HP Reverb G2

I’ve decided to release my HP Reverb G2 review more than a year after release and here it is …

Pros …

Good visual quality

Cons …

Bad hand tracking
Bad build quality

Thanks for reading :smiley:

4 Likes

I have to give HP two thumbs up for customer service… I contacted them on Sunday to ask for the new cable… and it arrived today (Tuesday). :+1:

4 Likes

Yes … very true. I got my new cable from an online support chat!

Forgot one more Pro …

BEST audio I’ve heard on a VR headset. Those little G2 speakers ROCK!

2 Likes

If they play driving or flight sims a lot then the Reverb. If they just play games then a Quest 2. If they play games and dislike Facebook then a Valve Index. If they have lots of money then a Varjo Aero. :slight_smile:

The ‘what is the best VR’ is getting similar to ‘what is the best car to buy?’ question. :oncoming_automobile:

6 Likes

You should see a nice clarity jump for sure. I didn’t know they did the headset without controllers for the Reverb 2, but if you HOTAS etc all the time then it’ll be fine. You can use keyboard shortcuts / mouse in VR with WMR just fine.

3 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

@troll is getting one, as our designated Guinea Pig :hamster:

6 Likes

Have been flying MSFS for several hours in VR last evening and it was an absolute blast. The system behaved itself well, which is added bonus!

From Reno to several landing challenges. All great fun and super immersive.
I love how sharp my G2 is and I can pump up the detail in MSFS to almost monitor settings.
The 3080ti made a lot of difference!

4 Likes

Excellent news! Always a sweet moment to unbox a new piece of kit! Enjoy!

2 Likes

You have a keen eye!
Fearless linked some benchmarks in the MSFS Releases thread that confirm that observation:

If I understood correctly, DX12 support in the current MSFS implementation is an early development version and we can expect it to get better compared to the DX11 mode in the future

3 Likes

DX12 gives a lot worse performance for me as well. DX11 is the way to go for now.
I’ve felt like a beta tester for much too long already so I’ll gladly save me the frustration and patiently wait for the day people start proclaiming DX12 MSFS is ready and faster! :grinning:

2 Likes

I wonder if in VR the Custom or Fixed Views in MSFS would be handy, given your neck mobility @B12? I didn’t realize they worked in VR, but they do seem to (people are using them as a workaround for the mouse menu not appearing in VR, you hit 'Ctrl + 0 (above the Qwerty)).

This means that rather than lean in on instruments or have to look back/over too much in VR you could bind a bunch of fixed views (or custom ones that you set up, see below for a ‘how-to’) and make things more comfortable in VR? You could also bind them to joystick hats on a HOTAS as well.

4 Likes

Congratulations B12. The only way that I know to avoid the SteamVR window is to launch the sim or game and let it start SteamVR. In other words, don’t load SteamVR first. There might be a way to close it without controllers, but I haven’t figured that out yet.

3 Likes

He could mean WMR Cliff House?

@b12 you should be able to use / move around that with the mouse. Click on the ‘floor’ to move and scroll wheel to rotate. To exit just close the app after taking off the headset.

2 Likes

Just looking over the side as you fly through “scattered 5” at about angels 6 in DCS is… Something. It still brings a lump to my throat from time to time.

3 Likes

A set-up guide for WMR and the Reverb for something like DCS is here (I think it’s a tad confusing as a guide tbh, but it’s complete at least) - https://vr4dcs.com/2020/12/24/how-to-nail-reverb-setup/

Getting your IPD adjusted using the wheel on the bottom and making sure the headset is sat ok on your face will be important for clarity as well.

4 Likes

I think you just need to bind something on your HOTAS to recenter the VR view? On MSFS it’s the space bar, and on DCS I think it is the Numpad 5 - for both of those I’ve rebound them onto a switch on my HOTAS, so apologies if that’s not the defaults.

VR is terribly fiddly still, we get used to it, but there is nothing smooth about any of it I’m afraid.

EDIT:

In DCS it’s in the UI Layer section of the Controls, and it is called ‘recenter VR Headset’.

In MSFS, in the controls you can search for ‘VR - Camera Reset’ or press ‘Escape’ for the Options / General / VR section and press it from there.

IL-2 Box - key mapping is in Settings > Key Mapping > Pilot head control tab > Default VR view

5 Likes

@B12, I don’t feel good about you getting into VR given your neck mobility bro! :grimacing:

I had to say it … I’m concerned because most VR stuff has you flailing your head around like there’s no tomorrow!

Be careful and I’m really interested in how you get on with it …

1 Like

I think @fearlessfrog covered this but, as I just ran FS2020 again (after not touching it for a long time - forgotten the key-binds), the thing to recenter VR was the 2nd input command I looked for. It was “SPACEBAR” for me, but if I recall it wasn’t named as I expected…lemme go look here…

Ok seems it’s called “VR - Camera Reset”. Under “CAMERA”.

1 Like

Nice sales price of $399 USD. If you bought within 30 days of this sale, HP is usually good with price adjusting and giving you the difference back.