Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

From Heatblur FB with this quote…" _This will make your knees shake" _

11 Likes

Were NVGs used in the Tomcat?

I like to think that every time someone asks a question in this thread, a pager goes off at @near_blind’s house and he is forced to wake up, go consult his reference material, and post an answer regardless of the time of night.

11 Likes

A few years ago in the UK (maybe other places too) the was a text service that worked like Google.
You text it a question and you would receive an answer back via text in around a minute.
It was real people answering the questions for a fee paid per question by the service itself. (sounds rediculous now with google and the net) I forget what it was called.
There has to be a funny acronym for a @near_blind run tomcat and navy question service of a similar nature… Gimme time. I’ll find it.

General Information About Naval Topics and Tomcat Information Text Services.

9 Likes

Har har haar! :laughing:

8 Likes

Yes.

I can’t remember an introduction date off the top of my head, but I recall them being widespread by the mid 90. I’m not sure the extent to which the lighting system was revised, if at all. I also seem to remember (can’t remember where I read it, take it with a grain of salt) that the forward pane of the canopy was too thick and caused distortion issues with NVGs. They retrofitted it with a thinner pane, but at higher speeds it began to distort due to heating/pressure, which while safe caused issues with how the HUD image appeared to the pilot. This, along with greater commonality with the F-14D was one of the reasons the Sparrowhawk HUD was adopted.

7 Likes

golf claps

If my plane, which is capable of casually flying over twice the speed of sound, has it’s forward window warping, the engineers and I will have a disagreement over what’s considered “safe”…

You’re flying a jet designed to go Mach 2.4, fight hordes of other aircraft trying to kill it, and then land via crashing into the back of a boat. “Safety” is a relative term here. Also

capable of casually flying over twice the speed of sound

Is an oxymoron. Nothing casual happens above Mach 1.5

5 Likes

You forgot to mention the TF-30s!

If you’re uncomfortable with material deflecting / changing shape under load as a normal part of operation, I’d stick away from aircraft altogether. :wink:

4 Likes

Anyone who’s experienced drinks service on Concorde would beg to differ…

:wink:

5 Likes

I know of about three separate AI start-ups that have raised a lot of VC money and spent it on an office full of people in India manually making the answers of their systems look better than it is. It of course doesn’t scale, but it gives enough confusion to keep venture money rolling in. New words, old scams…

6 Likes

Some of us were poor and / or in middle school when they retired those.

2 Likes

I mean I’ve casually drank lemonade and eaten snacks above the Mach, I may have also used a piddle pack above the Mach. Now 1.5… eeeeh you really gotta want it in a strike eagle

11 Likes

Some of us were 11 years old at the time, but it lives with you…

9 Likes

NF-104-National-Museum-of-the-US-Air-Force-FB-page

3 Likes

Well, your drag curve goes in very casual directions. Not the good kind mind you. Unless you are drag. I mean the metaphysical concept. Though you probably wouldn’t hang out here.

4 Likes