NATO Ministry of Information video thread

That was a great video and I’m incredibly jealous of Chris (though he has worked hard to get the opportunity!).

And as he points out in the video - he only got to fly the older version without some of the newest cool toys!

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t realize what a war wagon the P-8 Poseidon is.

4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Harrowing story but with a good ending

2 Likes

Not sure if this is legit (or maybe posted before). But the video title indicates an F-14 flying this year.

Probably my favorite fighter design. I only ever saw one Tomcat in person. Flying overhead, back around 1990 or so. A fantastic sight and sound. Interesting to think that at least one is still able to take flight.

1 Like

Someday we’re going to look back at Iran the way we look at Vietnam today. Well, maybe not so much with the same sympathy. But certainly with grudging respect. By now they’ve practically rebuilt those Tomcats several times over. I’d argue that they’ve made more progress in advancing cheap, highly sophisticated aviation in ways that surpass the west, or at least the US. I’m not asking anyone to ride along with me on that opinion. But we can all agree that the Tomcat is still one of the coolest jets flying. Cool post. Thanks @adlabs6!

2 Likes

The problem we have in the west is that we tend to conflate an entire people with the regime they live under.

I have had friends visit Iran as tourists and they have all been unequivocal that it is an amazing destination, the scenery, history and the friendliest people on the planet who have no hesitation inviting complete strangers into their homes for a meal, or even offers of a bed for the night. Just a pity that they were followed by men in cheap leather jackets just about everywhere they went.

China is the same. Wonderful people, most of whom just want the same things you and I do and couldn’t give a fig about domestic, let alone global politics… shame about the CCP.

11 Likes

I blame the Tomcat for my first semester 1.4 GPA at Old Dominion University in Norfolk (well…there was also the small matter of my introduction to Milwaukee’s Best…shudder…). Instead of attending classes…I would often skip class and go watch A-6s and F-14s do pattern work over at Oceana. I was a dependant at that time…so had base access. I would sit there for hours and watch them. Didn’t learn a damn thing about economics or marine biology sitting there… :rofl:

10 Likes

7 Likes

And arriving in Finland:

6 Likes

Not playing Ride of the Valkyries with that video was a big missed opportunity… Huge! :wink:

7 Likes

Agreed!

5 Likes
3 Likes

Not sure if this was posted anywhere yet. But for @Troll and all the other Viggen fans :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not a video but really nice pictures of Europe’s last Fishbeds

1 Like

Battle of Britain memorial flight sadly lost a spitfire this afternoon, more sadly, the pilot was lost as well.
Blue skies. Very sad indeed

3 Likes

Oh no…
I heard about a crash, but nothing more.

1 Like

Very sad to hear this. There is a lot to be said for keeping these wonderful aircraft flying…but it will always come at a cost. My thoughts and sympathies go out to the pilot’s family and loved ones.

6 Likes

An incredible loss to be honest. My friend was running a show that was renaming the steam locomotive he works tirelessly to keep steaming which is named in honour of 92 squadron. The spitifire is also painted in those markings.
I can imagine it was extremely sad to find out the reason for it missing its flypast slot. So sad

1 Like