NATO Ministry of Information video thread

https://youtu.be/v8nPXHAijds

4 Likes

It is as if a clothes iron and a maul had a child…

1 Like

Alright, I’m a sucker for old films reguarding military aircraft. Found this one about the EA-6B, and while it’s more of an overview, I found it very interesting and informative.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t even bother showing that kind of stuff to my wife anymore. And when I do she either rolls her eyes at me, or just stares at me like I’m an idiot.:rofl:

I’ve always wondered this myself, to me looks like she would roll like crazy.

If you thought that was beautiful…:grin:

https://youtu.be/szpFwcUsqiY

2 Likes

@chipwich will enjoy this one…I think he is a Phanatic… I felt like I needed a cigarette after watching it…

11 Likes

That’s a beautiful video. Thanks for linking Beach :+1:.

2 Likes

When the C-17 pilot wanted to be a fighter pilot…

5 Likes

I love those things. We have a few based at brize norton up the road a few miles from us and they are just phenomenal things to watch when they are doing tactical flight training.
between those and the A400m atlas and the C130J our local tactical transport fleet is seriously badass.
for a refuelling and transport nerd like myself it’s definitely the place to be!

1 Like

Carrier ops circa 1962 in HD. How times have changed lol.

https://youtu.be/JROmHzavjA8

5 Likes

I used to fly with an ex-C17 driver. He had nothing but good things to say about it.

1 Like

Cool video, really noticed how all of them used catapult bridles instead of dedicated arms on the nose gear.

Wheels

1 Like

The extensive use of bridles also caught my attention. I also noticed all the aircraft shown lacked nose wheel steering, that must have been a joy for both the pilots and yellow shirts when moving the aircraft around.

2 Likes

Missed that, but I agree that had to be a real pain in the rear.

Wheels

1 Like

Man, I would’ve loved to have seen more footage of those Skyrays, personally.

Especially paired with the lack of available deck space that came with those old, tiny SCB-125 Essex class, I can’t imagine that there was a very fast frequency of launch and landing cycles during flight deck certification or carrier quals. Must’ve taken FOREVER to get those done.

Also, the ABE’s (green shirts) diving into the steam troughs for the catapults to attach the bridles - that’s honestly insane. Essex-class ships had a superheated steam plant that IIRC was rated at 600 psig (I’ll verify that with a buddy of mine who volunteers on the Yorktown), which means that steam is in the neighborhood of 800 degrees F leaving the boilers. Which means, even going through the catapult headers and into the accumulators, you’re still looking at very, VERY hot steam there floating around the catapult trough there, and they’re diving into it between each launch. It’s making me shudder just thinking about it.

2 Likes

Amazing video thanks for posting I really enjoyed it!

Mad respect for Navy gals and guys.

3 Likes

Good CF-188 video, startup to shutdown

4 Likes