Mudspike Country Club

@BeachAV8R great recommendation on this game. And for $12 dollars, can’t beat it. Reminded me how much I use to enjoy the tiger woods games. Anyone still on the fence about this one, if you enjoy golf games, it’s a no brainer. I don’t know if the courses are licensed actual courses, but the swing mechanics and graphics are excellent.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is pretty addictive. I always wished I had more time to take up the real golf habit. I played in high school on a team and then walked away from it after graduation. My brother went on to become a PGA pro (non-touring) and my dad is a scratch golfer. So the game satisfies an itch that is obviously in my DNA :joy:

I’ve been having a great time this week flipping back and forth between golf and flying VTOL VR. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Argh. So I was playing the Shriners, and finished my first round with a 150+ yard hole out… it was glorious. But because it was the last hole, I couldn’t save the replay. And it seems it doesn’t save ghosts from PGA Tour mode?? So lame. Blah. Was such a good shot. Anyway, good first round!

1 Like

Nice multiplayer rounds tonight @saghen and @Rhinosaurus. Some ups and downs, and some interesting layouts on some of those courses.

Putting… still evades me. I’ve got to find some kind of feel for it.

2 Likes

If it is any consolation, my putting is terrible too.

I’m horrible in that area of 15 to 20 yards from the pin when I’m having to pitch the ball from just off the fringe. Sometimes the flop shot is too far, so you are forced into the pitch…and 30% of the time I end up trying to take too much off it and just fluff it up barely onto the green, and the other 30% I don’t take enough off and the ball skitters past the pin 25 feet. That is definitely the weakest part of my game…

Pitch or chip? That sounds more like a chip. Minimum pitch is 55yds

1 Like

Yea, beyond 8 foot and it’s a tossup whether it sinks. Happily, I can usually two-putt from most any situation, but that’s really keeping me at par or bogey for most approaches.

What I’m going to work on is landing closer to the pin. Right now IIRC my average has been around 30 feet or so. It would be helpful to get that below 15.

1 Like

Yes…that was what I meant to say…chip…I suck at chipping…

I noticed that on my shorter distance clubs like the 7,8,9,PW I’m tending to adjust too much for wind and green slope. Unless the wind is much above 10mph OR if you really have to play the slope of the green, I think I need to just aim at the flag and hit it. I’ve noticed a lot of my good, straight shots with those clubs are ending up exactly where I aimed them to go…8 or 9’ left or right of the pin because I thought they would drift onto the pin in the wind, and they don’t (most of the time). There sure is a nice feeling of satisfaction though when you arc a shot into the wind, hit the green just right, and it curves down a slope to nestle up near the hole.

I’m still learning just how much increasing the loft of the club takes off the range too. Sometimes the next club lower just doesn’t have the oomph…but the proper club will have me going long. So rather than try to depower my swing (I cannot tailor my swing to like 80% or 90%…I just can’t do it) I just adjust the loft to hopefully take some power off the ball. Of course, as you do that, the “perfect swing” corridor gets narrower, but heck…after a few beers I’m not even looking at that thing anyway… :rofl:

2 Likes

Lol 30 feet. I am way over that according to the stats. I don’t believe it.

Excellent -10 round at the Shriners to put me 10 strokes ahead of the field. Highlight was a 57 foot putt sunk for an eagle… replay is on my player profile… just make sure you keep changing angles to see the put while it plays, because the stands get it in the way.

1 Like

Nice…! That was the tournament that got my confidence up…I think I shot -9 in the first round and went on to win the tournament. Then I think I missed the cut in the next tournament… :rofl:

Ya, Summerlin is a pretty friendly course.

1 Like

So the roundup for my PGA Career thus far:

T97 The Golf Club Open
DNQ Champions Invitational
4th Transatlantic Championship (Alternate)
1st Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
CUT Tall Palms Classic (shot a 76)
T4 Green Hill Classic
T16 Juno Cup
T5 Reverie Open

So I’m sort of all over the place. Only one trophy from the PGA Tour in my cabinet (Shriners). Getting ready to start the Waste Management Open…

1 Like

Pretty good. You’re a fair bit ahead of me even accounting for the longer tournaments I’m playing. Gonna have to catch up.

1 Like

I’ll change mine to four round tournaments. I had them set to two rounds but I think I’d like for them to be longer…might give me a chance to pull back. That last tournament I clawed back from about a 7 stroke deficit but ran out of holes…

1 Like

I enjoyed my two best rounds on Faxon Park last night, under par on each round, closing out my tournament nicely.

A contributing factor was switching to Pro clubs. They are only slightly more challenging than Beginner clubs, but most importantly their longer drive distances leave me with shorter (and for me, more predictable) iron shots landing on the green.

1 Like

Yeah, I switched to Pro clubs a few tournaments ago and I like them pretty well. I’m finally edging out 300 yard drives, which puts a lot of Par 5s in reach for eagle opportunities. They are a bit less forgiving with regards to accuracy, but, just like the real game of golf, I find my accuracy improves if I play consistently. All I know is that I’m thrilled to death when I par the first hole in any tournament because that is usually the disaster hole I struggle with as I’m trying to find that first little bit of swing tempo.

I’d be interested to know what exactly the XP points are doing for me - anyone have a link that shows what affect they have on the player performance?

I didn’t know we could do this too:

“Users can now compete in head to head or 3-4 player Skins matches , wagering points or by putting their virtual currency on the line.”