Mudspike Country Club

I was going to suggest the Skins Game, do they even still do that for real?

No. It ended in 2008.

Wheels

Not sure if I can set that up. Also you have to pony up cash.

I think skins is limited to two players and has to be specifically set up as a party event. Society events are just regular tournaments as far as I know.

1 Like

Nerve wracking second round of ups and downs. Definitely played the last nine holes a bit better. I couldnā€™t find a way to pick anything other than the default red tees (?). The course seemed long enough even from there thoughā€¦a couple Par 5s were out of reach for my second shot even after some booming drives. And again, those first two holes are murderously narrow. Sure is a pretty game though. Does the lighting and winds stay the same for everyone who plays the same tournament? I had light winds on this round from 2-7mph probably.

My second round winds were similar to yours.

I was hanging on to a decent run, peaking at -5 (IIRC), until a nightmare Par 3. Heavy Rough lie, HUD indicates the shot will have about 60%-70% power? Try less than 10%. Twice! I think I was 4 or 5 over on that hole. Ouch.

I was hanging on the edge with each shot. Every birdie seemed to only be offsetting a bogey.

Great fun!

1 Like

:smile: Yeah, I think I had an 8 in the last tournamentā€¦and I remember distinctly screwing up the last hole with a double bogey or triple or something. I tried to put the water hazards out of my mind in my last roundā€¦I think 16 and 17 or something had them? I was playing towards the fat sides of the fairway and greens and hoping I wouldnā€™t get one of those nutty bottom of the swing twitches that would send my ball zipping off in an adventurous direction. I did manage to hit two tree branches in that roundā€¦thankfully the balls made it through and dropped just beyond the trees. My stats showed something like 80% fairways and 52% greens in regulation. Hard to believe I posted a sub-par round with the awful greens statistic.

That was a nice course. Looking forward to the next tournament. Hopefully we can get together and play a round online too.

I hate this game and love it at the same time. So frustrating.

A shocking +20 for the first round of the Desert Strike open, then missed a par on the 18th to finish -2 under for the second round.

I am still using beginner clubs and this course really showed I have problems with my length (ahem - :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), so may have to start practising more with the pro clubs.

Loving the tournies though as its great from a timezone and working away from home perspective. A Ryder Cup style event would be good fun if the game supported it, though on my form I donā€™t think Iā€™d make the cut for the Europeans. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What did you drink between Round 1 and Round 2? Drink more of it. :rofl:

1 Like

The Turboprop Challenge at Blackberry Ridge is one gorgeous golf course. I couldnā€™t concentrate on my game for the views!

Had a less than stellar even round for the first round. Tight course in some spotsā€¦some nerve wracking shots around some water. And it looks like winds are around 6-11 mph, so be prepared to make some corrections for that. I think I hit every sand trap on the courseā€¦

This drive should make you a little nervousā€¦ :fearful:

That course looks like somewhere @fearlessfrog should be at home with. Mountains. Snow. I was looking for bears in the woods. Not that I was in the woods. Never.

Need to get back in the mix in these havenā€™t played in a while.

So to say this has been a rough season so far has been an understatement. Buoyed by the fact I wasnā€™t dead last during the previous outing I went in to the Turboprop Challenge with some optimism, but not much. The front 9 of rd 1 was typical shite, +4 after 7 holes, then a birdie and par to close the front 9 at a somewhat garbage (for a video game) +3. The Back 9 was a mix of 4 birdies and 2 bogies, not the smoothest, but brought the 1st rd score to a somewhat respectable +1

The front 9 of rd 2 picked up where the first 9 started, terrible. 5 bogies mixed with 2 birdies put me once again at +3 for the front 9. Then it finally happened, not sure what went right but the back 9 was all positive birding 6 out of the 9 holes with not bogies for -6 on the back 9 and -3 for the round. I even managed to birdie a hole after smacking a tree trunk dead on a few yards in front of me. Either way, total score of -2. Yay!

2 Likes

giphy

1 Like

1 Like

Horrendousā€¦ 19 over tournament for me. I really struggled to get the pace of the greens. Too many 3 putts, not helped with a 9 on the first round.

Anyone for darts? :grinning:

4 Likes

Did you try switching your in-game character to lefty? Does it make a difference for the game feel?

1 Like

I was chasing you all during the second round. I had a very, very ugly mid part of my round going double-bogey, bogey through the turn. I really thought it was out of reach at that point - I think I was four strokes back going into #12. Somehow managed to birdie four of the final seven because I just started aiming right at the hole. Great fun reaching the 18th teebox knowing you have to birdie to tieā€¦! Fun stuff and definitely was an intense final few holesā€¦

1 Like

dammiā€¦ I mean congrats :joy: I do know what you mean with the chase though. Even being the first one to complete both rounds I knew that finishing tied with your first round score wasnā€™t going to cut it, so the birdie on the last hole to put me momentarily ahead felt huge. queue another ā€œthatā€™s what she saidā€

1 Like

The multiplayer game dynamic is somewhat interesting. Well, multiplayer in the sense that we are playing, but playing at different times. Iā€™m not sure how the game determines when to show you the entire fields scores. I think by hole 11 or 12, it was showing your score through the 18th, so I knew what I had to match or beat, which obviously changes your psychology on how to play. If I know Iā€™m up by three or four strokes, I play conservatively. If Iā€™m down by a bunch, I play super-aggressively (which can go both ways as we all know). In real life, the tee-times on the final day usually have the leaders playing together in the final pairings, so you normally might not know what you are shooting for unless previously in the day someone really made a hard charge early. I have not seen though, an instance where I finished a round and on the 18th hole it showed a close competitor on a hole behind me, which I would think should happen sometimes.

The long and the short of it is - the players who play latest in the event probably have a slight advantage in knowing where the bar is set. Iā€™m not sure if there is a way to balance that (can the other player scores not be shown until the end of the event?). I like to know how Iā€™m doing against the field thoughā€¦it definitely makes each round more exciting (or depressing in some casesā€¦lolā€¦ā€œI should have went fishing today!ā€)ā€¦

1 Like

For some reason, neither have I. :joy:

Mudspike Fishing Club matches, nice :+1:

1 Like