flight deck. A former roommate taught me all the hand signals to prep a Tomcat for launch once upon a time, and Iā€™d love to see that dance as Iā€™m getting ready to get shot off the pointy end.

1 Like

That would be something, and would defiantly add to at least the single player experience. Although to start Iā€™d just be happy with a yellow shirt up by the cat to help line me up with the shuttle and an animated shooter.

Wow! Pilot work-load is definitely a thing with this jet. All them analogue dials and switches just beg a home-built cockpit. I so want one. Even just a little one I could put on my desk and fiddle with while working.

I just loved the Jester cheesiness factor. All sorts of video game nostalgia merged with hyper realism. I wonder if any Jester functions will be script-able in the ME.

Something is seriously wrong with me. Watching him interact with all those worn dials and switches just sent a warm, comforting feeling through me, like sitting next to a cozy fire with a cup of coffee while a storm rages outside. Life is beautiful, and so appears to be DCS Tomcat.

2 Likes

Awesome aircraft. :sunglasses:

Wheels

Posting this for @Troll ā€¦

2 Likes

All that switchology makes me think:

I am really looking forward to seeing these two things:

• Pilot+RIO teams working well with each other, showing the full potential of the Tomcat
  • people who think it is just flat ā€œTomcat is better than Hornetā€ learning that the (computerized, easy to fly and fight in, quick startup) Hornet has a lot of strengths even though on paper it is inferior in many aspects.

I like a lot that Jester doesnā€™t seem to be terribly quick. One of my main fears concerning Jester AI was (and partly still is) that he might be too good, so everyone will just fly solo (with a little bit of automation, like Voice Attack to give commands quickly, for example). A medium level human RIO should be better in almost any regard. At least I hope so.

2 Likes

I hope they give him the same skill settings (average, good, excellent etc.) as AI pilots currently have. So he will not be to overpowering in multiplayer but people in SP are not hampered by a RIO that wonders what this button will do and then proceeds to jetisson all the phoenixes.

4 Likes

The F-14 as an airframe does not really catch my attention, I was born in the 90ā€™s and my first up-close experience with a fighter jet was with a CF-18 Hornet at the 2003 Trenton airshow (I was 9 at the time). Once I began to delve into the world of modern Fighters, the F-15 and 16 caught more of my attention.

The older tech in the cockpit isnā€™t a selling point to me, but watching the video AndyE posted I appreciate what the designers did with the available technology. The rotary dials and square knobs are pretty damn cool!
The lack of information on the HUD would take some getting used to, increasing workload as Anklebiter mentioned. I have flown alot of WWII sims, so instruments I can work with - I just prefer my fancy MFDā€™s!

The quality Heatblur has put into the Tomcat has really caught my eye and the idea of two-seat multiplayer Iā€™m really looking forward to! Iā€™m talking a friend into starting with DCS, so maybe we can learn the Tomcat together.

A Strike Eagle or SuperHornet would be more my thing - but the Iā€™m finding it much harder to not to pull the trigger on the F-14 the more I see of it.

You have come to the wrong place if you want us to talk you out of it Wes :wink: .

7 Likes

Hahaha! I wouldnā€™t have joined the conversation if I wanted to be talked out of it.

I was hoping to find some points to help talk some other people into it.

:+1:

3 Likes

Honestly Iā€™m just glad Iā€™m not too excited over thisā€¦

hyperventilating-gif-8

3 Likes

Welcome to mudspike. You have found your people.

6 Likes

I think weā€™ll struggle with that too.

I mean, itā€™s the Tomcat. Itā€™s aviation royalty, flaws and all.

One simply does not say ā€œnoā€.

2 Likes

AFAIK Leatherneck were neck-deep into building and scripting deck crew when wags told 'em ED were doing that too so they stopped work on those. No need to double that work up. So weā€™ll all be getting deck crew in the near future.