HP Reverb G2

Damn! I think I got this problem. Its not on. Says the USB 3.0 is not on jada jada jada… Im so pi$$ed. I have not touched it much in a month. Now I want to play and NOTHING. G2 is a POS.

PC gaming is inherently frustrating in that there are so many combinations of hardware and software that can cause issues…
I recently encountered an issue where the WMR portal didn’t want to load. It also hindered windows update to do its job. Uninstalled WMR, did the Windows update and reinstalled WMR again. I also get a ”headset not connected” every once in a while. Have always been able to fix it by reseating the USB connector.

1 Like

Troll,
Thank You for your kind words. Sorry about my childish fit y’all. Yes, we put up with a lot compared to the console crowd. I had the headset not connected thing once in a while. I fixed it the same way. Unplug the cable at the headset and reseat. This however has quit fixing it. I am stuck. I tried reloading the video drivers in case… I will try reloading WMR today.
I am so stocked about the resurfacing of the 104 (i know its an F-15) and the new F-105. I just hope to get some seat time soon.

3 Likes

@Troll, I always get this when switching my Oculus Quest 2 on. I don’t like the idea of reseating my Link cable every time I use VR so I have a device manager icon on my desktop and I just disable/enable the unrecognized USB port. Works like a charm.

2 Likes

Clever!

I do the mechanical version of @Elby ’s solution. My G2 is plugged into a USB 3 hub with switched ports. I press the button to use my HMD and press it again when finished. Not as elegant, but works so well I’m kicking myself for not doing this on previous 3 headsets.

3 Likes

I’m all about switchable ports on quality USB hubs but I wanted to get my ONE, and only one USB C 3.2 Gen 2 port on “Mother” working to my advantage …

eub

I think 5 Gbps (!) is max on these ports but holy cow … 2.3 billion bits per second!!! I can’t even imagine that.

I quite like my Oculus (boo Facebook … yuk) Quest 2 but unfortunately it looks like a LEGO headset for a five year old now LOL …

Rear strap broke tonight just picking it up. Not cool Hewlett Packard, not cool… :frowning:

Good grief, what a crappy material. Duck tape :duck: is going to have to complete my high-tech VR build…

3 Likes

If you saw what I’ve done to my Odyssey+, just to make it wearable; Velcro, tape…ugly.

At MSAA2/4 it still looks quite good through the lenses though (or I’d have taken it out back and shot it a long time ago).

1 Like

A crack forming from one of those slots in the material? The cable clamp goes on there? Maybe the G1 dinosaur tail cable caused a bending moment that caused a stress crack?

1 Like

Like Aerosmith, I’m Back On the Saddle Again! I gave up on the HP. It sits dejected on the dining room table awaiting storage. The Odyssey came out of mothballs to save the day. No change of software, no long process, just plugged and played. I had to turn down the settings a bit and it does not look as nice as the HP but it works! I am happy for now.
So I have resolution per eye set to 100% and DCS Video set to 150%. Is this correct?
My performance is ok for now but more would be better.
If HP does not support the products it produces, I know where I will not be spending my money.

150% In SteamVR or PD 1.5 in DCS?

If SteamVR, you might want to turn that down a bit to 140% or even 130%.

(SteamVR percentage / 100)^2 is equivalent to Pixel Density in DCS. I would leave one of them at 100% and put the other where necessary.

Also, a sad welcome back to the Odyssey club. Let’s hope we get a similar res VR HMD as the G2 from a manufacturer whose QA is better

That’s what I have for the O+ for the setup here:
nVidia 1080, 8GB VRAM
i7 6700K 4.5Mhz
32 GB RAM

I’ve learned to live with it. On this subject…

The O+ has a lot of flight miles on it now and I’m looking at the G2. Anybody know if they’ve upgraded the bits that initially caused troubles, like the cable/connection? Or any others?.

Based on reports I’d assume a little preemptive work would help, specifically cable-tie the cord when I take it out of the box.

Thanks ahead of time.

1 Like

I think, based on an informal sample of people I’ve seen posting here…that the quality of the HP products is pretty spotty. I think maybe the majority of Mudspike users have had an issue or two or three. My first G1 headset bricked, my replacement G1 has been perfect, and my G2 has been perfect. BUT…I think I’m a relatively “lite” headset user. On the days I use it, I might only average 90 minutes in it. I’d imagine there are people using it for 5-8 hours a day maybe. So my wear and tear is pretty minimal.

I think the weakest part of the G2 is the cable according to my non-scientific observations. Particularly the attachment to the headset up under the visor…I can’t imagine it is rated for much stress. That is why I’ve zip-tied mine to the back of the headset in a little loop that takes any tension. @fearlessfrog also had a fracture failure of the plastic halo…so that part might be a bit questionable as well.

I do love the picture quality of the G2. I haven’t gone back to my O+ in a long time, but I’d be curious now how I would feel about it. The O+ seemed like a solid build though. But that G2 picture sharpness is so nice. And, as I mentioned, I’ve had no problems with mine so far.

I think it is really pot-luck on whether you get a good one or not. I’d definitely recommend buying it from a place that offers returns. And I don’t know how available they are…seems like everything is out of stock these days.

If you get one that works though…you will absolutely love it.

2 Likes

The leads inside the G2 cable are incredibly thin. They will suffer breakage at the slightest maltreatment. Caveat emptor until HP starts selling those cable sets separately.

Ugh. Would the zip-tie (heck, I’m not afraid of Duck’ Tape) or something like that help do you think? The O+, after about 3 years, is starting to show signs it’s done for.

Yeah, I’m probably, on an average week, getting about 90 minutes ever other day. A lot to do with the comfort - lack of it - of the O+ I’m sure.

1 Like

Yes, just under the clip. I zip tie the cable join bracket across the circle at the back, so the clip it broke under shouldn’t have any weight on it. I just think the clip grip must have stressed it out to crack, like you said. Tape fixes it fine and I was never going to resell it anyway, but still an ‘oh no’ moment I could do without.

1 Like

I can vouch for Gorilla duct tape…that stuff is awesome. I carry a small roll of it on my bicycle kit because it can pretty much fix anything (at least temporarily - but for the headset it might be a semi-permanent fix)… The mini-roll is really convenient (it isn’t as wide as the full width duct tape)…

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got it taped up and it feels ok. Used silver duct tape, for extra hobo ambience.

Not sure what would be a better fix, maybe a bridge piece glued over the top of the crack etc? @Troll, do you have any suggestions for this?

For others I would say, shift around your cable clips (the ones that come with the Reverb) as obviously if they stay in-place or too tight for too long then it’ll weaken the strap.

1 Like

This is the HP part number for the tragically underengineered cable. Turns out there are multiple places you can order them from. Not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as getting a new HMD.

22J68AA

4 Likes