Hollo Pointe North January WWII Fun Flight

Turbulence forced-off !?? This is not WAR THUNDER! …wait, even WT has it :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ll give it a go. By avoiding the F10 map it was very playable for me, but interested to try it with wake off as well. The kneeboard in VR is great, and actually helps with the immersion a bit, as feels quite natural to use.

I did about 50 circuits with the Spitfire on single player and I enjoyed it more than I thought. I just needed to practise my ‘rudder dance’ a bit more, plus get the eye reference of how to three wheel land, with the horizon in the cockpit. The mistake I was making before was not flying it fully down, and flaring a tad too high. I also expected the Spitfire to be just like the Dora, while the ‘dance’ is a little different on rolling out. Good fun, and I’m keen to try some of the single player campaigns I bought before, now that Normandy performs a bit better. Also keen on any PvE mission that you cook up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All I can iterate on is that it was a tremendous FPS boon when flying Jagdflieger. Give a heads up when the server is running turb off and I’ll check if it performs differently.

1 Like

How did I miss this? Actually I do know how. I am totally infatuated with Blue Flag and the repetitive game of chess that is at its core. I can’t get enough. But I am sorry that it blinded me to a chance to hang with Mudspike friends I’ve never spoken to.

2 Likes

Smoke, so far its been a number of mostly informal get-togethers that had not really been staged. I’m sure there will be more to come as well as some sort of event given the scope of the mission.

2 Likes

If this was a concert, you didn’t even miss the opening act, just the sound check!

1 Like

Just did the first mission of the Epsom Campaign for the Spitfire - worked great in VR with the kneeboard. A glorious 8 section flight over Normandy, and it all worked really well. I shelved the campaign when it first came out because (a) after a long mission crash landing sucked and (b) the Normandy UnSpeedTrees ™ were being used at the time. Now both things are solved.

One thing I sort of wish is that I didn’t have to fly lead on the mission, as would be nice to be a wingman for a good AI. One day maybe…

4 Likes

I am holding off for now. I wanted to try that campaign for Mustang. But that would happen once the updated DM is released.

1 Like

I’ll have to try it again. Last year the performance was pretty awful with VR for me, even with the lower options made available within the campaign.

I think I just needed time to learn the Spitfire again.

One thing I did notice, and not sure if historically accurate, but when the formation found its way back to home base after the mission the airfield looks like it was launching green flares up in the air. So that’s either a fireworks fetish or some sort of signal that it was good to land or not to shoot us down with flak?

Also, the voice overs and audio are very good so far. I like the detailed PDFs that come with it, making navigation a big part of the mission in a more realistic way (I avoid hitting the F10 map on the Normandy map, as it seems to cause a framerate bug when going back to the cockpit - but since the kneeboard maps feels more authentic anyway, it’s part of the fun).

3 Likes

Is anyone planning on being on tomorrow night?

1 Like

I might be on late, late tonight if I don’t go flying…but tomorrow night I definitely can’t make it because I have a 0400 (0900Z) flight already scheduled for Friday morning, so Thursday night will be an early retirement for me…

2 Likes

Can try to, at the usual 2020-01-24T02:30:00Z for me, post dinner.

2 Likes

I’ll have to practice my I-16 take-offs in anticipation.

1 Like

I may have to dig out Chucks Guide. I have 0 hours (0 minutes, even) in the I-16.

It’s been a great return to flight simming for me, night 1 a set of rudder pedals wouldn’t power on and then last night’s attempt found a non-functioning axis or two on my HOTAS. The last one does explain my issues taking off though…

1 Like

One of the sim pilot’s most grievous errors:

• Failing to do pre-flight checks
  • Failing to do a control surfaces check

I once began rolling a heavily loaded A-10C when to my horror I found my computer forgot my stick existed. Luckily, I just had to unplug and replug the USB cable… :sweat_smile: …and get a new plane.

5 Likes

I managed to turn on TrackIR both times before I started DCS, that has to count for something right?

3 Likes

At least you didn’t do a ’ @komemiute drop’. This is a highly advanced manoeuvre where you test if your munitions are armed and ready to drop. You’d think you could only do this once but you’d be wrong… :joy: :joy: :boom: :boom:

7 Likes

Try that in CFS3 on the runway…it didn’t model nose fuzes. Bomb + Ground = Boom!

2 Likes