HP Reverb G2

That’s awful, sorry to hear!

I’ve been thinking about picking up another G2 while they’re still available, just in case. Wish I’d done so during the big sale last year.

1 Like

I know, and I don’t even have TrackIR. Have to get more VR somehow :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Tried all USB ports both C and A (or is it B). It seems that there’s no signs of life. Even tried Linux and lsusb, but nothing. I used to get USB errors earlier in WMR, but they could be solved by either recycling HMD power or replugging the usb connector.

I have both original and V2 cable (both used to work, now neither will). So, if you are interested in the new cable, I could ship it. Unless it’s too expensive across the pond

The really sad thing is that with the discontinuation of the G2 and HP exiting the VR market, I’m not sure what better option there is for PC flight simmers. The G2 provided top-notch clarity and decent inside-out tracking at a perfect price point; what fills that gap? :slightly_frowning_face: :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Quest 2 is rock solid software and comparable image, IMHO. The headphones are the only thing that I miss about the G2.

3 Likes

I did that in late December after using the headset regularly for months. Turns out I forgot to plugin the little power brick. Just a quick reminder :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s also the connection from the cable to the headset itself. Some people might not be aware that connection is even there, until it comes loose.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Ya know, just in case :thinking:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Good points, keep them coming. Unfortunately power has been on, I can see the white led in the box (what’s it called, breaker box?). Also tried with two cables and reseating the HMD connector.

Bummer! :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Is there any way you can check the output of the cable with a multi-meter? there must be a guide somewhere on the Interwebs that shows what pins are active (+) and what the voltage should be?

But, if you have already tried two cables then the chances are that the fault is with the headset :frowning:

It is a pity that the headset is a sealed unit and you can’t take it apart easily to check and see if it is something as simple as a loose wire.

4 Likes

Oh ffs. The build quality on this thing :frowning:

My screen is flickering. It’s only in the periphery, but its annoying and there seems to be, at first google glance not much I can do about it. Tried fiddling with settings, but nothing makes a jot of difference. Hardware issue it seems. One glimmer of hope, some people report their headsets spontaneously unf*cking themselves.

So the Pico4 is good eh?

2 Likes

I’d recommend it. Not the comfiest, but can be made so.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your display issue :frowning:

We’ve had it in the home for a bit but we sent it back as it turned out that even with the Pico 4, my girlfriend does not like VR enough.

Compared to the Reverb G2, in my experience: it is much more comfortable and has better clarity. At least as fiddly with software as WMR though (there’s at least 2 layers on top of SteamVR that the image passes through: Virtual Desktop and Pico software) and stream quality may depend on your WiFi. But it is wireless (whether you want to or not), so that feels nice.

Overall a great upgrade: better picture, better comfort, at a very reasonable price.
Also, the IPD goes down (mechanically!) all the way to 58 mm, making it much more suited to smaller heads than the Reverb G2. Which might be an advantage in your household too

2 Likes

I came home Friday night and was ready to fly. Soon as i ran VR my G2 started making a loud crakling, weird noise coming from the right headphone. I was crushed. But ive had a long time so i was kinda Meh… i just put on headphones that day.
Next day I looked up this

No contact cleaner so i used alcohol. In all i invested 10 or 15 minutes and my speakers now sound great.
Just wanted to share this.

9 Likes

I had a bad issue with my Index sound and I saw the same sort of solution posted multiple times so I tried - though it’s better it still occasionally gives me trouble - left only. I’ve had the headset 3 years as it was a warranty replacement. Doesn’t Reverb use the Index phones?

Same here! After not using the G2 for a while I picked it up a few days back and found the speaker crackling .
Thanks for the vid!

Very timely. I have just started getting the same issue, but mine is the left headphone and only when I move/adjust it.

I didn’t even think it might just be a dirty contact, I will pick up some cleaner next time I am in town.

Thanks heaps.

2 Likes

I thought is was a broken wire. Nope! I used alcohol and Q tips. Just saying… Glad this helped.
I am getting contact cleaner and keeping it on standby. I Will happen again.

1 Like

I recently upgraded from Rift S to Reverb G2 and I’m looking for advice please on how to take screenshots without ending up with the dual images.

In the Rift it output a single image to the PC monitor while in VR and hitting the screenshot key would give me a usable shot. But I can’t wotk out how to get the same in the G2. Monitor displays bino images and screenshots end up with that same double image.

Searching doesn’t seem to help, as all the advice seems gto be about using the controllers to take screens, but I’m using an X56 and not using the controllers at all.

Any advice welcomed!

Are you using the OpenXR Tool Kit? If so, the screenshot function results in a pretty good image.

1 Like