HP Reverb G2

Whoa. Weird. This just happened to me, last night (quick test flight of a script). Was ‘under the hood’ (VR) and as I was loading in I heard what sounded likes Windows’ ‘bong’ - and my throttle didn’t work. Didn’t find out until I tried to pull away from the chocks. No message boxes popped up or any indication of what the source of the ‘bong’ sound was.

But it works today. Curious. I did go back through Virpils intuitive? software gizmo and re-downloaded. Just seemed like a good thing to do. Crossing my fingers.

The pantheon of the USB Gods is a mighty but cruel set of masters. B550 and X570’s seem to have particularly caused their ire this time around. While I wouldn’t normally say to bother, if you are on a relatively new AMD chipset motherboard then it could be worth a BIOS update.

It’s neutrinos/cosmic rays I tell ya.

I did see a message box. It was not up long enough to read. If you were not looking at the point where it appeared no chance of seeing it. It was something about the stick. I was flying with four others. Lost com’s and the ability to fly

Just the Virpil stick, or all controllers?
If all, did you click the mouse outside the DCS window? That will put DCS ‘out of focus’ and none of the controls will respond.

1 Like

Just the stick. Everything else worked

Did it work after a restart?
I had problems with a throttle suddenly stopped working on a certain port on the USB hub. Worked great when plugged in to another port.

I held off trying because I will be doing a rewire of my cables. A box has arrived. Off to the balcony to do some re cabling the Reverb

1 Like

Yes and no.
After multiple restarts, fitting the new cable for Reverb G2 (unrelated?) and reinstalling Virpil software I have a working stick.

However. My collective has become invisible instead. Grrrr

1 Like

whackamole1

3 Likes

Gotta love computers…

1 Like

Sounds like a usb power problem. Have you tried putting the HOTAS in a PCIe extension card?

1 Like

Hes on a laptop, I’m not sure if a powered hub might be of assistance here

I also wonder if the usb3 on the laptop doesn’t like the virpil stuff (is that still a thing?)

Powered hub of a good quality is definitely needed here.

What is one of those? I have all the controls plugged into a powered usb hub

1 Like

Does your machine have multiple ports on board? If so, try the hotas in a different one. Or perhaps the hotas on the hub in one port, the G2 in another port, not on the hub. Your problems sound like an overworked usb poet to me, wether its power or bandwidth.

2 Likes

This brought be a great chuckle after I tried to figure out whether poet was a euro word for driver or something. :joy:

2 Likes

Naw, you know how the inputs from the different peripherals attached through the USB connections need translating and interpreting? Takes a poet to do that right.

3 Likes

LOL!

1 Like

I figured I had better jump on getting a new cable while my warranty was still in effect. I had 3 days left. :rofl:

I have been having some connectivity issues, so I probably should have done this earlier.

Edit>. I should add that I was one of the many who jumped on the pre-order for the headset as soon as it was available, so I have one of the earlier batches to be sent out (within the US anyway), so if you were also in this group and you haven’t requested a new cable, do so in the next couple of days or you will end up paying $90 for a new one after that.

2 Likes