IL-2 Desert Wings - Tobruk (Part 4) - Under the Hood & Final Thoughts

Originally published at: http://www.mudspike.com/il-2-desert-wings-tobruk-part-4-under-the-hood-final-thoughts/

Introduction In this episode, Chuck closes out the series with a look at the new tech that has been added to the game engine and finishes off with his thoughts on IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – Tobruk. If you missed one of the earlier sections, here is a reference list of what was covered (with…

6 Likes

Thanks for this fantastically written series. I admit that I had originally not considered buying this (it would’ve been such an easy purchase in GB with career and VR and all…) but this series has changed my view on things.

What do you or anyone else thinks of the campaigns? Is there enough to do in there to warrant a buy from a pure single-player perspective? I’m especially keen to hear about the bombers and torpedo bombers since we don’t see stuff like that simulated very often!

1 Like

Thanks for writing and sharing this @Chuck_Owl! It was a very interesting and informative read!

The campaigns are fun. Don’t expect any voiceovers or super detailed briefings, but most of the time there’s enough to do to keep things fun. I flew a few missions from the Beaufighter, Gladiator, CR42, Bf109, Hurricane, P-40, Wellington, Stuka and D.520 campaigns but I didn’t finish them so I can’t really comment on how many missions each campaign has. I know some campaigns had 6 missions, but others have more. However, the Blue Wellingtons campaign does not feature torpedo attacks IIRC.

2 Likes

Compared to a DCS module or Il-2: BoX title, Tobruk gives you a ton of campaigns.

That said, Il-2 has the randomized career and Pat’s CG, and DCS has a vibrant user community, so they are easier to get SP content for. CloD pretty much has what is has, so it requires more out of the box.

They did a great job providing that, whatever your interests are.

1 Like
© 2020 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ