Microsoft Flight Simulator - Post launch impressions

Just testing against reports of major airports being basically unusable due to FPS issues.

High-End Preset at 2K. Photogrammetry disabled because sometimes its just fugly.

Seems frames could be better, but on the other hand, approx 30fps has been the gold standard for many for quite a while.

Should be survivable…

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Better specs than me so I wouldn’t get 30 fps. 7700k and 1080 at 2k.

1 Like

Just discovered the King Air 350’s rudder pedals are backwards. That is, visually in the cockpit, the left pedal is pressed when you apply right rudder, and vice versa. Go try it yourself! :rofl:

Otherwise, it’s very cool. The scenery is awesome, and while it seems to mistake a lot of ponds for bright green patches of grass here in NE Texas, for the first time I can clearly tell exactly where I am flying around VFR in a sim. It’s so cool!

1 Like

Also, can someone tell me what the large red button behind the co-pilot’s seat in the 350 is?
I’ve never flown a 350, but the 200/250 does not have anything like that. To me, it looks suspiciously like a sim’s motion stop button. :thinking: Which would be hilarious if they faithfully recreated the CAE sim cockpit, down to that detail! :laughing:

I don’t mean to dog on Asobo, its awesome and I’m having a blast!

Just flew the first Bush Flying mission in California/Nevada. It’s a fun challenge to do though the instructions do not tell you the expected speed, just an ETE. The VFR map that is build in is pretty bad. Would be nice if it could show actual landmarks too, I think I’ll fly the next leg with Skyvector on my tablet.

There’s a lot of potential in this engine, it feels like a proper back-end and front-end update since FSX, the basics still need a lot of work though.

That’s a glitch in the Matrix. Someone will come and remove your house. :wink:

4 Likes

Was too busy to take any screenshots but it is a top class package already - the visuals when flying are just a level beyond anything.

Once I had set up my unsupported throttle and rudder pedals it is very easy to fly anything and the global landing challenges are a great laugh.

Some of the road traffic is hilarious…I landed at one airport and a truck appeared to be doing wheelie next to me!

Track IR works amazingly - high settings and 1080p is pretty resource intense for me but I did whack ground activity to about 90%.

What really threw me off was that unsupported devices show up with a completely empty key assignment screen, since the default filter is set to “assigned”.

But otherwise I am pretty happy with the UI.

I would love to see a scaling option for the map icons though, for example to make the icons for friends bigger, they get covered by airports and other stuff it seems, and turning all other icons types off one by one is a bit tedious.

Oh, and the VFR map is a bit crappy indeed.

I was once tailed by the forklift on a taxiway doing around 40 KTS!

1 Like

I haven’t had the best experience with it. After installing it it reccommended high settings ( I have an i52500k running at 3.2Ghz, GTX 1070 and 16gb of 3200 RAM - wasn’t expecting great performance, but…). Running at 1920x1080.

First flights were a stuttering, low fps mess, with fps in single figures. Weirdly, the performance seemed no worse at high settings, than at medium or low. Barely playable. At altitude it smoothed out a bit but pretty unplayable.

Crashing on exit too (Steam version).

I suppose I need a new PC…

overclock your CPU, it’s a 2500k that loves going up to 4.5ghz+. Helps a ton with modern games. I’ve got a setup much like you, a 2500K, 16gb of ram(although slower then yours) and a AMD RX 580 8GB.

Also make sure you have an XMP profile selected for your CPU/RAM combo. Should be a standard option in almost all motherboards!

Ha - you should be safe because one of the trucks decided to drive through my plane when I was parked at Cranfield yesterday.

Yes my disclaimer would be i7 8086K, RTX2080, 32GB RAM, SSDs and FTTP

I managed to get a couple of short flights in with the new fancy Cub and the Robin. I was really impressed with the visuals! I mean, at this point, that would be obvious :-). There were a few graphical glitches, and I was away from everyone else in Alaska so the FPS hit wasn’t much.

It was nice to see the World Map (in the Main Menu interface) showing everyone, I assume, taking part in the world. I think that the World Map shows people on all of the servers, and if you pic a particular server, you see that subset ‘In Game’. There were even a few people flying around New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI out here on the East coast of Canada - which was nice to see.

Systems wise, I didn’t notice much but I was only on for about an hour (after my download ‘pausing’ when I turned my monitor off (which removes some USB devices and that may have been the trigger)) and my Steam install getting confused with the peripherals detection - which was weird.

I am looking forward to dropping in again tonight. I was able to land the Robin on that small strip that @BeachAV8R selected for the Fly-In, coming in from the ‘hilly’ side was sporty :slight_smile:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Well, reinstalling again today, let’s pray… :frowning:

1 Like

Just a snapshot. Microsoft Flight Simulator - Steam Charts

2 Likes

Got a chance to play ‘house hunter’ in a 152 last night. One issue I had (and maybe I missed something) but pressing Escape key in flight, brings up the 3 menu options. I click any of those menu buttons, and it doesn’t bring up any of the actual menus. It’s like the menu is supposed to be there in the frame within the screen, but it just doesn’t load. Anyone else getting this as a bug? I couldn’t even exit the sim the ‘regular’ way, had to force quit. Biggest annoyance was inability to access sim controls and figure out basics like “how to use the camera” lol.

Given how long it takes to load the sim initially, I didn’t get a chance to fire things back up and see if that cleared it.

Also, need to tinker with settings, as it is a slide show at initial load, and then does fine, and then randomly hits major stutter patches.

Hmmmmm

2 Likes

Here you go, $8.

4 Likes