Mudspike Country Club

Ha…that’s a good one. Today I found I was having better luck by holding the controller in front of my face and concentrating on the stick with the golfer in my periphery. I was getting the vertical down and up movement a bit more precise than just holding my controller in my lap. Still can’t seem to get all the power out of the back and forth movement though…I mean, it is saying 100% power, but the back stroke is often way beyond that sweet spot. I did manage a 300 yard drive finally today. And I upgraded to the Pro clubs (middle level I think that is?)…

1 Like

Found the setting…

I wonder do the XP points and levels maybe also make the required precision for shots higher? I really do think it got harder after about my fourth or fifth round…

In my experience (which is brief!) There is a left/right element injected to your swing by both your swing path (the line drawn) and your downstroke speed.

A swing path line leading left or right simply pushes the ball that way.

The downswing is a bit more subtle.

• On a Perfect result, the club face is simulated to have struck the ball squarely (not opened or closed).
  • A Fast or Very Fast result simulates a closed strike, with the ball drawing in toward your golfer.
  • A Slow or Very Slow result simulates an open strike, pushing the ball away from your golfer.

And each of these layers also interact with each other. So for example with a swing plane that pushes away, and a Slow or Very Slow down swing… they are additive and I’m getting a very seriously right-bound shot.

The design seem focused on a more “feel” based approach, with the timing and pace of the back and fore swing tempo contributing as much as the technical performance of making a straight control input.

If my golf terminology is amiss, my apologies. It’s not a sport I’m involved with at all.

2 Likes

I think you’re right @adlabs6 - in that the pace of the downswing decides the open/close left/right nature of the strike quite a lot. It’s an interesting way to simulate the consistency needed in golf, even if it does feel a bit like a game mechanic rather than pure physics.

Hips don’t lie! :wink:

1 Like

The downswing is painful. If I see very slow one more time Imma lose my mind. Ruining my rounds.

That said, just posted an even round to make the cut at the Caramel Creek (great course).

2 Likes

I draw comfort from your pain, in that I thought I was going mad. We just need @Troll to build us a robot now and the green jacket is ours!. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And it also feels like there is a difference in pace/timing between the woods and irons, maybe wedges too. For me at least, a timing and pace that gives a generally consistent result for my driver doesn’t work on my iron shots.

2 Likes

So you’re saying the beer definitely isn’t helping…

3 Likes

Yeah, yeah, yeah… I’m on it, ok?

2 Likes

I’m getting ready to change my steam name toV. Slow so it shows up like that on the leaderboards. Stupid very slow downswing.

1 Like

Is there any benefit to using pro clubs vs beginner? Do you get more drive distance or something? Or just more difficult?

I seem to be getting about 15-20 yards more than saghen. He’s using beginner, I’m using pro. But I also shank mine more often. They are less forgiving it seems.

I went back to beginner clubs and am completely paranoid about ‘v slow’ so tend to twitch that stick like I’m generating power now.

I can’t believe you only get $73 for winning a tournament. What a rip!

1 Like

I can’t believe you win that tournent at +2 :wink:

1 Like

@fearlessfrog looks like he might just as likely pull a hockey stick out of his bag rather than a 5 iron. “Hey…is that pond frozen over??”

frog1

I picked it up as well to be a hack lol.

1 Like

Have you guys figured out the shot landing zone? Often times I find my self going long. If the pin is 160 yards, and the club says it will carry 160 yards, does that include the ball rolling?

1 Like

I think so, but only in a completely level plane and even then it’s more of an “avg max”. But since backspin is mostly just theoretically possible (it is but you need to mess with shot types and plenty of other things and still gives lack luster results) I usually club down and play the long bounces unless it is a real steep increase in elevation or a very heavy wind as if you are hitting it perfect or close to perfect it does tend to play long.

2 Likes

First two holes reminded me that I probably should have played a warm-up round after several months off. But a nice end to the front 9 pulled half of those miscues back. After getting down to +2 things started getting a bit sideways on me, but managed to keep the bleeding to a minimum and then… slice, slice slice. After hitting perfect up and down on my timing I sliced 3 straight shots into the drink to start off 15. Being 1 over par for the hole and still on the tee before my shot only sliced onto the rocks this time, I’d like to think I salvaged the best possible result from there on out. Excluding added shots for landing in the water once on the first hole and 3 times on 15, that would have actually have been a decent round.

3 Likes