IL-2 Desert Wings - Tobruk (Part 4) - Under the Hood & Final Thoughts

IL-2 Desert Wings – Tobruk (Part 4) – Under the Hood & Final Thoughts

By @Chuck_Owl - September 19, 2020

Originally published at: https://www.mudspike.com/il-2-desert-wings-tobruk-part-4-under-the-hood-final-thoughts/

Introduction

In this episode, Chuck closes out the series with a look at the new tech that has been added to the game engine and finishes off with his thoughts on IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – Tobruk.

If you missed one of the earlier sections, here is a reference list of what was covered (with links):

• Part 1 – The Desert War – An overview of the history of the North Africa Desert War covered by Tobruk;
  • Part 2 – “I Don’t Like Sand” – A review of the map, environments and units you will encounter;
  • Part 3 – The Aircraft – Which I think that you can guess, is about the aircraft that you get to fly;
  • Part 4 – Under the Hood & Final Thoughts;

Note: this article/review is not sponsored and reflects the thoughts and opinions of the author only.

PART 4 – Under the Hood

Desert Wings Tobruk is built on the aging Il-2 Cliffs of Dover engine. This means that the clunky user interface is still clunky. The shading isn’t the shiniest and the prettiest in the business. The method to spawn at airfields is still weird. Control binding is still unpleasant. The shoreline can sometimes look a bit blocky when flying at high altitudes. Internal and external shadows can be jagged at certain angles. Clouds can sometimes pop as you come within their LOD reach. There are a few bugs here and there. There are a number of legacy issues that the development team itself has little control over unless significant amounts of time and money are spent to rebuild assets from scratch and risk breaking stuff that already works. By no means is the simulator not functional, but there are areas that could use a few quality-of-life improvements.

However, while I could spend a lot of time on focusing about what Desert Wings Tobruk isn’t… I’d rather talk about what it is and what it does well. Aircraft damage, for instance, still holds up after all these years. You get all sorts of oil leaks, glycol leaks, shattered glass, torn metal sheets, engine degradation, fuel tank fires, blown up landing gears, bent propellers… If you ever fly through thick flak, you may find yourself in disbelief when looking at your plane once you land. If intercepting bombers, a surgical approach will always work better than blasting in the aircraft’s rough area. I like the fact that smaller caliber ammunition will not necessarily snap a wing in half but will more often cripple aircraft components that will eventually kill an engine in a matter of minutes. For all these cinematic one-pass-kills, cannons are more than sufficient for the job. Machinegun belts can be customized, which allows you to carry either more armor-piercing, incendiary, tracer or plain regular rounds.

The new fire and smoke effects are quite a spectacle. Some may say that it looks a bit too cinematic for their taste, but personally I think it’s a big improvement over what we had before. When a big battle takes place over Tobruk, I can just sit there and watch the fight from afar as bombers wreck the harbor and ignite the fuel reservoirs. Cliffs of Dover and Desert Wings also allow an impressive amount of units to coexist at once. There are missions where I had more than 80 aircraft, 30 anti-aircraft batteries and 10 ships all at once and I could still maintain a butter smooth 60 frames per second. Multiplayer stability is also solid from my experiences on the ATAG and Team Fusion servers. The way I always saw this particular simulator series is: once you’re up in the air and flying, it’s easy to forget about the messy GUI and just enjoy the show.

After reading this particular thread on the Il-2 forums, Team Fusion’s clear intentions of improving their sim makes me hopeful that Desert Wings is a title that is there to stay and grow with its playerbase. There appears to be plans for the addition of VR, the TrueSky weather engine, new clouds, SPEEDTREE, an increased level of detail for the terrain, control for ground and sea units… and much more.

The addition of flashcards is what I’ve been wanting for years from most of my sims. Did you forget how to use the bomb aimer station on the Wellington? It’s in there. Can’t remember what your engine limits are? It’s in there too. You can’t find that annoying fuel cock lever in that one plane variant you use once every blue moon? Yes. It’s. In. There. The Team Fusion Manual Creation team did a fantastic job of condensing a lot of useful information into a few one-pagers that are a few clicks away, and unlike some goofballs who take hundreds of pages to get you up to speed for a plane (cough cough) the flash card format does that quite effectively for a fraction of the page count. The format is uniform, the information is well laid out and relevant, and most important of all… it’s super useful! I’ve been advocating for flight sim developers to create this kind of documentation for years, and I’m glad Team Fusion finally bit the bullet and did it properly.

Part 5 – So… Is it worth it?

I’ve read a number of reviews, and I think you really have to sink in a few hours in the sim before you can manage to have an accurate impression of what Desert Wings Tobruk is. There is zero credibility to the claims that the game has no content, It’s not the shiniest and prettiest 2020 title around, but it more than makes it up in terms of gameplay, aircraft variety, mission types, and the overall feel of how the Desert War was in the air. If you’ve managed to read through the whole third part of this article, it’s quite evident that the plane roster is more than adequate for an Il-2 title. Aircraft variants aren’t limited to an up-rated engine or cosmetic items… they bring in new mission types, new kinds of armament and they show the never-ending struggle engineers and technicians had to strive for creating the best airplane they could do to win the war.

The Mediterranean Theatre is one of the most overlooked yet interesting pages of aviation history in terms of aircraft variety. There’s a bit of everything for fans of British, American, German, and Italian planes. The new warbirds aren’t cheap knock-offs; we’re not talking about modded planes, placeholder sounds and fudged performance lookup tables. We’re talking about something fresh, something that begs to be discovered…a real labour of love, if you will.

I wasn’t completely sure about how I felt about this sim until I hopped on multiplayer with the “old gang”. All it took was a few hours to get hooked back into the wonderful world of Il-2. It was “Reds” versus “Blues” all over again, people called out that Hun on their six, people butchered airfield names… and most importantly, I was having fun. Objectively, this is the kind of game that would likely never have been greenlit by anyone in the flight sim market due to the “obscure” historical setting, and I, for one, am glad Team Fusion was able to bring to us this worthy addition to the Il-2 series.

8 Likes

Thanks for this fantastically written series. I admit that I had originally not considered buying this (it would’ve been such an easy purchase in GB with career and VR and all…) but this series has changed my view on things.

What do you or anyone else thinks of the campaigns? Is there enough to do in there to warrant a buy from a pure single-player perspective? I’m especially keen to hear about the bombers and torpedo bombers since we don’t see stuff like that simulated very often!

1 Like

Thanks for writing and sharing this @Chuck_Owl! It was a very interesting and informative read!

The campaigns are fun. Don’t expect any voiceovers or super detailed briefings, but most of the time there’s enough to do to keep things fun. I flew a few missions from the Beaufighter, Gladiator, CR42, Bf109, Hurricane, P-40, Wellington, Stuka and D.520 campaigns but I didn’t finish them so I can’t really comment on how many missions each campaign has. I know some campaigns had 6 missions, but others have more. However, the Blue Wellingtons campaign does not feature torpedo attacks IIRC.

2 Likes

Compared to a DCS module or Il-2: BoX title, Tobruk gives you a ton of campaigns.

That said, Il-2 has the randomized career and Pat’s CG, and DCS has a vibrant user community, so they are easier to get SP content for. CloD pretty much has what is has, so it requires more out of the box.

They did a great job providing that, whatever your interests are.

1 Like

Thank you for such an amazing review, Chuck! It really means a lot to us!
Let’s not forget 100% of the flyable aircraft on the Cliffs Blitz/Tobruk series have clickable/interactive cockpits for some sim study. Radios and oxygen-related systems are not, but all the important functions are interactive with mouse-over labels over levers and knobs and info labels over instruments (like your altitude or speed, temps and etc…).

5 Likes

Welcome to Mudspike, @danperin! :mudspike:

Which will be great for VR! I hope that is still in the works…?

2 Likes

It is, mate. VR and TrueSky. :wink:

2 Likes

Really looking forward to that!

1 Like

It’s a different sim in VR.

Nuff said :shushing_face:

-sorry, just noticed this is over 2 years old… :confounded:

2 Likes

Have they released the VR version yet?

They’re still beta testing it, from what I understand?

2 Likes

No worries. With the closing of the web site, our admins graciously and tirelessly converted the many articles into forum posts so that they could be read. It’s an excellent read regardless.

1 Like

Well in all honesty I came here to read the articles - including older ones, as I often do. When I saw they were part of the forum now I thought I might as well become part of them, too! :smiley:

Yes, the VR is still in closed beta testing.

I don’t know if they are still taking on testers, I saw one of the devs mention that anyone interested should pm him - that was on Steam about 2 or 3 months ago. I sent him a pm on the IL-2 forum, so I’d suggest anyone interested tries it - although he told me he doesn’t monitor his pm’s there as much as on the ATAG forums.

sorry - I didn’t say who to pm - it’s Buzzsaw

3 Likes